Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Party wish list.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Calhoun wrote: »
    Maybe she softened what she said by explaining that rural Ireland wont be decimated but allot of people are not going to research if she did and allot of hay will be made of it.

From the reading of it he perfectly baited Catherine into it, sure he should answer what the plan is but the response in return should have been more measured.

The Greens don't do measured, they just go off on a tangent whenever they sense a smell of power and lose the run of themselves.

They're a busted flush in Irish politics.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Water John

[/B]

The Greens don't do measured, they just go off on a tangent whenever they sense a smell of power and lose the run of themselves.

You hope.

Water John wrote: »
    You hope.

Yes I do, sincerely.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

[/B]

Are you not describing yourself?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Are you not describing yourself?

No.

You're trying too hard for attention.

• Advertisement

No.

What about all your comments earlier in thread? :-)

Busted flush is exactly what I would have said

[/B]

Did you read the Greens manifesto? Or what you basing this on?

What about all your comments earlier in thread? :-)

Busted flush is exactly what I would have said

Your opinion matters not a jot.

That went well.
    Great to have an open dialogue and have your views challenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,698 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

No.

Do you think action is needed which will promote more environmentally sustainable activities?

• Advertisement

That went well.
    Great to have an open dialogue and have your views challenged.

If people actually read the Green election manifesto it is listed in it

Instead you have pages of people posting with no idea what they are talking about

Take farming, the uk has a boom now on organic farming. The major cities it’s not cheap sh*t food from Lidl/Aldi but people are going to the expensive shops and paying for quality. This is a gap in market as they don’t have enough organic suppliers....the smart farmers have seen this and are already moving, the government are not helping these farmers.

The days of non traceable meat is dying, if farmers haven’t implemented closed herds etc they are not at the races. Someone mentioned about the greens dictating to a farmer what they do on their farm

Simple answer to that is the market dictates not the government and if you not already started on that path expect to get taken over and passed out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

The days of non traceable meat is dying, if farmers haven’t implemented closed herds etc they are not at the races. Someone mentioned about the greens dictating to a farmer what they do on their farm

Simple answer to that is the market dictates not the government and if you not already started on that path expect to get taken over and passed out

All movements of all farm animals are recorded, there is full tracability at farm level, it's when the animals become meat that the problems occur

Do you think action is needed which will promote more environmentally sustainable activities?

I think this carbon tax is basically a tax on the less well off and a social injustice, there are elderly people who can't heat their homes in the winter because of it.

Do you think the Greens are correct when they say it should be doubled?

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/politics/green-party-calls-carbon-tax-20059834

That party are away with the birds, they want to stop building roads and spend 10% of the transport budget on walking.

On walking. What are they going to do, buy everyone 10 pairs of shoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Shefwedfan wrote:

I'm sorry to inform you but the idea of invisible hand guiding the market is a myth, no market exists on the planet without some sort of government interaction

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Look at the problems it causes though. Look at the traffic in Galway and sh*t public transport. The way it's designed, you just have to have a car.

While I agree with most of what you've said so far, the galway issue is bad planning (I.e. industry east and mass housing on the west)
    And then with a sever lack of reliable public transport. The ribbon development might play some part of it, but mostly it's the bad planning and transport.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I'm sorry to inform you but the idea of invisible hand guiding the market is a myth, no market exists on the planet without some sort of government interaction

The governments didn't start the move toward veggie/vegan/quality products. WHen the market moves then the government should assist

I mentioned before, maybe on this thread. We had Aupair from Europe. When looking your chance of someone eating meat are maybe 5%. They are all veggie at least if not full on vegan. The ones who wont allow meat in house you try to miss....Europe has gone that direction. UK is following and dont expect Ireland wont

The governments didn't start the move toward veggie/vegan/quality products. WHen the market moves then the government should assist

I mentioned before, maybe on this thread. We had Aupair from Europe. When looking your chance of someone eating meat are maybe 5%. They are all veggie at least if not full on vegan. The ones who wont allow meat in house you try to miss....Europe has gone that direction. UK is following and dont expect Ireland wont

Ehh, your breaking up there...

