Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Party wish list.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Eamon Ryan is a deranged weirdo who shouldn't be given any notice

That's a bit much. What I find deranged is thinking we can carry on as is and everything will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

So he'll be against raising taxes on current or older diesel cars then ? or is it one rule for him and another for us...

I dont think any party has mentioned raising taxes on older cars. Just bringing in taxes against newer cars. But maybe I am wrong?

I dont think bio diesel is in the same tax bracket as diesel? again I could be wrong I dont know a lot about it as very few places sell it was never an option

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Why do more cycling lanes cost money? just shut down roads.....reduce traffic.

I paid for my own solar panels, they have a warranty for 20 years and my payback will start potentially in year 6. That is without ESB giving me anything for the excess I am pumping back into the grid. If I get the excess paid for it will be more like 5. How does that not make financial sense?

*Sorry I do lie, I get get a grant for the panels which helped ....still havent been paid it but I will hopefully soon :-)

How many solar panels do you have, as in how many square meters?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Why do more cycling lanes cost money? just shut down roads.....reduce traffic.

I paid for my own solar panels, they have a warranty for 20 years and my payback will start potentially in year 6. That is without ESB giving me anything for the excess I am pumping back into the grid. If I get the excess paid for it will be more like 5. How does that not make financial sense?

*Sorry I do lie, I get get a grant for the panels which helped ....still havent been paid it but I will hopefully soon :-)

I didn't think we could do that here yet , does the meter not count down or anything. Seems stingy of them.

How many solar panels do you have, as in how many square meters?

19 panels.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,003 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I didn't think we could do that here yet , does the meter not count down or anything. Seems stingy of them.
    Very old meters would count down.

They removed the FIT years ago but there is talk of bringing it back

No we dont. I dont get paid for excess. The whisper was it would be introduced during this summer. With the virus I dont see that happening now.

I didn't not buy in the hope FiT would be introduced. It doesn't matter to me, my cost case never included it. If they do introduce I expect the price per kW pushed out will be small but it wiould help some people with business case

At the moment, anytime I can get out to drive it is on 100% solar power :D

19 panels.....

That's a big investment, they must have been very expensive, how much of a grant will you get?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 24,630 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

That's a big investment, they must have been very expensive, how much of a grant will you get?

Grant is capped at about €3k as far as I know, including for a battery.

No we dont. I dont get paid for excess. The whisper was it would be introduced during this summer. With the virus I dont see that happening now.

I didn't not buy in the hope FiT would be introduced. It doesn't matter to me, my cost case never included it. If they do introduce I expect the price per kW pushed out will be small but it wiould help some people with business case

At the moment, anytime I can get out to drive it is on 100% solar power :D

its usually 1/3rd of what you pay as a consumer of power in a lot of countries, would you consider some sort of storage , a big battery bank might pay for itself a lot quicker than waiting for a FIT to happen and gives you the benefit of the power generated.

• Advertisement

They reduced the grant at end of last year so I bought before it was reduced. I got €3800 off it...if I ever get it off SEAI

The grant is €3000 now. They changed it around to benefit smaller installations over larger, most people dont have roof space for 19 panels.

The thinking was reduce grant, introduce FiT, is my understanding

its usually 1/3rd of what you pay as a consumer of power in a lot of countries, would you consider some sort of storage , a big battery bank might pay for itself a lot quicker than waiting for a FIT to happen and gives you the benefit of the power generated.
    I wonder could you take night time power and feed back at peak day rate? If you had a large battery and no solar!

I have a 2.xkWh battery in attic
    I have 36kWh battery in one car and 11kWh in another :P

With the lock down I am not using up the batteries in car so thats why I have so much excess. You can of course buy the immersion convertor which will heat the water but I went for more panels because of all the batteries I have to fill up

ELM327 wrote: »
    I wonder could you take night time power and feed back at peak day rate? If you had a large battery and no solar!

Yes....during the winter if you have a large battery on system you have option to fill the battery at night and then use during the day!!

I bet they pay less than night rate back or else you'd have the same kind of people crypto-mining having their sheds explode lithium fires with a giant money making battery storage racket, I also wouldn't want to see the dirty non sine wave power coming out of those installs :pac:

Grant is capped at about €3k as far as I know, including for a battery.

