Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Party wish list.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,630 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Micky 32 wrote: »
    The air to me feels so much better here after i have been in Dublin. I notice it a lot.

Again, it's very subjective. Just because you feel something doesn't make true, e.g. placebos.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Again, it's very subjective. Just because you feel something doesn't make true, e.g. placebos.

Talking rubbish now. How on earth could you have just as much clean air in Dublin with thousands of cars bumper to bumper?

Talking rubbish now. How on earth could you have just as much clean air in Dublin with thousands of cars bumper to bumper?

So you're essentially saying that you think it should be much worse therefore it is.

If you look at the different air quality monitoring reports, Zone A is Dublin, Zone D is essentially 'rural Ireland'. The 2018 report has the daily mean for PM2.5 in Marino, Ringsend, Ballyfermot and Davitt Rd was marginally lower than Longford and Roscommon Town. Measured by calibrated equipment.

Ozone values in Zone A are, on average, lower than Zone D.

NO2 levels are higher in Zone A.

So yes, Dublin has higher levels of NO2 but lower levels of Ozone and PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

So you're essentially saying that you think it should be much worse therefore it is.

If you look at the different air quality monitoring reports, Zone A is Dublin, Zone D is essentially 'rural Ireland'. The 2018 report has the daily mean for PM2.5 in Marino, Ringsend, Ballyfermot and Davitt Rd was marginally lower than Longford and Roscommon Town. Measured by calibrated equipment.

Ozone values in Zone A are, on average, lower than Zone D.

NO2 levels are higher in Zone A.

So yes, Dublin has higher levels of NO2 but lower levels of Ozone and PM.

Sorry I just seen this, your argument is less cars are not better for air quality?

Redgirl82 wrote: »
    Sorry I just seen this, your argument is less cars are not better for air quality?

Not sure how you read that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

The emmisions produced by modern cars are a fraction of what they were in the 90s.

Somewhere close to 92% less. But there are more cars on the road.

Redgirl82 wrote: »

What he’s trying to say is the air is dirtier in the village of Ruskey Co Roscommon by the Shannon than it is in Dublin lol ( bear in mind hardly any sod fires lit half the year due to summer)

But in a way that’s good news because it’s says all those petrol/diesel cars and buses/trucks bumper to bumper in Dublin isn’t as dirty for the air as some would make you believe.

What he’s trying to say is the air is dirtier in the village of Ruskey Co Roscommon by the Shannon than it is in Dublin lol

Where did I say that?

I suggest you read it since you don't seem to understand that air quality is measured and not based on what someone thinks it is.

NO2 is higher in Dublin because of higher levels of traffic.

Rural levels of PM are higher and probably because of solid fuel heating.

Where did I say that?

I suggest you read it since you don't seem to understand that air quality is measured and not based on what someone thinks it is.

NO2 is higher in Dublin because of higher levels of traffic.

Rural levels of PM are higher and probably because of solid fuel heating.

I understand what PM is. My point was , bear in mind rural solid fuel fires are becoming more rarer these days and if they are still causing higher PM’s rurally than they are in Dublin it shows moderns cars aren’t as dirty as they are made out to be.

I understand what PM is. My point was , bear in mind rural solid fuel fires are becoming more rarer these days and if they are still causing higher PM’s rurally than they are in Dublin it shows moderns cars aren’t as dirty as they are made out to be.

I don't understand why you try and manufacture a slant on what I said.

You were suggesting that air is cleaner in 'the countryside' and it seems to be an opinion based on fewer cars.

My sole point was that there are different air pollutants with varying impacts on air quality and human health and some of those pollutants are found in higher levels in rural areas.

Solid fuel heating is becoming rarer in New builds but still a lot of older houses using fires with back boiler.

Neither of those points are me deflecting or trying to make it urban vs rural. I have no interest in trying to make a rural vs urban argument because that is counter productive nonsense.

• Advertisement

No you are trying change your slant now. You have been banging on the last few posts about the PM’s being higher than in Dublin because of solid fuel fires etc that’s fair enough. These are the particles that can cause serious lung problems premature death etc etc that i often see pop up in other threads.

I was just making a point that if you have thousands of gridlocked cars/trucks/buses in Dublin and the PM is lower than a few fires out in the windy countryside it shows that cars aren’t as dirty as some would like you to believe. Is that hard to understand what i’m saying?

No you are trying change your slant now. You have been banging on the last few posts about the PM’s being higher than in Dublin because of solid fuel fires etc that’s fair enough. These are the particles that can cause serious lung problems premature death etc etc that i often see pop up in other threads.