[/B]

Right on cue...

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/green-insider-says-coalition-debate-is-splitting-the-party-997292.html

The muppets, good riddance to 'um.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Well if one anecdote sells it then sure ill throw in another, while in Romania once before we were discussing it with a group of locals and they thought it (the idea of being vegan) was the silliest thing theyd heard, and one of the women said it was the only way american women could stop themselves becoming obese by pretending 3/4 of food was immoral.

It might be a thing in some wealthier countries , especially among women in their teens and 20s and certain types of men lacking in testosterone but the vast majority of europe is not vegan or veggie and has no aspirations to be.

Sure look at poland, they eat kabanos as a snack like we’d eat crisps, its cured pork.

Well if one anecdote sells it then sure ill throw in another, while in Romania once before we were discussing it with a group of locals and they thought it (the idea of being vegan) was the silliest thing theyd heard, and one of the women said it was the only way american women could stop themselves becoming obese by pretending 3/4 of food was immoral.

It might be a thing in some wealthier countries , especially among women in their teens and 20s and certain types of men lacking in testosterone but the vast majority of europe is not vegan or veggie and has no aspirations to be.

Sure look at poland, they eat kabanos as a snack like we’d eat crisps, its cured pork.

Research it, the move to veggie is increasing year on year. Im not veggie but even i can see the stupidity of the testosterone mention

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Didn't the budget carbon tax increases take effect yesterday?

Increases on fuel, heating oil and gas.

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Didn't the budget carbon tax increases take effect yesterday?

Increases on fuel, heating oil and gas.

Yes....I dont know on gas, it was on heating oil, coal etc

Every fossil fuel had increases, the exception is electricity. Here's a list;
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0501/1135962-carbon-tax-kicks-in/

Still don't see the mass protests against FG for doing it.

There is a lack of research in to the agri side of things. A new Govn't could have a pulling together of the latest research and data and formulate a future policy on an ongoing basis.
    The whole debate about meat and dairy is a distraction and inaccurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Still don't see the mass protests against FG for doing it.

FG went from the most popular party to the third most popular party losing a lot of seats outside Dublin where this mostly hits. Essentially the people fired them as protest. FG has now become even more a Dublin centric party and unless that changes they will find it very difficult to get back into government again as a leading party

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

No but it is a growing movement as evidenced by all the main supermarkets carrying vegan ranges. Think its said around 8-10% are now some form of veggie/vegan and then more just trying to eat less red meat. Theres kids being brought up as vegan now who will likely never eat meat in their lives, Ive read that if you dont have meat as a kid the actual smell of it repulses the senses later in life. Mad I know but things are changing, albeit slowly.

Anyway report on front page of todays Examiner says the Green party are completely split and have had three very heated meetings where its said that Eamon Ryan has done some swearing, you know things are a serious when Eamon uses the F word. They need 8 TDs of 12 to pass a resolution to go into Govt but they only have 6 maybe 7. Some of the others are threatening to leave the party and go Independent, if that happens after they had their best ever election result then the Green party is finished as a political entity in Ireland for the foreseeable.

Seems the Greens are split into two camps, the pragmatists led by Ryan and the idealists led by Catherine Martin. the idealists wont relent on that 7% and will walk away whereas the pragmatists will compromise. Its a bit like lyears back where you had John Gormely and Trevor Sargant as the leaders of the pragmatists and Patrica McKenna fronting the idealists. Gormely won out of that occasion but Ryan is going to have a much harder time with Catherine Martin. She could walk and she would take TDs with her to form a new 'Independent Greens'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Talk of splits already? I had higher expectations of them...

I think this carbon tax is basically a tax on the less well off and a social injustice, there are elderly people who can't heat their homes in the winter because of it.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/politics/green-party-calls-carbon-tax-20059834

That party are away with the birds, they want to stop building roads and spend 10% of the transport budget on walking.

