Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Party wish list.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,701 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The Smart Meter I hate to tell you is not for you, it is for the supply companies. As I mentioned above about the balanced grid. Expect in the future not to have a day/night rate. But to have a rate going up and down during the day.

So cooking show is in, at break everyone flicks on kettle.....to do what you will pay 0.15c per kW....if you wait till the break is over you pay 0.2 per kW....

Other way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Other way around.

Sorry mean 0.1

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Blaze420 wrote: »
    Yeah we might need to look at the way industry etc operates but the Greens are not the people to be a part of that discussion. "Re-introducing wolves to Ireland - because nobody lives outside cities". "Sharing cars in a village - because sure who needs to own their own transport when they are miles from everything". Their solution to everything is hair brained idiocy, because the majority of them are city dwellers with plenty of cash to weather taxation increases but very little brain cells to speak anything less than ****ing gibberish nonsense.

Now - let's talk about the Greens "pulled out of their holes" figure of a 7% reduction in emissions. We're currently in a completely unique situation where a virus has locked down most people worldwide to home only with a massive decrease in air/road traffic and still we only reach about 5%. That is through almost unbearable hardship on people and is not sustainable. Where are these imbeciles getting a 7% figure from? How do they propose to achieve it?

And as for the Paris agreement, don't be so naive that anybody is going to looks at us and go you know what lads, we better follow Irelands lead. That is just a ridiculous assumption. India, China are not going to suddenly wipe half of their industries out for climate change. The Saudis are not going to shut down oil fields for climate change. The US could at any stage under Trump decide **** this, we're out of the agreement. Meanwhile, in little Ireland out here on it's own we want to levy additional tax burdens on people who are already financially compromised because of COVID for what - so the Greens can sit here with big **** eating grins on their faces and give themselves a pat on the back? **** out of that.

Either the whole world gets on board at once or forget about it. Why would I sacrifice my lifestyle or expend money on extra taxes when the end result will be the same? Climate change is not caused by Ireland and Ireland should not be attempting to be a poster boy for something that is virtually impossible to get full buy in across the world on.

If it ends it ends, enjoy what time you have on this planet and stop worrying bout **** that will or might happen long after you are gone from it.

Chuckle

It's funny to think that making you unhappy will save the planet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I have BEV and PHEV so plenty of batteries to fill...

Solar PV has come down hugely but still overpriced and you have serious rip off merchants out and about, one guys rang me. I told him what I wanted, he said about 4K over what I paid, I told him no chance I would pay X....he said back “I wouldn’t get the panels out of the shed for that”

When I told him how much a panel in the shed cost he quickly shut up.

The SEAI grant system is a joke, they should have companies coming and saying for a 2kWH system we will install for X, 3kWh for Y, etx...not this 3k towards it as most installers just pocket that. Unfortunately for them I had prices everything prior to grant so I knew my prices :-)

I would love the government to overhaul that whole system

I have three very large PV sells on the roof, what i am really missing is the batteries though, i also have one or two things i need to finalize with the install.

Your 100% correct on the grant system, its almost like they discourage you from taking it and then the suppliers pocket it. I looked into both PV cell work and also converting from an oil boiler to a heat pump and even with grants allot of it was pocketed it.

PommieBast wrote: »
    I don't really see what the benefit of smart meters is. Back in late-2013 I used old fashioned pen and paper and the approx breakdown was:

Heating: 50%
    Hot water: 30%
    Cooking: 10%

My parents (who have gas central heating) recently installed one of these fancy meters that has a "weekly budget" feature. It goes nuts whenever the oven is switched on :rolleyes:

The main benefit is a more accurate bill but data is power as they say. My house would is a newer build, built during the regulations put in place after the bust and before the builders clawed back allot of the rules to build quality houses. Net-net is i have allot more items using the electrical system as you would expect.

• Advertisement

Calhoun wrote: »
    I have three very large PV sells on the roof, what i am really missing is the batteries though, i also have one or two things i need to finalize with the install.

Your 100% correct on the grant system, its almost like they discourage you from taking it and then the suppliers pocket it. I looked into both PV cell work and also converting from an oil boiler to a heat pump and even with grants allot of it was pocketed it.

F**k me dont mention the heat pump. I want to go with the High Temp Heat pump, keep the Oil as a backup which is supported.....

Lads want 10k to start with, I can buy the heat pump for circa 2k myself. Even to get the SEAI grant I would probably spend more than the grant is worth.....SEAI should be kicked to touch

F**k me dont mention the heat pump. I want to go with the High Temp Heat pump, keep the Oil as a backup which is supported.....

Lads want 10k to start with, I can buy the heat pump for circa 2k myself. Even to get the SEAI grant I would probably spend more than the grant is worth.....SEAI should be kicked to touch

We built with a heatpump in mind but because of funds we had to go with a temporary oil boiler. In that time the original contractor for the pump stopped doing domestic work. Got a few quotes and the cheapest one was around 10-12K and they want to gut the house again :(. Getting the grants doesnt help eithe because as you have pointed out they just built that into what they quote you.