I was just making a point that if you have thousands of gridlocked cars/trucks/buses in Dublin and the PM is lower than a few fires out in the windy countryside it shows that cars aren’t as dirty as some would like you to believe. Is that hard to understand what i’m saying?

I haven't changed my slant at all.

You've put alloys on tour goalposts if what you're trying to say that you've been telling me cars are cleaner when you were just going on about how much worse the air was in Dublin.

Anyway, I've made my point and linked the report. The end.

I haven't changed my slant at all.

You've put alloys on tour goalposts if what you're trying to say that you've been telling me cars are cleaner when you were just going on about how much worse the air was in Dublin.

Anyway, I've made my point and linked the report. The end.

No, you were the one that was telling me that the thousands of cars all chuggiing away together were cleaner than a few open fires in the countryside when you posted the report.

No, you were the one that was telling me that the thousands of cars all chuggiing away together were cleaner than a few open fires in the countryside when you posted the report.

You might show me where I said exactly that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Water John

With Catherine Martin expressing an interest in Eamon Ryan's position, it's getting very strange. She's also the head of the Green team in Govn't formation talks, but her position seems to be opposed to going into Govn't with FF & FG.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/views/daniel-mcconnell-leadership-battle-could-see-greens-snatch-defeat-from-jaws-of-victory-1000782.html

You might show me where I said exactly that.

Maybe you didn’t directly say it but that’s what your report suggests.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Water John wrote: »
    With Catherine Martin expressing an interest in Eamon Ryan's position, it's getting very strange. She's also the head of the Green team in Govn't formation talks, but her position seems to be opposed to going into Govn't with FF & FG.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/views/daniel-mcconnell-leadership-battle-could-see-greens-snatch-defeat-from-jaws-of-victory-1000782.html

Just when you think the Greens couldn't get any worse...

I wish they'd just get out of the whole thing now and we had another election. I can't see there being much appetite in either FF or especially FG for this stupid charade continuing if this is what's going on in the background...

Just when you think the Greens couldn't get any worse...

I wish they'd just get out of the whole thing now and we had another election. I can't see there being much appetite in either FF or especially FG for this stupid charade continuing if this is what's going on in the background...

This carry on with the greens doesn’t surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Does anyone here really think that throwing a small bit of an ol' sweet wrapper in the stove up a mountain somewhere in rural Ireland is going to harm the growth of a lettuce seed on a window sill in the middle of Dublin city?

When I say anyone now, I don't mean the lads that didn't make the debating team in school or college and still have a chip on their shoulder because of the social isolation.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Does anyone here really think that throwing a small bit of an ol' sweet wrapper in the stove up a mountain somewhere in rural Ireland is going to harm the growth of a lettuce seed on a window sill in the middle of Dublin city?

When I say anyone now, I don't mean the lads that didn't make the debating team in school or college and still have a chip on their shoulder because of the social isolation.

That really qualifies as a weighty contribution to the debate.
    If some Tories in the UK are backing climate change solutions, then it's time for us all to look.

• Advertisement

Maybe you didn’t directly say it but that’s what your report suggests.

Stop digging

• Registered Users Posts: 21,698 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

What about the lads in school who laughed at those on debating teams saying 'why would you want to have an argument about a made up thing, sure we already know all the answers'?

Stop digging

Digging? Lol i wasn’t the one who tried to prove a point and then put my foot in it by revealing cars aren’t the evil they are supposed to be..

Digging? Lol i wasn’t the one who tried to prove a point and then put my foot in it by revealing cars aren’t the evil they are supposed to be..

Not did I. You've already confirmed I didn't.

You've tied yourself up in circles. Good luck untangling yourself.

Not did I. You've already confirmed I didn't.

You've tied yourself up in circles. Good luck untangling yourself.

The report that you linked revealed it .

What about the lads in school who laughed at those on debating teams saying 'why would you want to have an argument about a made up thing, sure we already know all the answers'?

What about 'um?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Micky is taking out the trash here and burning it because it's better for society than him driving to a recycling center only to be turned back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Everyone and their dog know that the green extra votes were pass overs from Sinn Fein votes. They have no mandate.

Re-election please

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Everyone and their dog know that the green extra votes were pass overs from Sinn Fein votes. They have no mandate.

Re-election please

Not liking the result isn't a mandate for a second election.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

Blueshoe wrote: »

Re-election please

No thanks, nobody sane wants another election

How would we even run another election with Covid? It will cost millions and won’t change anything.

Advertisement