Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Party wish list.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Well he threatened to.

He didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Let a private company build and run it, no government involvement. It would be a disaster if we let the government be involved.

Easier just to buy electricity from England/France?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Ok, so your future message will be there is such a need for action on the climate, that you want to see the Irish government try to enforce action through advocating via EU trade deals that climate concerns become a driving factor of any negotiations.

Is that a fair way to say what your stance is?

my future, present and past message has always been to condemn Asia, Africa and South America as the polluters and the problem and that considering how far the western world has come, any further steps we take should only be ones which do not result in any tax increases on European businesses or citizens and that a nuclear inclusive approach is required for future energy demands. The health of the economy and freedom of our people should still take priority over future climate initiatives and positive steps should be taken on beneficial merit to the economy, not regressive taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

my future, present and past message has always been to condemn Asia, Africa and South America as the polluters and the problem and that considering how far the western world has come, any further steps we take should only be ones which do not result in any tax increases on European businesses or citizens and that a nuclear inclusive approach is required for future energy demands. The health of the economy and freedom of our people should still take priority over future climate initiatives and positive steps should be taken on beneficial merit to the economy, not regressive taxes.

Why should the economy take precedence in the short term rather than trying to move towards its long term sustainability?

• Advertisement

My President is Michael D Higgins.

I thought you lived in the states, my apologies on that, but you get the idea of scientists and the like can get it wrong.

I thought you lived in the states, my apologies on that, but you get the idea of scientists and the like can get it wrong.

I do live in the states. For now. But I am still an Irish person.

Still don't see how you think that scientists can be assumed to have been wrong on the pandemic.

I disagree

The government have been f**king around for 10 years now and done very little, people are clearly afraid of any chnage. Anyone mentions a green initiative and you see the same sort of reaction in here

Either we get hit this year or next but the fines will be substantial and they will continue to get worse and worse while we wait around to see when we will chnage

Unfortunately it’s going to hurt, everyone, me included but I’m willing to pay.

If I was in government, you wouldn’t like what I would do, but I would have ireland in 12 months with credits and the money I made I would pump back into ireland. That’s how you turn a economy around, long term goals and sustainable....

I do live in the states. For now. But I am still an Irish person.

Still don't see how you think that scientists can be assumed to have been wrong on the pandemic.

The WHO made a balls of it, it’s widely known. Technically Trump is your president then. ;)

• Advertisement

The WHO made a balls of it, it’s widely known.

Is it? Where is that the message?
    Technically Trump is your president then. ;)

You travel to the US a couple times a year don't you? Do you see Trump as your president every time you land?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Blaze420 wrote: »
    What about the wolves? Or villages sharing a single car between them? Nothing out of context there

Eamon's quotes on wolves were completely taken out of context.
    What he actually said was
    the re-introduction of wolves will not be the priority of the next government but should be possible in 40 or 50 years.
    When asked if he would like to see wolves reintroduced to Ireland in his lifetime, Mr Ryan said: ‘Yeah, but first things first, we have to restore our peatlands. We have to build up a native and natural forest.

‘Currently we have a forestry model which is plantations, which is short of wildlife. It is going to take 40 to 50 years, forestry takes time. It is that sort of time frame not in the political time frame that it might happen in’, Eamon Ryan added.

So if we were to restore our forests, which we wont because farming is all that matters in Ireland, then in 50 years it might not be unreasonable to reintroduce wolves, and why not? They are part of a healthy ecosystem.

I bold the section, this is very regular, the press has realized some people see the Greens as the enemy so they take snippets and publish, then you see people regurgitate it because they dont bother actually listening to the full statement. Similar to the lettuce one,m which actually was about mental health.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Why would you say hopefully?

Do you not want to see action related to the environment and climate?

I am not too worried about that sort of stuff. Obviously the international hummadum drum of consuming short-lived goods and working your arse off for the privilege of being kept on the treadmill needs to end at some point. We'll have to have a severely reduced population of mostly subsistence farmers just like in the olden days. However that won't come about by means of a political party and could be many centuries away.

Even the things that would make a big difference to the carbon footprint of the country no political party will bother with. You don't see the greens saying they'll quietly overhaul the national grid to become carbon neutral. No you hear them dreaming up rules and proposed taxes for people they see as "the enemy". All politics is tribal and childish. When you see them wanting to make life awkward for people trying to get planning permission that is really just the manifestation of the child within the politician who lives in an overpriced cluttered apartment shouting "damn those bloody big house dwellers out in the country" with a spin of environmentalism put on, morphed into some official sounding language and told to the voters in a way they want to hear it.

It is like that with the most of the greens policies they are just a bitter bunch who have an axe to grind with most of the general public. They have no interest in actually solving the actual problem but as long as they can levy the odd tax and bring in the odd rule here and there for people they don't like they're happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

So if we were to restore our forests, which we wont because farming is all that matters in Ireland, then in 50 years it might not be unreasonable to reintroduce wolves, and why not? They are part of a healthy ecosystem.

I voted green and will continue to do so until there is no climate emergency but reintroducing wolves that may attack children. Just no. It's not Yosemite.

bilbot79 wrote: »
    I voted green and will continue to do so until there is no climate emergency but reintroducing wolves that may attack children. Just no. It's not Yosemite.

