Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Party wish list.

Options

Comments

Glad to see the Greens, insist on developing and implementing proper cycling infrastructure. It's something that is long overdue and more people in towns and cities. We get out of cars, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

efanton wrote: »
    Do you have any idea of what you are talking about. Seriously have you thought it through at all?

Farmers in this country predominantly keep livestock because its the only viable way to make a profit with the land they have.

You get rid of the beef, you get rid of the meat processing plants, the cheese factories, the milk suppliers. Do you realise how many jobs will be lost?

But lets imagine a farmer decides in a moment of madness to get rid of his dairy or beef herd. He now wants to grow vegetables instead.
    With our climate it would be impossible to grow multplie crops each year, unless you grew all these vegatables under plastic or in geen houses.
    Now to keep producing multple crops each year he the farmer is going to have to use huge amount of pesticides which predominantly come from fossil fuel such as oil or gas. He will also have to use massive amount of fertilisers in order to get multiple crops each year.
    Those farmers that use greenhouses are going to have to heat them for multiple months of the year if they intend to harvest multiple crops each year.
    Finally he is going to have to use machinery to harvest those crops.
    Even after all that his produce is still more expensive than the fruit and veg that is imported to this country. The cost of your weekly shop has now dramatically increased.

There's a reason why country like Spain which have a warmer drier climate are predominately horticultural and Ireland is not. They have a climate that allows multiple crops every year, they dont have to deal with plant pests and diseases that prefer a mild and wet climate which mean they dont have to use as much pesticides.

The reality is that if Ireland switched from livestock based agriculture to horticulture there would be an INCREASE in the use of fossil fuels, pesticides, fertilisers and emissions.

Read what I wrote again, I said dairy farmer's shouldn't cut back, dairy farming washes it's own face, beef farming is a loss making enterprise along with contributing to our emissions levels, replacing beef with forestry is better for everyone including farmer's

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

To see the Greens, insist on developing and implementing proper cycling infrastructure. It's something that is long overdue and more people in towns and cities. We get out of cars, the better.

It really is a no brainer and will bring so many benefits to our society for generations.
    I give up on rural Ireland, they want roads and motorways and one off housing covering every bit of land that isn't a beef or dairy farm, but if the Greens at least get our cities and towns more accessible to pedestrians and cyclists I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Can only hope the general FF party members reject this "deal".

It's the same thing that happened the last time the Greens had a whiff of power - tax everything and call it environmentalism! :rolleyes:

This latest tax hike won't impact on those who have alternative PT options they aren't currently using, but anyone outside of Dublin (or not doing a simple A-B commute) will be shafted yet again - ditto anyone who can't just afford to buy a new(er) car... especially in the current jobs/economic climate.

And for what? Because FF/FG leadership are obsessed with being the "Good boys of Europe", and Eamon and co want to virtue signal? And this nonsense of being one of the highest CO2 generators per capita? So what? We have a national population smaller than some major cities. It's irrelevant on the wider scale unless China, US and others play ball too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Read what I wrote again, I said dairy farmer's shouldn't cut back, dairy farming washes it's own face, beef farming is a loss making enterprise along with contributing to our emissions levels, replacing beef with forestry is better for everyone including farmer's

Did mammy and daddy have that little talk with you about where little babies come from?

How are you going to have cows without also having bulls or bullocks as well.
    Are we going to start giving cows abortions now if they happen to be carrying male calf's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    10 years now the government has given grants for electric, hybrid car Free charger installations. Free fuel on public network. Cheaper tolls etc ect etc

Unfortunatly the Irish people ignored all of this. The rest of the world moved away from diesel. The UK moved away from diesel and they found a lovely dumping ground for all these cars in Ireland. Look at the motors forums for plenty of examples.

And remind us what political party had the bright idea to flood the country with diesels in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Muahahaha wrote: »
    And remind us what political party had the bright idea to flood the country with diesels in the first place?

He may also have for forgotten that for 4/5 years of those 10, much of the country was still on its knees.

Indeed, even in 2020 there are many who have yet to feel any real benefits of the "recovery" ... and that's BEFORE the impending economic crash caused as a result of CV-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

anyone debating on the side of cutting down on / removing beef farming should state whether they eat meat or not , I'd wager most are posting in bad faith trying to further their own morality stance rather than 'save the planet'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Can only hope the general FF party members reject this "deal".

