Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Party wish list.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,115 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ahh go on, you know you are starting to like him.....more or less all the complaints on here he has an answer for and a good one.....not like some of the poltician knocking around who dont even have any sort of objectives for the next 5 years.....

Take my word on this, when I say I don't respect him or like him I am being very kind and diplomatic.

In my opinion he is the antithesis of what this country needs in power.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Take my word on this, when I say I don't respect him or like him I am being very kind and diplomatic.

Forgive me if I am wrong, didn't you vote for the Healy-Rae boyos in Kerry?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,115 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Forgive me if I am wrong, didn't you vote for the Healy-Rae boyos in Kerry?

Ahh, you were doing so well 'n all.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Ahh, you were doing so well 'n all.

Just saying, you might not agree with his policies and that is your decision but at least he has some

WHat exactly is the policy of the Healy Rae for the next 5 years?

Imagine a government full of Healy Rae? what exactly would get done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Calhoun wrote: »
    Anyone got any idea how feasible it would be to invest in technology like the lithium ion battery Musk put in Australia. Not sure how much of a runner it is considering the polluters that comes with the battery themselves.
    Not sure if it was the Australia deployment or not, bot one of the bigger success stories for the Powerwall seems to be short-notice peaker plants. Historically these have been the dirtiest of the dirty.

• Advertisement

The big game-changer will be the IBM battery.

https://www.dezeen.com/2020/01/06/ibm-research-sustainable-battery-sea-water/

Investing in a huge solar battery from Tesla now I don't think is the right way to go. Connecting our grid with France, putting in wind farms and solar. Then try to combat the peaks and troughs via the European grid may be the best way forward. Yes we may need nucleur but pull the nucluer power from Europe instead of building one here

• Registered Users Posts: 21,701 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Listen to the science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Listen to the science.

Science isn't going to put food on the table or pay the bills when money is flying out the door on green tax bull****. The world has much bigger concerns for the next few years than the stuff that keeps Eamon or his other plebs awake at night, that is a simple fact.

Climate is so far down the list of priorities it's not even in sight now - and FG/FF will find that out the hard way if they even give an inch to green demands and apply climate taxation measures when everyone will still be crawling out of the wreckage of CV19. Perhaps someone in the negotiations should remind the Greens that only 6% voted for them, 94% don't want them and don't want them anywhere near policy making.

Blaze420 wrote: »
    Science isn't going to put food on the table or pay the bills when money is flying out the door on green tax bull****. The world has much bigger concerns for the next few years than the stuff that keeps Eamon or his other plebs awake at night, that is a simple fact.

Climate is so far down the list of priorities it's not even in sight now - and FG/FF will find that out the hard way if they even give an inch to green demands and apply climate taxation measures when everyone will still be crawling out of the wreckage of CV19. Perhaps someone in the negotiations should remind the Greens that only 6% voted for them, 94% don't want them and don't want them anywhere near policy making.

Have you read any of this thread? listened to anything the greens said? or actually realize all the partieis have a green agenda?

Do you realize we will end up paying million if not billions in fine very soon?

Any governement would be idiotic at this stage to dump the green agenda and go back to the way it was before. Green should be part of the recovery. It should help it, not hinder it

Have you read any of this thread? listened to anything the greens said? or actually realize all the partieis have a green agenda?

Do you realize we will end up paying million if not billions in fine very soon?

Any governement would be idiotic at this stage to dump the green agenda and go back to the way it was before. Green should be part of the recovery. It should help it, not hinder it

I don't listen to the Greens and for good reason - wolves, shared cars in villages etc. They are a party for rich city people who like cycling and dreaming up ways to save the planet, that's about it.

In regards to fines, this was mentioned before and I think that's a bogus statement. World economies have been crippled by CV19, massive unemployment and economies going backwards to very dark times. If you think some entitled knobs in Brussels or anywhere else are going to impose "climate" fines at a time like this you are deluded.

And as a final point - would you mind explaining how Green will help a recovery when it looks to impose extra taxation on people who have likely lost their jobs or are seeing salary cuts/reductions as a result of this? How do you help people by kicking more money out of their wallets when they are near empty - and then somehow expect them to get on board as well?? It's not happening.

• Advertisement

I can't believe the shortsightedness that some people are happy to demonstrate they possess.

Human Behavior is negatively impacting on the planet. The issues from this are going to cause problems for society.
    Saying now is not the time is like telling a smoker to continue smoking because they are stressed from work. They are going to pay a greater price down the line.

