Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone willing to admit they're already starting to relax restrictions?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    The 2km goes on beyond the 5th and I will be ignoring it. I am sticking to the rules and there should be some reward for that with an easing. And I would see as many people sticking to 2km as I would not. It's becoming harder and harder to see the same few streets everyday with no sign of an end.

this is a bizarre attitude.

It's not a game we're playing, where if you're good, you get a reward.

It's either necessary in the eyes of the experts to continue with restrictions, or it's not.

the criteria has to be the spreading of the virus, health services, deaths etc., and not people sick of looking at the same roads while out on their walks.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The 2km goes on beyond the 5th and I will be ignoring it. I am sticking to the rules and there should be some reward for that with an easing. .

The whole "people not dying" isnt enough of a reward so?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Supercell wrote:
    Its the two km rule that maybe partially the cause of the increasing disobedience to my mind. Tell people they cannot do something and whats the thing they want to do the most? If we are allowing planes in from all and sundry with no restrictions how can you turn around and tell the public to stay within 2km of their homes when almost no other country (or maybe none) is doing so? People have access to the internet, its patently ridiculous otherwise every other country would be implementing it. Clearly our number of infections doesn't seem to be one jot different to those without such a rule, that why people are disobeying it in increasing numbers. If you want people to obey the rules in a democracy they need to make sense and stuff like the 2 km rule is far too overreaching and it seems people are voting with their feet so to speak.

Plenty of countries are doing that. Some even have blankets ban on leaving your house for exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

GreeBo wrote: »
    Well, not putting the health system and ICU pressure is at the top of the list, otherwise your deaths could go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

It is not just about this? What about people's health? I'm overdue three different medical appointment's over the virus. If the 2km was not there the only difference for me would be I can exercise further from home and actually see things and enjoy a bit of life. People need some more space to breathe.

We'll see a lot of people dead from these restrictions if they continue in this manner or worse as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

You do realise that restrictions are going to have to be lifted soon, on another thread yesterday a poster relayed how their partner died as a result of a heart operation being postponed because of the Covid crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭keybordWarrior

The 2km goes on beyond the 5th and I will be ignoring it. I am sticking to the rules and there should be some reward for that with an easing. And I would see as many people sticking to 2km as I would not. It's becoming harder and harder to see the same few streets everyday with no sign of an end.

Reward? Are you a child? It should go on as long as it needs to. Asking the government to know what will happen after 5th is like asking how long is a piece of string.

titan18 wrote: »
    Plenty of countries are doing that. Some even have blankets ban on leaving your house for exercise.

Countries where they allow you walk your dog but the people are not allowed walk. Now that would really tip people over the edge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Tandey

You do realise that restrictions are going to have to be lifted soon, on another thread yesterday a poster relayed how their partner died as a result of a heart operation being postponed because of the Covid crisis.

Strange that. I watched a surgeon guy from a hospital in Dublin on the news a few days ago complaining that he wasn’t busy as their weren’t many people coming in for their operations out of fear.

Reward? Are you a child? It should go on as long as it needs to. Asking the government to know what will happen after 5th is like asking how long is a piece of string.

It's a manner of speaking. How much of a child are you to focus in one one word instead the actual sentiment of what I am saying. I appreciate they had to do the restrictions but if others are not going to abide then why should anyone else? People who break the restrictions do not seem to get any ramifications out of it. Either enforce it or forget about it.

• Advertisement

It's a manner of speaking. How much of a child are you to focus in one one word instead the actual sentiment of what I am saying. I appreciate they had to do the restrictions but if others are not going to abide then why should anyone else? People who break the restrictions do not seem to get any ramifications out of it. Either enforce it or forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭SteM

polesheep wrote: »
    I disagree. I think that it's the lack of a plan from the government that is the issue.

