Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Party wish list.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Blaze420 wrote: »
    Think I read somewhere that with the worldwide travel restrictions etc we are only reduced by 5%, so imagine this lockdown and then some more on top of it - that’s what these cretins are asking for and they should be laughed out of the ****ing building.

Peter Thorne a climatologist with the IPCC said an 7% annual target would come with great difficulty, John Fitzgerald chair of the climate advisory council said this target isnt realistic and we should instead back load emissions reductions.

Why are the Greens ignoring the experts? Why are they trying to do outdo the IPCC!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Plus I think the media play on Eamonn Ryan, they edit parts of his conversation to make him look nuts

Case in point, the lettuce conversation, did anyone actually listen to his full point? That the point was about mental health and keeping people occupied by letting them into hardware stores so they could paint, and maybe grow fruits etc....but only a snippet was played

What about the wolves? Or villages sharing a single car between them? Nothing out of context there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Plus I think the media play on Eamonn Ryan, they edit parts of his conversation to make him look nuts

Case in point, the lettuce conversation, did anyone actually listen to his full point? That the point was about mental health and keeping people occupied by letting them into hardware stores so they could paint, and maybe grow fruits etc....but only a snippet was played

They do the same to Mr Trump! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I’m sure he would as long as it doesn’t take his quality of life and freedoms from him.

Think big picture. This is why people give up smoking, it can be enjoyable in the moment, but the science informs them that the long term penalty is not worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Well aware but I don’t listen to any of that, was over in US and they seemed happy with him so who are we to talk about him

We have our own problems without pointing at finger at others

• Advertisement

Peter Thorne a climatologist with the IPCC said an 7% annual target would come with great difficulty, John Fitzgerald chair of the climate advisory council said this target isnt realistic and we should instead back load emissions reductions.

Why are the Greens ignoring the experts? Why are they trying to do outdo the IPCC!

Can we just be clear here? You are saying that the IPCC should be listened to?
    Is that the case?

This is a massive step forward.

Not comparable by any stretch. The more he says, the less sense he makes.

Well aware but I don’t listen to any of that, was over in US and they seemed happy with him so who are we to talk about him

We have our own problems without pointing at finger at others

Well this is true.

Personally I tend to see the funny side of him, I think deliberately he says a lot of things for the craic to píss people off.

Not comparable by any stretch. The more he says, the less sense he makes.

Trump can be good craic though, you'd have to laugh at a lot of the stuff he says, there's no way he's serious about half of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

On the first point, why then wouldn't you argue for a change in Green leadership to facilitate the implementation of necessary change. Decrying the whole party and hoping they fail just because you think their party leader is excessive is very short sighted and detrimental to a cause you yourself believe in.

On your second point, the cause and effect is much more drawn out than icecaps being affected by human action within a 2 month window.

Data has shown though an improvement in air quality in cities which have big problems with combustion engine sourced pollution.

I would like to see how eamon and the green party hopes to achieve the 7% yearly reduction. FG and FF would also need to see that plan before they continue on to see if its feasible all around. Like will they want the older people to fcuk off out from their homes, knock them down and build eco homes. Their plans have to be feasible.

• Advertisement

Trump can be good craic though, you'd have to laugh at a lot of the stuff he says, there's no way he's serious about half of it.

He is the holder of the single most powerful office on the planet.

Anyone who thinks he is joking about things isn't understanding just what he is saying or the implications of it.

owlbethere wrote: »
    I would like to see how eamon and the green party hopes to achieve the 7% yearly reduction. FG and FF would also need to see that plan before they continue on to see if its feasible all around. Like will they want the older people to fcuk off out from their homes, knock them down and build eco homes. Their plans have to be feasible.

Ok, so again, that is at least a better approach than simply hoping they will be destroyed.

Everyone who is interested in making progress on the climate issue should be helping to come up with ways to make that happen.

Dismissing some because you either don't know what they are proposing, or don't agree with it is a very negative approach long term. It's like people are leaving it up to the Greens to come up with workable solutions instead of recognizing that their message that solutions are needed is the important part.

He is the holder of the single most powerful office on the planet.

Anyone who thinks he is joking about things isn't understanding just what he is saying or the implications of it.

Ah the one about injecting disinfectant there recently was class.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

It’s because the greens are whacky climate hippies that managed to get into politics, all they care about is the earth not the people. They don’t care what hardship their policies could cause people. All they do is keep saying “ read the science”
    That’s their punchline.

Ah the one about the injecting disinfectant there recently was class.

He wasn't joking. You know this, I know this. It was someone hopelessly out of their depth not having the restraint to keep their mouth shut.

Trump would be so much more popular right now, if he had put Fauci out front every night, stayed in the background and expressed sorrow for the suffering of people and for the lives lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I don't care if Eamon Ryan is nuts or not. Climate is the absolute priority and like Covid-19 it won't give a flying f*** whether the country can afford it, whether the targets are realistic, whether the government is anti-business or not or whether Eamon Ryan is a crackpot or not.

