Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Party wish list.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭PommieBast

The Green Party should be looking at getting everyone to install 19 solar panels on their roof and then we would all be producing excess electricity.
    Peak electricity demand is 18:00-20:00 so in winter at least that surplus cannot be counted upon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

PommieBast wrote: »
    Peak electricity demand is 18:00-20:00 so in winter at least that surplus cannot be counted upon.

If they have battery potentially the battery is full and will take the load off the grid. This of course depends on a number of factors but has potential

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    If they have battery potentially the battery is full and will take the load off the grid. This of course depends on a number of factors but has potential

You cant store electrity for houses in batteries??

Batteries contain dc current,houses use ac current.....jesus this is basic stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

How are the Greens getting on with cannabis legalization in negotiations?

https://www.classichits.ie/podcasts/niall-boylan/episode/is-it-time-the-government-decriminalised-cannabis/

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You cant store electrity for houses in batteries??

Batteries contain dc current,houses use ac current.....jesus this is basic stuff

https://shop.electricireland.ie/products/install-detail/solar-battery-storage

Someone should tell Electric Ireland to stop advertising the batteries for sale then.

(Unless of course you are wrong)

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    https://shop.electricireland.ie/products/install-detail/solar-battery-storage

Someone should tell Electric Ireland to stop advertising the batteries for sale then.

(Unless of course you are wrong)

How is working??....houses use ac current and this physically cant be stored (nor moved long distances afaik)

Generators,from your altenator to the hydro-electric dam,can only make ac current/voltage??(admitely altenator regulates to dc!)

Theres a reason your multimeter come.with an.ac and dc volt setting??

Unless they are putting in a dc useage (for heating water etc),these arent viable to use large scale and tbh i question value tax payer is getting out of this

(Interesting link nonetheless)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,700 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

How is working??....houses use ac current and this physically cant be stored (nor moved long distances afaik)

Generators,from your altenator to the hydro-electric dam,can only make ac current/voltage??(admitely altenator regulates to dc!)

Theres a reason your multimeter come.with an.ac and dc volt setting??

Unless they are putting in a dc useage (for heating water etc),these arent viable to use large scale and tbh i question value tax payer is getting out of this

(Interesting link nonetheless)

DC Voltage is converted to AC for use in domestic appliances.

You should look in to this before saying it is basic stuff.

https://www.solarchoice.net.au/blog/ac-vs-dc-solar-battery-storage-explained

Good image here: https://www.nextgenpower.ie/our-solution/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,700 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Positive News from London yesterday.

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1258310515807395840

How is it working though??

There is no minus frequency in dc voltage?

Where is getting it from to make ac?

(never knew solar panels were making dc current!)

• Advertisement

Which is a point made on interview this morning, putting people on trains/buses is not ideal so bikes would be better

• Registered Users Posts: 24,630 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The big market is farmers. You have sheds which are 200ft long with massive roofs and nothing on them. Fill up that roof space and boom you will have a massive output

Buying fields to install solar pv panels is something I do not approve of, why waste land when we have so much roof space we could fill first

Absolutely. Use more roof space. It would likely be a lot cheaper to start with public buildings, schools etc though, that's all.

Absolutely. Use more roof space. It would likely be a lot cheaper to start with public buildings, schools etc though, that's all.

Any roof space to be honest, I would hope any new building moving forward would try to be self sustaining.

I know Kingspan a couple of years ago started to put solar panels on manufacturing plants etc with the plan to be 100% green

https://www.kingspan.com/group/about/sustainability/net-zero-energy

• Registered Users Posts: 24,630 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Any roof space to be honest, I would hope any new building moving forward would try to be self sustaining.

I know Kingspan a couple of years ago started to put solar panels on manufacturing plants etc with the plan to be 100% green

https://www.kingspan.com/group/about/sustainability/net-zero-energy

Hadn't they set up a joint venture with ESB where to have some form of ESCO-type arrangement with businesses whereby there was no capital cost and you just paid for the installation over time with the savings? A few years ago...I think

Edit: Here we are...Funded Solar.

Hadn't they set up a joint venture with ESB where to have some form of ESCO-type arrangement with businesses whereby there was no capital cost and you just paid for the installation over time with the savings? A few years ago...I think

Maybe, I know I met one of the guys years ago. It could be 10 now and he was talking about how they started to install solar onto roofs of manufacturing plants etc and they had the long term plpan......

I find it funny when you talk about changing to green policies everyone seems to lose the plot, then you look at Kingspan, Mainstream, CRH etc and what they have implemented and you see Irish companies are World leaders in Climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

How is it working though??

There is no minus frequency in dc voltage?

Where is getting it from to make ac?

(never knew solar panels were making dc current!)

Its called an inverter, here's how it works. https://youtu.be/ln9VZIL8rVs

There are also many people in the tiny home / DIY home building community use DC lighting , 12v operated gas boilers, 12v water pumps etc.. minimising their reliance on AC power.

There are also many people in the tiny home / DIY home building community use DC lighting , 12v operated gas boilers, 12v water pumps etc.. minimising their reliance on AC power.