You didn't answer the question you were asked, which was. 'Do you think action is needed which will promote more environmentally sustainable activities?'

I'd like you to answer that and if you say yes, action is needed, what actions do you propose?

On the carbon tax proposed in the article you linked? Yes. I agree, I think this is the key line in that article.
    “It’s about incentivising people to live a low carbon lifestyle.

Of course, I don't advocate people not being able to heat their homes, but I suspect that the numbers who would fall in to that category should receive an increase in heating allowance while everyone else considers alternative options.

On your other comments, it's simple denigration of ideas which are very clearly intentioned to help people.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/more-than-half-of-travellers-use-cars-for-journeys-under-2km-1.2303451

Finding a way so that as many of these journeys as possible are not made be cars is a necessary task.

Really you are scrambling around now trying to find anything

Building more roads is stupid, it is short term and if anything has shown over the last 30 years that more roads does not reduce congestion but increase it. Investing in public transport is the only way to move Ireland forward, not spending millions on a road.

THe carbon tax is for everyone. The carrot has been tried for years, now the stick. Any government will have to increase the carbon tax. Sooner the better. Instead of wasting millions next year on fines they should be going to specific set of houses now and upgrading, help fire back the economy as well after covid.

Invest in older houses, bring in new policies that stops people building one off houses which are ruining the countryside and renovate older houses. Populate villages etc

More walkways make sense, cycle routes as well....places like Kerry would benefit if they stopped cars on some roads and made them full cycle ways for families and tourist.....

I do and I also think besides the Greens, all other political parties are aware of what actions need to be taken to promote more environmentally sustainable activities and I'm happy to leave them implement those actions at their pace because they, unlike the soon to be defunct Greens, are not one trick ponies who think they can preach to the population in a condescending manner about an issue that every sane person can see needs to be put on the back burner.

The other, more popular parties, understand that issues need to be prioritised and the well being and immediate future of the country must be attended to and attended to with haste and proactive actions.

Carbon tax is a non issue now, the whole world has stopped polluting in a way that two short months ago would have been incomprehensible and even today still feels surreal.

The whole world is in a crisis and our country needs stable leadership and yet we have these muppets laying down demands that they want a firm commitment to a 7% reduction in emissions before they will even discuss helping to form a government.

They and any people that still support them after this latest fiasco should hang their heads in shame, and just to be quite clear, I'm including you in this with your declaration of support for the doubling of the carbon tax.

You and the likes of you disgust me.

• Advertisement

I do and I also think besides the Greens, all other political parties are aware of what actions need to be taken to promote more environmentally sustainable activities and I'm happy to leave them implement those actions at their pace because they, unlike the soon to be defunct Greens, are not one trick ponies who think they can preach to the population in a condescending manner about an issue that every sane person can see needs to be put on the back burner.

The other, more popular parties, understand that issues need to be prioritised and the well being and immediate future of the country must be attended to and attended to with haste and proactive actions.

Carbon tax is a non issue now, the whole world has stopped polluting in a way that two short months ago would have been incomprehensible and even today still feels surreal.

The whole world is in a crisis and our country needs stable leadership and yet we have these muppets laying down demands that they want a firm commitment to a 7% reduction in emissions before they will even discuss helping to form a government.

They and any people that still support them after this latest fiasco should hang their heads in shame, and just to be quite clear, I'm including you in this with your declaration of support for the doubling of the carbon tax.

You and the likes of you disgust me.

And what's your take so on the FG led government signing us up to an agreement which effectively means a 7% reduction year on year? Would you rather they delay a year or two and make it an 8% requirement of 9% then? Would that be a more acceptable pace to you?

As for your last line. Lol. I would love if that were the case as I go to the trouble of posting on this topic to annoy people who can't comprehend the reality through their own shortsightedness.

Advertisement