I can't believe the shortsightedness that some people are happy to demonstrate they possess.

Human Behavior is negatively impacting on the planet. The issues from this are going to cause problems for society.
    Saying now is not the time is like telling a smoker to continue smoking because they are stressed from work. They are going to pay a greater price down the line.

Thinking that Ireland going back to the horse and cart, with shabby clothes and lifestyles because there's no ****ing money is short sightedness. When the world gets the biggest polluters on board for this nonsense come back to me - nothing we do here will make a ****ing dot of difference. Not one. To think that it will
    is called delusion.

Thinking that Ireland going back to the horse and cart, with shabby clothes and lifestyles because there's no ****ing money is short sightedness. When the world gets the biggest polluters on board for this nonsense come back to me - nothing we do here will make a ****ing dot of difference. Not one. To think that it will
    is called delusion.

And they double down on their ignorance. FFs.

No one is talking about going back 100 years. The whole point is about allowing science and industry to develop and implement green solutions which would satisfy the needs of the economies and societies of today while being less harmful to the environment than current practices.

We signed up to the Paris Agreement along with the world biggest polluters precisely so that we could demonstrate that every country would adhere to it's commitments. For the love of god how could anyone be so ignorant. Society would break down if no one followed any rules because someone else some where else was breaking the law.

I don't listen to the Greens and for good reason - wolves, shared cars in villages etc. They are a party for rich city people who like cycling and dreaming up ways to save the planet, that's about it.

In regards to fines, this was mentioned before and I think that's a bogus statement. World economies have been crippled by CV19, massive unemployment and economies going backwards to very dark times. If you think some entitled knobs in Brussels or anywhere else are going to impose "climate" fines at a time like this you are deluded.

And as a final point - would you mind explaining how Green will help a recovery when it looks to impose extra taxation on people who have likely lost their jobs or are seeing salary cuts/reductions as a result of this? How do you help people by kicking more money out of their wallets when they are near empty - and then somehow expect them to get on board as well?? It's not happening.

Seriously some people dont have a clue, its not a one time fine. It is ever year till we sort it out

And they double down on their ignorance. FFs.

No one is talking about going back 100 years. The whole point is about allowing science and industry to develop and implement green solutions which would satisfy the needs of the economies and societies of today while being less harmful to the environment than current practices.

We signed up to the Paris Agreement along with the world biggest polluters precisely so that we could demonstrate that every country would adhere to it's commitments. For the love of god how could anyone be so ignorant. Society would break down if no one followed any rules because someone else some where else was breaking the law.

Yeah we might need to look at the way industry etc operates but the Greens are not the people to be a part of that discussion. "Re-introducing wolves to Ireland - because nobody lives outside cities". "Sharing cars in a village - because sure who needs to own their own transport when they are miles from everything". Their solution to everything is hair brained idiocy, because the majority of them are city dwellers with plenty of cash to weather taxation increases but very little brain cells to speak anything less than ****ing gibberish nonsense.

Now - let's talk about the Greens "pulled out of their holes" figure of a 7% reduction in emissions. We're currently in a completely unique situation where a virus has locked down most people worldwide to home only with a massive decrease in air/road traffic and still we only reach about 5%. That is through almost unbearable hardship on people and is not sustainable. Where are these imbeciles getting a 7% figure from? How do they propose to achieve it?

And as for the Paris agreement, don't be so naive that anybody is going to looks at us and go you know what lads, we better follow Irelands lead. That is just a ridiculous assumption. India, China are not going to suddenly wipe half of their industries out for climate change. The Saudis are not going to shut down oil fields for climate change. The US could at any stage under Trump decide **** this, we're out of the agreement. Meanwhile, in little Ireland out here on it's own we want to levy additional tax burdens on people who are already financially compromised because of COVID for what - so the Greens can sit here with big **** eating grins on their faces and give themselves a pat on the back? **** out of that.

Either the whole world gets on board at once or forget about it. Why would I sacrifice my lifestyle or expend money on extra taxes when the end result will be the same? Climate change is not caused by Ireland and Ireland should not be attempting to be a poster boy for something that is virtually impossible to get full buy in across the world on.

If it ends it ends, enjoy what time you have on this planet and stop worrying bout **** that will or might happen long after you are gone from it.

Yeah we might need to look at the way industry etc operates but the Greens are not the people to be a part of that discussion. "Re-introducing wolves to Ireland - because nobody lives outside cities". "Sharing cars in a village - because sure who needs to own their own transport when they are miles from everything". Their solution to everything is hair brained idiocy, because the majority of them are city dwellers with plenty of cash to weather taxation increases but very little brain cells to speak anything less than ****ing gibberish nonsense.