There are certain people that will blame the government for sure. But I believe in personal responsibility, people breaking rules are doing it because they're bored pure and simple. They are making the decision to break the current rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

The danger is a worse outbreak with tougher restrictions that will be enforced
    Think I'd rather stick with it now to avoid that later
    No pain no gain

Tandey wrote: »
    Strange that. I watched a surgeon guy from a hospital in Dublin on the news a few days ago complaining that he wasn’t busy as their weren’t many people coming in for their operations out of fear.

Because consultants appointments are being cancelled. A family member here is in a sling for 5 weeks now and their consultant appointment to see if they need an operation was cancelled for next week with no indications when they will be seen

It is not just about this? What about people's health? I'm overdue three different medical appointment's over the virus. If the 2km was not there the only difference for me would be I can exercise further from home and actually see things and enjoy a bit of life. People need some more space to breathe.

We'll see a lot of people dead from these restrictions if they continue in this manner or worse as well.

If your appointments were cancelled them I'g guessing they are not critical or life threatening.

Funny how you mention people need space to breathe considering those who succumb to COVID-10 die gasping for a breath.

Tandey wrote: »

So you are suggesting someone needing a life saving operation will cancel it because they are afraid of getting a virus that may or may not kill them. Ok so.

Because consultants appointments are being cancelled. A family member here is in a sling for 5 weeks now and their consultant appointment to see if they need an operation was cancelled for next week with no indications when they will be seen

But this doc was telling people to come in and not be afraid. Who is cancelling these appointments? Tony Holohan? Wouldn’t be surprised, see cervical check scandal for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

emo72 wrote: »
    i think you need to bring the people with you. i dont think people will put up with this indefinitely. we need a roadmap out of this.

But thats the point, the communication from the gov has been very poor from the start, no surprise given the calibre of public servant we have at the highest levels in this country.

The simple fact is our reproduction rate is about 0.7 at the moment and that is only after a month of a lockdown, if it gets to even 1.2 we are screwed. On the 5th of May the gov may ease the 2km limit and suggest some businesses can reopen but this is not going to apply to pubs , restaurants , churches , cinemas etc ... If the Reproduction number increases they will reimpose a lockdown whether people like it or not.

The irony is the Swedes have 1000 fewer cases than we do and they havent imposed a lockdown, meanwhile the Danes imposed a lockdown sooner than we did and have less than half of our cases, this illustrates the importance of timing when it comes to imposing a lockdown. if you get the timing wrong even by 10 days as i believe we did then the efficacy of a lockdown is diminished.

Its important to clarify that while they have fewer cases, Sweden have double the number of deaths that we do, basically Sweden have sacrificed their most vulnerable by not locking down which I think is unconscionable.

The Irish gov have elected to go the route of a lockdown which is fine but to maximise its effect the gov need to commit to it and be unremitting otherwise we will be back in lockdown again by the middle of May.

They will be lifted when it makes sense to do so...not to reward people for being good.

1 anecdote about someone dying is meaningless, I'm sure I can find some stat regarding people who have been saved by the restrictions.

So you are suggesting someone needing a life saving operation will cancel it because they are afraid of getting a virus that may or may not kill them. Ok so.

Where did I suggest that?

Stop making stuff up to suit yourself good chap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭keybordWarrior

Again, it's this childish attitude. Don't worry so much about what others are doing, just do you're own part. Even if people are breaking the restrictions you don't need to join them and make it even worse. Maybe they'll get coronavirus, but you won't so the health system won't need to worry about you. Every little helps in this situation.

By that logic if 1 single person doesnt, then nobody should!
    How about just focus on the 1 idiot rather than allow more idiots to join them?
    We are not (well most of us) Lemmings.

/edit
    Btw your argument has gone from:
    "But I'm being a good boy mommy"
    to
    "But all the others boys are allowed mommy"

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Tough life isn't it. :rolleyes:

We have never lived in easier times with endless distractions at our fingertips but some puppies need a reward. God help us.

