Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone willing to admit they're already starting to relax restrictions?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Antares35 wrote: »
    Says who?

Logic, when you reach the tipping point that a devastated economy and mental health crisis will cause more deaths than Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Leo , Tony, Simon. Heros 2 weeks ago and now people starting to turn on them

Can people not see that this virus is new to everyone and they are trying their best . People shouting for restrictions to be changed / lifted just because they want to get out again.

The same people will be complaining if another wave comes and blaming the government for not doing more.

Ivan yates bleating on about the city west 4000 bed hosp not being used. Well I for one will say thank god it didnt have to be used, but who knows what's ahead.

Antares35 wrote: »
    I saw a good one a while ago, something about how "your grandparents went to war. All you were asked to do is stay home" or something. :)

It wasn't actually a good one, here's why . When their grandparents went to war the pubs, restaurants, cinemas etc were still open. The government at the time knew keeping people in bunkers would save them but destroy moral.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

There are no ‘tougher restrictions’ that the Gardai and/ or the ‘Army’ would have any ability to actually enforce.

This has gone on long enough. It is insane, not rooted in reality and incredibly more destructive to society than this virus.

Time for Leo and the lads to sack up and make the tough decisions for the good of the country. Two doctors running the country isn’t working and their petty, priest like scolding only makes me want to ignore them and their idiotic measures

Someone has a problem with Authority it seems.

2 doctors running the country during a pandemic seems ideal, what would you prefer, A mechanic, electrican, accountant, farmer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

Time for Leo and the lads to sack up and make the tough decisions for the good of the country. Two doctors running the country isn’t working and their petty, priest like scolding only makes me want to ignore them and their idiotic measures

You sound like a level headed chap, I'd say you would take a good crack off running things, what ya think?

Nice new shiny account by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 Unelected CMO

Someone has a problem with Authority it seems.

2 doctors running the country during a pandemic seems ideal, what would you prefer, A mechanic, electrican, accountant, farmer?

Nolan is a University President who has been preoccupied for years with remaking Maynooth as a US style University- hardly a man with his finger on the pulse of current research

Holohan is a GP deeply involved in the Cervical Cancer scandal cover up,

Neither have been elected. This is a democracy. To answer your question, I would prefer the democratically elected government be in charge of the country. To put a finer point I wish they wouldn’t have pissed all over the constitution to satiate the public thirst for fear and panic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭trapp

Nolan is a University President who has been preoccupied for years with remaking Maynooth as a US style University- hardly a man with his finger on the pulse of current research

Holohan is a GP deeply involved in the Cervical Cancer scandal cover up,

Neither have been elected. This is a democracy. To answer your question, I would prefer the democratically elected government be in charge of the country. To put a finer point I wish they wouldn’t have pissed all over the constitution to satiate the public thirst for fear and panic.

I agree with the broad point that the elected ministers need to run the country.

Nolan seems like a nice fellow and seems very competent.

But running the country they should not be.

I think that we will see an extension of the current restrictions until after the June holiday, based purely on the fact that it is the easy decision for Leo. The easy way out, for now, in true ‘kick the can down the road’ style. He can just point to the doctors. It’s the lowest risk strategy for him politically

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

We have stuck too it, I am still going to work so am going out my husband is working at home he gets up showers and shaves goes for a short walk, puts work clothes on no sloping around in a T-shirt. Then at the weekend puts a T-shirt and shorts on.

I think the secret to it is to have a routine so as today is Friday I am going to have a few drinks which is my normal weekend routine if I am not working, then I zooming my children. We are having themed dinners at the weekends, tonights is 7 layer nacho Mexican and tomorrow will be a Greek meal.

At the weekend we are going to do the Garden.

In other words, we haven't turned feral which is happening to a few.

I know its hard for some but you have to keep on top of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

GreeBo wrote: »
    If your appointments were cancelled them I'g guessing they are not critical or life threatening.

Funny how you mention people need space to breathe considering those who succumb to COVID-10 die gasping for a breath.

What if it is an appointment for an endoscopy? A routine endoscopy can show up a cancer, which, if treated immediately can have a good outcome. A postponed endoscopy can mean that cancer reaching the point where the outcome could be much worse and even result in an unnecessary death.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I think that we will see an extension of the current restrictions until after the June holiday, based purely on the fact that it is the easy decision for Leo. The easy way out, for now, in true ‘kick the can down the road’ style. He can just point to the doctors. It’s the lowest risk strategy for him politically

I think it's pretty clear the restrictions are starting to fail. It's been busier day-on-day all week in Dublin.

Dublin Bus sees more passengers amid fears over greater public activity

I reckon people will continue to flout the restrictions even if they are extended from May 5th. Some tough decisions ahead from the Government. They will either have to extend the restrictions and require Gardaí to get much tougher with enforcement or take a gamble and allow things to become more relaxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

You seriously think this is about low risk strategy for him politically ?

You seriously think he makes the decision on his own ?

I will agree we will more than likely see and extension and it's nothing to do with the government or HSE .

IT'S BECAUSE SOME PEOPLE WON'T DO WHAT THEY ARE ASKED TO DO

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Just back from a nice long drive and a walk up one of the The Burren mountains. Great day for it.

Just checked on the map there it's 45km away. I haven't died yet but I'll let you know how I get on.