Now - let's talk about the Greens "pulled out of their holes" figure of a 7% reduction in emissions. We're currently in a completely unique situation where a virus has locked down most people worldwide to home only with a massive decrease in air/road traffic and still we only reach about 5%. That is through almost unbearable hardship on people and is not sustainable. Where are these imbeciles getting a 7% figure from? How do they propose to achieve it?

And as for the Paris agreement, don't be so naive that anybody is going to looks at us and go you know what lads, we better follow Irelands lead. That is just a ridiculous assumption. India, China are not going to suddenly wipe half of their industries out for climate change. The Saudis are not going to shut down oil fields for climate change. The US could at any stage under Trump decide **** this, we're out of the agreement. Meanwhile, in little Ireland out here on it's own we want to levy additional tax burdens on people who are already financially compromised because of COVID for what - so the Greens can sit here with big **** eating grins on their faces and give themselves a pat on the back? **** out of that.

Either the whole world gets on board at once or forget about it. Why would I sacrifice my lifestyle or expend money on extra taxes when the end result will be the same? Climate change is not caused by Ireland and Ireland should not be attempting to be a poster boy for something that is virtually impossible to get full buy in across the world on.

If it ends it ends, enjoy what time you have on this planet and stop worrying bout **** that will or might happen long after you are gone from it.

Honestly I am amazed by the level of ignorance in a single post. Its astonding in the year 2020 we still have people like this

My parents who are in their 70's are more progessive than you are.

You are just turning out uneducated sound bites.

I would love to see what in your lifestyle you think you are going to sacrifice? could you give me an example

Honestly I am amazed by the level of ignorance in a single post. Its astonding in the year 2020 we still have people like this

My parents who are in their 70's are more progessive than you are.

You are just turning out uneducated sound bites.

I would love to see what in your lifestyle you think you are going to sacrifice? could you give me an example

I quite enjoy foreign holidays each year, ironically because we have such a **** and unpredictable climate in this country. The Greens want to make that so expensive that it will be out of my price range to do so. I rent a house that requires oil for the heating and coal for the fire, but I'm expected to suffer increases in the prices for it under Green ideology. I own a car and need it to travel - I pay motor tax as well for the pleasure of that which I'm sure is a large pot of money overall, but which gets diverted to everything except maintaining motor routes - making cycle and bus lanes (2 forms of transport which I don't and will not use).

Take your green glasses off and realise that much more realistic threats to the future of life on this planet exist and don't even involve climate change. Another virus like this one, only 100 times more deadly and more infectious could wipe half the world out. A ****ing meteor could hit the planet in x amount of years and the world is done for. Green fanatics are so focused on plugging the one hole in the dam they think they know it all on, without even seeing the 10-20 other cracks along the wall that might do the same thing.

"Re-introducing wolves to Ireland - because nobody lives outside cities". "Sharing cars in a village - because sure who needs to own their own transport when they are miles from everything". Their solution to everything is hair brained idiocy, because the majority of them are city dwellers with plenty of cash to weather taxation increases but very little brain cells to speak anything less than ****ing gibberish nonsense.

You are completely taking the above topics out of context. I strongly suggest you educate yourself on the entirety of the conversation in which they were made.

I am glad you used the phraseology you used above as to where the Greens came up with 7% because it shows once again just how little you know about the topic.
    The FG led government participated in the Paris Agreement negotiations and signed up to participate in it. In doing so, Ireland committed to reducing emissions by a certain amount, by a certain date. Given what we have done in terms of emissions since, then, we now need to achieve 7% per annum to hit the targets FG agreed to. What you are advocating for is the participation in negotiations, signing of an agreement and then absconding on responsibilities.
    Again, your lack of knowledge on this is evident. Trump has already pulled the US out of it. And was widely condemned for doing so and to show just how the US feel about that, 24 states have said that they still intend aiming to achieve the targets of the Paris agreement.

You would most likely not be alive to take part in this discussion today if previous generations had adopted the 'me me me' approach that you obviously possess.

If you have now, or ever do have children, I hope they know just how you feel about their futures.

You would most likely not be alive to take part in this discussion today if previous generations had adopted the 'me me me' approach that you obviously possess.

Really? Would you mind providing evidence from the 18/1900's where people were fixated on what would happen in 2020 to back up that assertation?
    If you have now, or ever do have children, I hope they know just how you feel about their futures.