This would be a great green policy to fix and make it a workable system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Calhoun wrote: »
    The main benefit is a more accurate bill but data is power as they say. My house would is a newer build, built during the regulations put in place after the bust and before the builders clawed back allot of the rules to build quality houses. Net-net is i have allot more items using the electrical system as you would expect.
    More accurate billing sounds like an excuse rather than a reason, especially when for about half my recent bills the single largest line-item has been the standing charge.

I also used one of those wall-wart meters to see how much energy things like my PC were using. I soon concluded that the electricity cost of anything that is not a heat generator is not worth caring about.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Water John

With solar PV a higher FIT is required for roof top micro installations compared to large scale land based PV to make it viable. Someone has to pay for that.
    The Tesla battery in Australia is used to balance the Grid. This is a very specific function, with the source being able to contribute quickly for a short time. It's much faster than any other source, a fraction of a second. Pumped water storage takes about 12 sec. This is to prevent the Grid going into a domino collapse.

Water John wrote: »
    With solar PV a higher FIT is required for roof top micro installations compared to large scale land based PV to make it viable. Someone has to pay for that.
    The Tesla battery in Australia is used to balance the Grid. This is a very specific function, with the source being able to contribute quickly for a short time. It's much faster than any other source, a fraction of a second. Pumped water storage takes about 12 sec. This is to prevent the Grid going into a domino collapse.

You don’t need FiT to make roof top installation pay off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I'm not talking about the single domestic house, sorry for not being clear. I was comparing those who talk of putting PV panels on agri and ind buildings and supplying to the grid. Comparing that type of installation with land based larger ones.
    Quite bizarre that we have delayed many renewable energy sources by not giving Govn't supports. We'd rather pay the fine.

Water John wrote: »
    I'm not talking about the single domestic house, sorry for not being clear. I was comparing those who talk of putting PV panels on agri and ind buildings and supplying to the grid. Comparing that type of installation with land based larger ones.
    Quite bizarre that we have delayed many renewable energy sources by not giving Govn't supports. We'd rather pay the fine.

Sorry I wasn’t sure

Yes for larger installation you would need FiT. Farmers have a grant but I think, I could be wrong it’s max is 9kW of panels....not much on a shed to be honest

They get 40% or 60%(young farmer) off cost

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

Here's Green Party 'superstar' Saoirse McHugh admitting that she lies to the public about her real 'end goal' which is total open borders.
    Sounds like an infiltrator who actually has no real interest in environmentalism at all.

Open borders of course is a 100% Neoliberal Capitalist concept and about as far from environmentalism as you can get.

https://twitter.com/gearoidmurphy_/status/1262753866686193665

Here's Green Party 'superstar' Saoirse McHugh admitting that she lies to the public about her real 'end goal' which is total open borders.
    Sounds like an infiltrator who actually has no real interest in environmentalism at all.

Open borders of course is a 100% Neoliberal Capitalist concept and about as far from environmentalism as you can get.

You dont have the full discuss or just a 20 sec snip??

You dont have the full discuss or just a 20 sec snip??

No just this, her position is fairly clear from the clip.

No just this, her position is fairly clear from the clip.

Not really

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Is that Superstar McHugh that failed to get elected to Europe The Dail and the Senate.
    Although Salad Box Ryan might be stupid enough to shove her in to the Senate as part of a Government carve up of goodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

So you'd be in total disagreement with whoever said this?
    She seems genuine in her environmentalism and somewhat realistic regarding carbon tax and the national herd.
    Maybe she should start a real environmentalist party to compete with the corporate whores that call themselves the Green Party.

So you'd be in total disagreement with whoever said this?

Up until I heard a recording of her admitting being deceptive and that her real goal was that of a corporatist Neoliberal ideology.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Gearoid seems like a sane source.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »

Yeah I guess the audio clip must be a voice actor or something. Better get on to her and let her know she's being impersonated.

Yeah I guess the audio clip must be a voice actor or something. Better get on to her and let her know she's being impersonated.

Come back with the full interview

Seems to be following the Gemma route. Not really a viable source I would say

Come back with the full interview

Sorry guys nothing can take away from what she said, its quite clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Saoirse always comes across as a 2 bit stoner, not much logic or thinking to her thoughts- surprised not more have copped on to her by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,701 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Sorry guys nothing can take away from what she said, its quite clear.

It's quite clear you don't want people to hear the context in which she made those remarks.

It's quite clear you don't want people to hear the context in which she made those remarks.

And what context would that be? Because what she says in that clip is pretty clear.

Its on Sean Moncriefs daughters podcast I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Unless and until air travel is carbon neutral We need green taxes on the airlines, the airport operators and also green levies on every air ticket bought

That tax pot then needs to be used to finance green innovations.

• Advertisement

Unless and until air travel is carbon neutral We need green taxes on the airlines, the airport operators and also green levies on every air ticket bought

That tax pot then needs to be used to finance green innovations.

No.

Advertisement