SAMTALK wrote: »

IT'S BECAUSE SOME PEOPLE WON'T DO WHAT THEY ARE ASKED TO DO

What makes you think they will do what they are asked if a further extension is put in place?
    Also can you tell me has there been a rise in infections in the community since the restrictions and what is the present RO figure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

reg114 wrote: »
    The irony is the Swedes have 1000 fewer cases than we do and they havent imposed a lockdown, meanwhile the Danes imposed a lockdown sooner than we did and have less than half of our cases, this illustrates the importance of timing when it comes to imposing a lockdown. if you get the timing wrong even by 10 days as i believe we did then the efficacy of a lockdown is diminished.

Its important to clarify that while they have fewer cases, Sweden have double the number of deaths that we do, basically Sweden have sacrificed their most vulnerable by not locking down which I think is unconscionable.

I don't think you can usefully compare 'cases' from state to state as clearly that depends on criteria used, honesty in reporting and level of testing etc. Deaths are more reliable given the established ratios that seem fairly solid, but even death numbers can/ are being manipulated.

The Swedes have gone down in many peoples minds - so much for their lauded health and social care provisions, the great Scandanavian model etc. that we often hear trotted out.

I think there has to be an easing of current restrictions after 5th May. With an emphasis of people reporting symptoms early, being tested quickly and contacts traced quickly. Along with social distancing in public and large meetings banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

mariaalice wrote: »
    my husband is working at home he gets up showers and shaves goes for a short walk, puts work clothes on no sloping around in a T-shirt.

That made me smile. One of the perks of this Lockdown for my Husband is not having to wear a suit every weekday! He really likes being able to wear jeans/shorts and a T-Shirt/Polo every day !

That and no 3 hour roundtrip commute every weekday.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Just got a call from my husband some thicko has left their dog in a car panting away when it's extremely warm out with zero water, probably to go and queue at Tesco's.
    It doesn't surprise me some people flout the recommendations, this shows the level of decency some people have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭keybordWarrior

doylefe wrote: »
    Just back from a nice long drive and a walk up one of the The Burren mountains. Great day for it.

Just checked on the map there it's 45km away. I haven't died yet but I'll let you know how I get on.

56d.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

not much to do beyond the 2km zone
    but when needed I've ventured beyond.
    But generally obeyed the guidelines.

As I said in another thread, the current restrictions are excessive and I won't be following them post 5th May , in their current guise.
    If they aren't relaxed I'll do what I want within some reason but I'll start meeting people again and travelling where I please.

This idea that we are all in this together is nonsense.
    That Ireland died 20years ago.

When this is done and the debts have to be paid and the banks writing to say you are in arrears - nobody will give a fcuk about you. We saw this in 2008 and we will see it again.
    You are on your own. Always.

I'm at work as normal (well not really as I used to do a bit around the country but am just in Dublin now) so I'm not struggling with WFH, cabin fever etc so I'm abiding by the guidelines.

I might stray outside the 2km thing while out running but that'd on quiet roads where you'd not see many other people.

• Advertisement

you are worse than hitler:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    The 2km goes on beyond the 5th and I will be ignoring it. I am sticking to the rules and there should be some reward for that with an easing. And I would see as many people sticking to 2km as I would not. It's becoming harder and harder to see the same few streets everyday with no sign of an end.

What reward would you like? A few sweeties or a gold star on your forehead perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

You're such a hero.

Grown adults who can't take responsibility, how sad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

paw patrol wrote: »
    you are worse than hitler:pac:

Hitler was only following orders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

The Burren mountains? More like the Badass mountains! Word!

namloc1980 wrote: »
    You're such a hero.

Why would people answer the OP honestly when the likes of you are just taking pot shots?

namloc1980 wrote: »
    You're such a hero.

You seem to equate responsibility with compliance.

they aren't the same. I am taking responsibility by deciding these restrictions are excessive. I haven't done that lightly.
    And I won't follow them blindly like a dope.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Downlinz wrote: »
    It's really odd how these restrictions have caused some people to revert to an almost juvenile state of wanting treats for good behaviour. I've heard of a lot of people mentioning things like this, as if they're only complying with restrictions because they're told rather than actually understanding and appreciating why they're acting this way and what benefit it has for themselves and others.

Not getting the treats then results in tantrums and threats. It's completely surreal to see so many adults behaving like that.

It's the same with many people who are not abiding by the restrictions, engaging in all sorts of mental gymnastics to make exceptions for themselves. I saw a post yesterday in the context of whether purchases from a gardening centre were deemed essential, where someone actually said, "well what about if there is a low hanging tree branch that is causing a health and safety obstruction and needs to be trimmed urgently" or something. Like, would ye f*ck off with your whataboutery and use some common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

paw patrol wrote: »
    You seem to equate responsibility with compliance.

they aren't the same. I am taking responsibility by deciding these restrictions are excessive. I haven't done that lightly.
    And I won't follow them blindly like a dope.

This is a rather subjective matter, and if it was left up to everyone to pick and choose what rules they want to abide by, we might as well not have any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

SusanC10 wrote: »
    That made me smile. One of the perks of this Lockdown for my Husband is not having to wear a suit every weekday! He really likes being able to wear jeans/shorts and a T-Shirt/Polo every day !

That and no 3 hour roundtrip commute every weekday.

I've started to miss work this week a lot actually. But I definitely don't miss the Midlands to dublin commute.

Advertisement