That's not much of an incentive to purchase and install 19 solar panels.

The Green Party should be looking at getting everyone to install 19 solar panels on their roof and then we would all be producing excess electricity.

Why didn't they think of this instead of wanting to spend money on making sure anyone who presses the button at a zebra crossing is not waiting more than 15 seconds for the green man?

Yes....during the winter if you have a large battery on system you have option to fill the battery at night and then use during the day!!

are you paying any electricity at all anymore or have you gained independence from bills ?

Batteries are still very expensive, unless you go lead acid (which is not without its flaws).
    But you could get 60kWh plus for 10-12k, if you could feed in at the day peak rate and take in at night with an 11kW plug to your 60kWh battery store you'd be rollin'

are you paying any electricity at all anymore or have you gained independence from bills ?

Nearly, if I had another 2kWh battery in attic I would be sorted. Some days we can run fully on solar but the small battery in attic struggles over the nighttime just keeping the house ticking over but thats on nightrate.

Also I have a Triton which has a 8-9kW requirement which when used will pull from grid but this is minimal

Would you not change the shower to a pumped one that can use water heated from the solar?

• Advertisement

Nearly, if I had another 2kWh battery in attic I would be sorted. Some days we can run fully on solar but the small battery in attic struggles over the nighttime just keeping the house ticking over but thats on nightrate.

Also I have a Triton which has a 8-9kW requirement which when used will pull from grid but this is minimal

would you consider thermodynamic solar and move to a pumped shower. Most people I know with solar have gone that route and the shower was the first thing to go.

Do you have any windmills?

I have solar panels and thought about a windmill but the cost was prohibitive at the time.

Would you not change the shower to a pumped one that can use water heated from the solar?

All in good time :P

That's the plan. I have quite a large roof so I left the best part (south facing) for Solar Thermal and that will be stage two. Once I do this I will swap out the Triton. I need to run new pipes and chase a wall to install because the tiles in bathroom I cannot take off. Bit of a job to do

It's not but the grant is supposed to be for self-consumption and cover electricity in the house , which is what most people would do. Shefwedfan is obviously not your average homeowner and has a great set-up.
    The Green Party should be looking at getting everyone to install 19 solar panels on their roof and then we would all be producing excess electricity.
    Well, they need to get the FIT tariff first or else the incentive isn't there for a homeowner.

I'd look at putting solar on a lot of public buildings as well and let it feed back into the grid.

I have solar panels and thought about a windmill but the cost was prohibitive at the time.

I wouldn't bother with a domestic wind turbine to be honest. Nowhere near the payback even if you're in the perfect location.

I am waiting, I have seen wind generators that can sit on the ridge of your roof....to install an actual windmill you need to test wind in area etc etc and then find a spot to put it up. I have space in garden but not something I want to take up space....

Prefer the option of slotting onto the roof

I am waiting, I have seen wind generators that can sit on the ridge of your roof....to install an actual windmill you need to test wind in area etc etc and then find a spot to put it up. I have space in garden but not something I want to take up space....

Prefer the option of slotting onto the roof

Sounds awesome.

Why didn't they think of this instead of wanting to spend money on making sure anyone who presses the button at a zebra crossing is not waiting more than 15 seconds for the green man?

Most people will not buy 19 panels. They won't have the roof space to start with.

An average house with 2kWh of solar PV will be hitting the majority os usage and that is only 5-6 panels with the newer 330w panels available now.

Ok we are off topic. Loads of info on the Solar PV threads knocking around. I am not saying everyone should do the same but if you check the Solar threads you will see people with smaller installations and are nearly 100% off grid.

This is just an example of what can be done. I think the government need to push more information out, hopefully the Greens will help with this.

• Advertisement

It's not but the grant is supposed to be for self-consumption and cover electricity in the house , which is what most people would do. Shefwedfan is obviously not your average homeowner and has a great set-up.

Well, they need to get the FIT tariff first or else the incentive isn't there for a homeowner.

I'd look at putting solar on a lot of public buildings as well and let it feed back into the grid.

The big market is farmers. You have sheds which are 200ft long with massive roofs and nothing on them. Fill up that roof space and boom you will have a massive output

Buying fields to install solar pv panels is something I do not approve of, why waste land when we have so much roof space we could fill first

Advertisement