Once the Covid-19 has lifted Climate Change needs to be the priority until the numbers go down.

Absolute economic prosperity will not be part of the equation so people will need to manage their expectations. The best would be if the move to a greener future brought jobs and businesses with it.

It’s because the greens are whacky climate hippies that managed to get into politics, all they care about is the earth not the people. They don’t care what hardship their policies could cause people. All they do is keep saying “ read the science”
    That’s their punchline.

You can't even grasp the relationship between peoples security and the earth which produces virtually all the food we eat can you? Wow.

I thought for a second there you were at least making progress. Sadly not.

Think big picture. This is why people give up smoking, it can be enjoyable in the moment, but the science informs them that the long term penalty is not worth it.

Yes you are correct but at least it’s their choice if they want to quit. It’s a bit of a difference when someone takes their freedoms and quality of life away.

He wasn't joking. You know this, I know this. It was someone hopelessly out of their depth not having the restraint to keep their mouth shut.

Trump would be so much more popular right now, if he had put Fauci out front every night, stayed in the background and expressed sorrow for the suffering of people and for the lives lost.

Ah look I don't know if he was serious or not but look the American people got who they voted for and I'm aware he didn't even win the popular vote but that's their system.

But who are we to judge, we elected Bertie bob the builder Ahern as Taoiseach 3 times in a row.

You can't even grasp the relationship between peoples security and the earth which produces virtually all the food we eat can you? Wow.

I thought for a second there you were at least making progress. Sadly not.

Stop being condescending. Earlier you couldn’t tell the difference between a pandemic and climate change, I’d swear you were blaming climate change for the pandemic.

• Advertisement

Yes you are correct but at least it’s their choice if they want to quit. It’s a bit of a difference when someone takes their freedoms and quality of life away.

Ok, lets try a different tack. The smoking ban was brought in to protect other people.
    That was very acceptable and successful.

A similar approach is needed with the climate because many individuals do not see the impact which they can have on society.

But, should one persons freedom be maintained if it impacts on another persons quality of life? Very interested in your answer to this.

That’s their punchline.

What the hardship it is going to cause?

Phew I’m glad you acknowledge this, I was getting a little worried there:eek:

What the hardship it is going to cause?

So you don’t think 7% a year will cause any hardship on less well off people at all? Did you see the price increases on solid fuel for heating someone posted earlier from last years budget? I know a lot of people who will struggle to heat their homes eventually. All the away with the fairies Ryan wants carbon tax carbon tax and more carbon tax so that his lettuce will grow greener and quicker on his window sill.

Ok, lets try a different tack. The smoking ban was brought in to protect other people.
    That was very acceptable and successful.

A similar approach is needed with the climate because many individuals do not see the impact which they can have on society.

But, should one persons freedom be maintained if it impacts on another persons quality of life? Very interested in your answer to this.

Firstly smoking wasn’t banned , people can still smoke but just not in enclosed public places.

Isn’t your freedom the result of people losing their lives and quality of life like in past wars? It’s a very hypocritical question.

So you don’t think 7% a year will cause any hardship on less well off people at all? Did you see the price increases on solid fuel for heating someone posted earlier from last years budget? I know a lot of people who will struggle to heat their homes eventually. All the away with the fairies Ryan wants carbon tax carbon tax and more carbon tax.

As I posted ages ago, before everyone loses the plot lets see what the plan is first....

As I posted ages ago, before everyone loses the plot lets see what the plan is first....

Of course that goes without saying, but you can bet it will be mostly to do with cars and fuel hikes to restrict peoples movements.

Stop being condescending. Earlier you couldn’t tell the difference between a pandemic and climate change, I’d swear you were blaming climate change for the pandemic.

Micky, at no point did I say that a pandemic and the climate issue are the same thing.

I said that the scientists views on both should be listened to.

It's quite worrying that you can not grasp this simple point.

Firstly smoking wasn’t banned , people can still smoke but just not in enclosed public places.
    Fine, lets call it the smoking in enclosed spaces ban. Same point applies.
    Isn’t your freedom the result of people losing their lives and quality of life like in past wars? It’s a very hypocritical question.

I have no idea what point you are trying to make here.

Can you answer the question, should one persons freedom be maintained, if it impacts on another persons quality of life?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Worst thing about the Greens is their nauseating middle classness.

At least the SF voters don't necessarily know any better. Without education and intellectual firepower one might believe that money grows on trees and everything should be free and paid for by someone else. The working and welfare classes in Ireland have always needed to be "looked after". They're scared about the modern world and the drift of wealth towards brain over brawn.

Greens have no such excuse. Usually university educated and middle class backgrounds, their issue is a more of a blind brain washing and middle class virtue signalling. I hate this idea of "we all must do our part"...BS. Close down the vast chemical and steel factories in India and China, then and only then will we have a look at spotlessly clean Ireland - a country which let's remind ourselves never actually went through an industrial revolution.

Advertisement