Emotive bollix as usual but not unexpected from a green fanboy. You cannot control what will happen after you die. It doesn't matter whether you have kids or not. Your child could be hit by a bus the day or week after you pass and that's that - that is LIFE. Spending your time worrying about how the world will be when you are dead or what's going to happen is ****ing ridiculous in my eyes - why would you care? Live your life and play the hand you are dealt, your kids will need to do exactly the same - and in the end **spoiler alert** everyone dies anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

they will just impose the fines once countries have recovered.
    the time frame won't matter to them, but impose fines they will so as to send a message that you cannot refuse to abide by agreements, and pay them we will or there will be quite rightly hell to pay.
    is called delusion.

this is just hyperbole.
    ireland isn't going to be going back to the horse and cart and shabby clothes and that isn't even the plan.

1 bad policy (reintroduction of wolves) does not make everything else a party believes in wrong.
    sharing cars where possible actually isn't a bad idea in theory as long as the individuals concerned keep up their ends of the bargain, however it's not going to be manditary and it won't be possible for everyone.
    india and china are in their modernisation phase, eventually they will clean up where possible and it won't require them shutting down any industry but rather using technology to help make things cleaner and greener.
    the problems of not acting in some sort of manner to clean up are slowly but surely already coming, i would expect there will be serious issues by the time many of us actually do leave the planet which hopefully won't be for a long long time.
    I quite enjoy foreign holidays each year, ironically because we have such a **** and unpredictable climate in this country. The Greens want to make that so expensive that it will be out of my price range to do so. I rent a house that requires oil for the heating and coal for the fire, but I'm expected to suffer increases in the prices for it under Green ideology. I own a car and need it to travel - I pay motor tax as well for the pleasure of that which I'm sure is a large pot of money overall, but which gets diverted to everything except maintaining motor routes - making cycle and bus lanes (2 forms of transport which I don't and will not use).

Take your green glasses off and realise that much more realistic threats to the future of life on this planet exist and don't even involve climate change. Another virus like this one, only 100 times more deadly and more infectious could wipe half the world out. A ****ing meteor could hit the planet in x amount of years and the world is done for. Green fanatics are so focused on plugging the one hole in the dam they think they know it all on, without even seeing the 10-20 other cracks along the wall that might do the same thing.

road transport receives a serious amount of money, it even gets priority over certain aspects of public transport in our cities.
    it gets more then it's fare share actually.
    the fact that other things can cause serious issues for humanity is not an argument against the reduction of other issues as much as is possible to actually do so.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Emotive bollix as usual but not unexpected from a green fanboy.

nope wrong incorrect, both non-immotive and non-bollox which is to be expected from a realist.
    You cannot control what will happen after you die. It doesn't matter whether you have kids or not. Your child could be hit by a bus the day or week after you pass and that's that - that is LIFE. Spending your time worrying about how the world will be when you are dead or what's going to happen is ****ing ridiculous in my eyes - why would you care? Live your life and play the hand you are dealt, your kids will need to do exactly the same - and in the end **spoiler alert** everyone dies anyway.

again this is all irrelevant.
    the possibility is that the generations currently living will see the effects of climate change, especially those currently growing up.
    again the possibility of something else doing something or the same thing is not a reason to not act to try and reduce as much as is possible, other issues which can cause effects to people.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

As I said you havent really a clue what you are talking about

Even the coal, like how many alternative fuels are available....like really are you living in the 60s

Really? Would you mind providing evidence from the 18/1900's where people were fixated on what would happen in 2020 to back up that assertation?

You miss the point, it isn't that people were fixated on 2020. It was that they knew that there was such a thing as society and that some things were for the betterment of others and not just themselves.

President Roosevelt in the US at the Grand Canyon, May 6, 1903
    “I want to ask you to keep this great wonder of nature as it now is. I hope you will not have a building of any kind, not a summer cottage, a hotel or anything else, to mar the wonderful grandeur, the sublimity, the great loneliness and beauty of the canyon. Leave it as it is. You cannot improve on it. The ages have been at work on it, and man can only mar it. What you can do is to keep it for your children, your children’s children, and for all who come after you, as one of the great sights which every American if he can travel at all should see.”

Jonas Salk, the developer of the polio vaccine didn't patent it but allowed it to be widely used without concern as to the cost, for the betterment of society.