Also one of the more expensive parts of a Solar PV installation so some companies will try to undersize the invertor.

Interesting stuff!!

Always taught (was told) the negative cycle was needed for balance/peventing interference with ac voltage

(Found video,very informative and at least today i've learnt something new,and just when ya feel its pure time-wasting on internet :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

well isn't this nice a couple of pages in a thread involving the greens without anyone threatening to murder someone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That's because people were discussing the mechanics of renewable energy instead of railing against anything politically green, which seems to be a green flag to a bull, for some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Poor old Trevor was on Prime Time there, he didn't sound too convincing that he has the support of his own party.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Water John wrote: »
    That's because people were discussing the mechanics of renewable energy instead of railing against anything politically green, which seems to be a green flag to a bull, for some.

To be honest until we hear some feedback not much to discuss

The interview with Ryan this morning covered off most discussion points

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Poor old Trevor was on Prime Time there, he didn't sound too convincing that he has the support of his own party.

Watching Ryan at the moment on Prime Time. If he gets anywhere near policy making it'll be a disaster. Especially after the preceding story being about the massive recession on the way.

You got 7% Eamon. No one cares, and certainly not in the current "climate"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Watching Ryan at the moment on Prime Time. If he gets anywhere near policy making it'll be a disaster. Especially after the preceding story being about the massive recession on the way.

All that needs to happen is a nice big squeeze, make the last recession and all the problems look like childs play.

Think how people reacted to Irish water it was the measure too far, it wont take long to get there from where we are now.

Putting aside my dislike for the green party.

Interesting conversation above on the use of roofs for PV cells ect, something the definitely need to start doing more. One of the first challenges they will face is that builders will say that its not affordable to do so, they will have to get ahead of this and make sure that its mandatory but also affordable to do so.

They definitely need a scheme to sell back to the network. It would sweeten the deal for allot looking to offset electricity costs.

Anyone got any idea how feasible it would be to invest in technology like the lithium ion battery Musk put in Australia. Not sure how much of a runner it is considering the polluters that comes with the battery themselves.

I would disagree with comment above about using roof before land for the solar panels, they wanted to do similar down where i live near allot of bog land and really bad fields that would be better suited to it and it can still be farmed with smaller live stock like sheep. Funnily enough though the residence did a 5G on it and its been halted for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Calhoun wrote: »
    Putting aside my dislike for the green party.

Interesting conversation above on the use of roofs for PV cells ect, something the definitely need to start doing more. One of the first challenges they will face is that builders will say that its not affordable to do so, they will have to get ahead of this and make sure that its mandatory but also affordable to do so.

They definitely need a scheme to sell back to the network. It would sweeten the deal for allot looking to offset electricity costs.

Anyone got any idea how feasible it would be to invest in technology like the lithium ion battery Musk put in Australia. Not sure how much of a runner it is considering the polluters that comes with the battery themselves.

I would disagree with comment above about using roof before land for the solar panels, they wanted to do similar down where i live near allot of bog land and really bad fields that would be better suited to it and it can still be farmed with smaller live stock like sheep. Funnily enough though the residence did a 5G on it and its been halted for now.

to be honest micro-generation is rather a nonsense , better make the grid more renewable , then encourage micro generation , economies and efficiencies of scale etc

BoatMad wrote: »
    to be honest micro-generation is rather a nonsense , better make the grid more renewable , then encourage micro generation , economies and efficiencies of scale etc

Yah but could both not be done? if you wanted to bring in adoption of cells on roof having electricity costs offset would go a long way. This is a question you seem to know a bit more about this than i do, is there studies that show its not good to do this?

Calhoun wrote: »
    Yah but could both not be done? if you wanted to bring in adoption of cells on roof having electricity costs offset would go a long way. This is a question you seem to know a bit more about this than i do, is there studies that show its not good to do this?

I wouldn’t call it a nonsense myself but you do need large scale installation and a balanced grid to meet the requirements of the country

I talked to uk grid guys a few years back, they want a balanced grid so it always generating xkW. No peaks and troughs as it costs more money to ramp up and down.

If you look at a selfish view micro works, so for me my electricity bill is reduced and if done correctly I’m driving on solar power, that is not going to help you boil the spuds

Everything is about balance. If 100k houses go solar then most days during summer they have no requirement from grid so we can use the mass produced electricity for business. If people then have batteries it would remove the peak of 5-7 when people are cooking....

The big part here is smart meter, we need them installed soon than later. Imagine I had a chat with esb in 2006 and they planned to install smart meter in next 24 months, 2020 and they are only starting now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Ah, that's his name, I was full sure it was Trevor.

He's just one of those guys that's got a persona that makes me want to dismiss him from my memory but he keeps popping up like a weed in a veg patch.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

Ah, that's his name, I was full sure it was Trevor.

He's just one of those guys that's got a persona that makes me want to dismiss him from my memory but he keeps popping up like a weed in a veg patch.

Ahh go on, you know you are starting to like him.....more or less all the complaints on here he has an answer for and a good one.....not like some of the poltician knocking around who dont even have any sort of objectives for the next 5 years.....

Advertisement