Dogs attack children, going to get rid of them?

:-)

It a long way ahead and I doubt any of us would even be alive

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

bilbot79 wrote: »

Yeah it's not going to happen as we as one of the most denatured countries in the world and have no wilderness. Eamon's point was he wants to give some of our land back to nature, we have no natural forests, some tree farms and the rest of the land is for farmed animals.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/27/wolf-cubs-on-way-as-belgium-becomes-wolf-crossroads-of-europe

Belgium has wolves, their numbers are actually growing in Europe which is great to see. My friend who lives in Arnhem in Holland has wild boar running around the national park near his house, we don't have much here at all.
    I'd be happy with some forests to begin with though.

I am not too worried about that sort of stuff. Obviously the international hummadum drum of consuming short-lived goods and working your arse off for the privilege of being kept on the treadmill needs to end at some point. We'll have to have a severely reduced population of mostly subsistence farmers just like in the olden days. However that won't come about by means of a political party and could be many centuries away.

Even the things that would make a big difference to the carbon footprint of the country no political party will bother with. You don't see the greens saying they'll quietly overhaul the national grid to become carbon neutral. No you hear them dreaming up rules and proposed taxes for people they see as "the enemy". All politics is tribal and childish. When you see them wanting to make life awkward for people trying to get planning permission that is really just the manifestation of the child within the politician who lives in an overpriced cluttered apartment shouting "damn those bloody big house dwellers out in the country" with a spin of environmentalism put on, morphed into some official sounding language and told to the voters in a way they want to hear it.

It is like that with the most of the greens policies they are just a bitter bunch who have an axe to grind with most of the general public. They have no interest in actually solving the actual problem but as long as they can levy the odd tax and bring in the odd rule here and there for people they don't like they're happy out.

All I see here is one persons subjective opinion applied to a political mindset with parties in many countries worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,523 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Must go and read the whole of this thread. People need to look to research and science, Covid 19 has to be a call to that. For example, the views of many on farming are outdated.
    There is research which shows that farming at a reasonable level, I can sequester about 4 tonnes of carbon/acre/year. If I can do that on a continuous basis, I'll be very happy if someone pays me €80 x 4 = €320/acre. BTW this farming can be done with ruminant animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Let's vote again then.
    In a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

BS.
    We are being warned by scientists that a failure to prepare and act leads to disastrous consequences.
    We are in the midst of a real life example of how it plays out when governments are allowed to deflect from providing adequate preparation and health care for their citizens.

How anyone can look at that and think we can ignore the warnings associated with famine and food production if we do not become sustainable is a sign of either ignorance, or selfishness.

I know the economy and citizens are on their knees pretty much, that doesn't mean you ignore everything else. We simply cannot afford to.

BS.
    We are being warned by scientists that a failure to prepare and act leads to disastrous consequences.
    We are in the midst of a real life example of how it plays out when governments are allowed to deflect from providing adequate preparation and health care for their citizens.

How anyone can look at that and think we can ignore the warnings associated with famine and food production if we do not become sustainable is a sign of either ignorance, or selfishness.

I know the economy and citizens are on their knees pretty much, that doesn't mean you ignore everything else. We simply cannot afford to.

It does and we will. We have much more important things to worry about and deal with in the adult world now than worrying about climate change and all of that nonsense. I said it already and I was spot on - climate issues are dead and buried for the next 2-3 years. Scream in to the wind all you want, this is reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Two choices now by the looks of things for GP. Go in now and dilute their redline issue a la Labour Party, or else stay out altogether.

It does and we will. We have much more important things to worry about and deal with in the adult world now than worrying about climate change and all of that nonsense. I said it already and I was spot on - climate issues are dead and buried for the next 2-3 years. Scream in to the wind all you want, this is reality.

Forgive me if I have as much faith in your announcement as I did in Trump saying that Covid-19 wouldn't be an issue.
    See the comparison, uneducated people talking about something they don't understand.

Listen to the scientists.

Forgive me if I have as much faith in your announcement as I did in Trump saying that Covid-19 wouldn't be an issue.
    See the comparison, uneducated people talking about something they don't understand.

Listen to the scientists.

And there you are in typical eco warrior fashion condescending to people, “I don’t understand”? I fully understand but I live in the real world where money and not hugs for trees pay the bills. Economies are crippled, jobs are lost and all you worry about is ****in climate change? Forgive me if i ignore your opinions, I don’t have the luxury of college student status to worry about irrelevant ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Kivaro wrote: »
    Let's vote again then.
    In a few months.

Plenty other options before we need an election.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Two choices now by the looks of things for GP. Go in now and dilute their redline issue a la Labour Party, or else stay out altogether.

I love that second one.

• Advertisement

And there you are in typical eco warrior fashion condescending to people, “I don’t understand”? I fully understand but I live in the real world where money and not hugs for trees pay the bills. Economies are crippled, jobs are lost and all you worry about is ****in climate change? Forgive me if i ignore your opinions, I don’t have the luxury of college student status to worry about irrelevant ****.

The climate issue will negatively impact on jobs and economies and as a consequence the security of life as we know it and societies world wide.

You only see that as non real world because it is not affecting you right now.

That's not me, that's what the scientists are saying.

Advertisement