They will be lifted when it makes sense to do so...not to reward people for being good.

1 anecdote about someone dying is meaningless, I'm sure I can find some stat regarding people who have been saved by the restrictions.

I have no interest in this reward or behave BS.
    The lockdown has caused deaths unless you decide every claim is a baseless anecdote.
    If you can provide a stat to make that claim feel free to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I'm not consciously but I do find that I don't check the daily numbers or news anymore, it's no longer really at the forefront of my mind and I'm pretty lax about the 2km.

I don't act the bollox like organise a party or something but if I need to go do something, I will do it.

This can't go on months/indefinitely, I suspect (although they mightn't admit it) that people will tire of it and just start relaxing themselves bit by bit as this goes on.

I've reached the "second nature" stage of this crisis, and have also removed all links on my bookmarks related to it. I have gotten used to living the way I am currently living now, and have gotten into the habit of wearing gloves and taking a sanitiser with me whenever I go out, as well as not going into the same isle as two or more people in a shop. The only thing that's killing me is I can't go near, pick up, or play with my 1 year old nephew whenever I visit my mother in law's (well I can play with him but the best I can do is kick a float-away to him just to hear him laugh). We all just sit in the garden but don't go near each other, it's horrible.

It also sucks that I can't go down to Tramore and visit my own mum (I'm living in Kilkenny).

Those are the only two things I'm struggling with. Everything else is as if I've always done it.

In terms of restrictions being lifted, though, I can't say I'd be comfortable with it. Just because we've done well maintaining the precautions necessary doesn't mean we should be rewarded, as the person above said.

There's this bizarre mindset people have that think that just because our numbers aren't as bad as certain other countries, somehow means we're safer from the virus. We're safer BECAUSE we've been maintaining the precautions. If we lift restrictions, we'll be right back where we were at the start, potentially worse.

By that logic if 1 single person doesnt, then nobody should!
    How about just focus on the 1 idiot rather than allow more idiots to join them?
    We are not (well most of us) Lemmings.

/edit
    Btw your argument has gone from:
    "But I'm being a good boy mommy"
    to
    "But all the others boys are allowed mommy"

Ok thanks mommy. You've convinced me, the lockdown is a fabulous idea and I love it now.

FWIW I do feel like people will go mad if the 2km is lifted and a minority will ruin it for the majority. I'm just incredibly frustrated by a situation which does not seem to have any light at the end of the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Says who?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Tough life isn't it. :rolleyes:

We have never lived in easier times with endless distractions at our fingertips but some puppies need a reward. God help us.

I saw a good one a while ago, something about how "your grandparents went to war. All you were asked to do is stay home" or something. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 Unelected CMO

Mortelaro wrote: »
    The danger is a worse outbreak with tougher restrictions that will be enforced
    Think I'd rather stick with it now to avoid that later
    No pain no gain

There are no ‘tougher restrictions’ that the Gardai and/ or the ‘Army’ would have any ability to actually enforce.

This has gone on long enough. It is insane, not rooted in reality and incredibly more destructive to society than this virus.

Time for Leo and the lads to sack up and make the tough decisions for the good of the country. Two doctors running the country isn’t working and their petty, priest like scolding only makes me want to ignore them and their idiotic measures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Allinall wrote: »
    this is a bizarre attitude.

It's not a game we're playing, where if you're good, you get a reward.

It's either necessary in the eyes of the experts to continue with restrictions, or it's not.

the criteria has to be the spreading of the virus, health services, deaths etc., and not people sick of looking at the same roads while out on their walks.

It's really odd how these restrictions have caused some people to revert to an almost juvenile state of wanting treats for good behaviour. I've heard of a lot of people mentioning things like this, as if they're only complying with restrictions because they're told rather than actually understanding and appreciating why they're acting this way and what benefit it has for themselves and others.

Not getting the treats then results in tantrums and threats. It's completely surreal to see so many adults behaving like that.

Advertisement