Volvo held a patent for the 3 point safety harness but allowed all other vehicle manufacturers to use it free of charge so that it could be incorporated in to their vehicles. In 2009, it was estimated that 1M lives had been saved through it's use.
    Emotive bollix as usual but not unexpected from a green fanboy. You cannot control what will happen after you die. It doesn't matter whether you have kids or not. Your child could be hit by a bus the day or week after you pass and that's that - that is LIFE. Spending your time worrying about how the world will be when you are dead or what's going to happen is ****ing ridiculous in my eyes - why would you care? Live your life and play the hand you are dealt, your kids will need to do exactly the same - and in the end **spoiler alert** everyone dies anyway.

Thank you for displaying the selfishness which you possess. I hope everyone reading this thread considers if they want to be on your side of the argument, or the other.

This is what we should do, start closing down now and not reopen. have some planning ahead.....close down full section of Dublin, Cork, Galway,.....make it safer for people to walk arouind in, shop in, bring families in.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I wouldn’t call it a nonsense myself but you do need large scale installation and a balanced grid to meet the requirements of the country

I talked to uk grid guys a few years back, they want a balanced grid so it always generating xkW. No peaks and troughs as it costs more money to ramp up and down.

If you look at a selfish view micro works, so for me my electricity bill is reduced and if done correctly I’m driving on solar power, that is not going to help you boil the spuds

Everything is about balance. If 100k houses go solar then most days during summer they have no requirement from grid so we can use the mass produced electricity for business. If people then have batteries it would remove the peak of 5-7 when people are cooking....

The big part here is smart meter, we need them installed soon than later. Imagine I had a chat with esb in 2006 and they planned to install smart meter in next 24 months, 2020 and they are only starting now

Makes sense on the grid and keeping it stable.

I was just thinking more of the PR benefits of the panels if you had a wide use as you say. If it brought down the prices for people it would be a big win.

How are you finding the reduction in the bills, and when you say you a driving on the solar i assume you have an electric car. That would be some interesting joint up thinking from the electricity providers as, with the move to electric transport our demand for electric is going to increase.

Had my smart meter installed earlier in the year, hopefully they will improve the reporting on the electric Ireland website to go with it. Can say for sure they had started anyway.

Makes sense on the grid and keeping it stable.

I was just thinking more of the PR benefits of the panels if you had a wide use as you say. If it brought down the prices for people it would be a big win.

How are you finding the reduction in the bills, and when you say you a driving on the solar i assume you have an electric car. That would be some interesting joint up thinking from the electricity providers as, with the move to electric transport our demand for electric is going to increase.

Had my smart meter installed earlier in the year, hopefully they will improve the reporting on the electric Ireland website to go with it. Can say for sure they had started anyway.

I have BEV and PHEV so plenty of batteries to fill...

Solar PV has come down hugely but still overpriced and you have serious rip off merchants out and about, one guys rang me. I told him what I wanted, he said about 4K over what I paid, I told him no chance I would pay X....he said back “I wouldn’t get the panels out of the shed for that”

When I told him how much a panel in the shed cost he quickly shut up.

The SEAI grant system is a joke, they should have companies coming and saying for a 2kWH system we will install for X, 3kWh for Y, etx...not this 3k towards it as most installers just pocket that. Unfortunately for them I had prices everything prior to grant so I knew my prices :-)

I would love the government to overhaul that whole system

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I don't really see what the benefit of smart meters is. Back in late-2013 I used old fashioned pen and paper and the approx breakdown was:

Heating: 50%
    Hot water: 30%
    Cooking: 10%

My parents (who have gas central heating) recently installed one of these fancy meters that has a "weekly budget" feature. It goes nuts whenever the oven is switched on :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the problem with flights is they are so cheap that the proles can afford them. once carbon taxes make flying a preserve of the elites again we'll be laughing.

• Advertisement

PommieBast wrote: »
    I don't really see what the benefit of smart meters is. Back in late-2013 I used old fashioned pen and paper and the approx breakdown was:

Heating: 50%
    Hot water: 30%
    Cooking: 10%

My parents (who have gas central heating) recently installed one of these fancy meters that has a "weekly budget" feature. It goes nuts whenever the oven is switched on :rolleyes:

The Smart Meter I hate to tell you is not for you, it is for the supply companies. As I mentioned above about the balanced grid. Expect in the future not to have a day/night rate. But to have a rate going up and down during the day.

So cooking show is in, at break everyone flicks on kettle.....to do what you will pay 0.15c per kW....if you wait till the break is over you pay 0.2 per kW....

Advertisement