It's the same thing that happened the last time the Greens had a whiff of power - tax everything and call it environmentalism! :rolleyes:

This latest tax hike won't impact on those who have alternative PT options they aren't currently using, but anyone outside of Dublin (or not doing a simple A-B commute) will be shafted yet again - ditto anyone who can't just afford to buy a new(er) car... especially in the current jobs/economic climate.

And for what? Because FF/FG leadership are obsessed with being the "Good boys of Europe", and Eamon and co want to virtue signal? And this nonsense of being one of the highest CO2 generators per capita? So what? We have a national population smaller than some major cities. It's irrelevant on the wider scale unless China, US and others play ball too.

Have to agree 100% with this for once.

The greens and their massive demands and egos getting their way.

Very disappointed FG and FF are letting them dictate this nonsense.

I hope FG reject the deal. There is next to nothing in it for their voters.

• Advertisement

anyone debating on the side of cutting down on / removing beef farming should state whether they eat meat or not , I'd wager most are posting in bad faith trying to further their own morality stance rather than 'save the planet'

I don't eat beef anyway, or pork. Just fish really.
    We could still stuff everyone in Ireland with beef and dairy if we didn't create so much for export. It's sad we have no forests or wilderness. But sure all that seems to matter is money and economic growth to most people, so let's just keep growing beef and dairy and embrace all the damage it's causing to biodiversity.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Cant afford a bit more on diesel. Motor tax is s good as free these days for most cars. I have a car but started cycling a lot locally recently, way less stressful than car and people are just so incredibly lazy.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Cant afford a bit more on diesel. Motor tax is s good as free these days for most cars. I have a car but started cycling a lot locally recently, way less stressful than car and people are just so incredibly lazy.

I don't know how people sit in traffic all the time. This was the Phoenix Park yesterday, you'd want to be nuts to drive anywhere in Dublin on a Saturday afternoon, I'd lose my mind.

https://twitter.com/CiaranCuffe/status/1271855869630787590

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Muahahaha wrote: »

The 2008 change had nothing to do with diesel. Just to change the system to price towards a more "green" fuel.

The flood of diesel was from the irish people who threw away brand new cars to reduce a yearly tax by a couple of hundred quid, buying new cars at the cost of thousands as well......I think saying a political party made that happen is put the blinkers on a small bit

No air taxes are needed. The DAA is in public ownership and the majority of what is flying in and out of the airport is Ryanair or Aer Lingus.
    At present IAG and Ryanair will not base their A320Neos and 737Maxes at Dublin as they will be used elsewhere. Changing the landing fees so that as many Neos and Maxes and A350s and ATRs and 787s come to Dublin instead of elsewhere will achieve the same result without impinging on people's personal freedoms but the dogma of the Greens would never permit that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭PommieBast

how about we keep millions of people in abject poverty in rural areas to keep that per capita number down like china does.
    When I glanced "sustainable farming" on the front cover of the newspaper (was quickly eyeballing all the headlines) oxen pulling a plow did spring to mind..

I hope FG reject the deal. There is next to nothing in it for their voters.

FG brought in the Paris agreement??????

They are the ones that set this all in motion. This is exactly what FG wanted to do but didnt have the balls to do it, so blame the Greens and do it now. Works perfect for FG

FG brought in the Paris agreement??????

They are the ones that set this all in motion. This is exactly what FG wanted to do but didnt have the balls to do it, so blame the Greens and do it now. Works perfect for FG
    You are not talking about the party members. You are not talking about the voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I don't eat beef anyway, or pork. Just fish really.
    We could still stuff everyone in Ireland with beef and dairy if we didn't create so much for export. It's sad we have no forests or wilderness. But sure all that seems to matter is money and economic growth to most people, so let's just keep growing beef and dairy and embrace all the damage it's causing to biodiversity.

What.... ????
    lad get out of Dublin and take a look around.

So now England has electric cars but they are not cheap?

In reality for a few years yes EV prices even in Ireland went back up, that was becaus of heavy depreciation at the start. I enjoyed this on a eGolf and Leaf when I bought and sold a few years later with no loss

That was when no other cars around. With the Leaf 2 launch it flooded the market here and in uk with Leaf 1, eGolf 2 is out and loads buying, you now have electric from all main manufacturers and of course the famous Tesla 3 is out. Check electric car forum where some of the guys picked up the Tesla S for next to nothing for a car that starts at 70k I think

But I’m sure your aware of all of this :-)

It is with nothing when I had my eGolf Gen 1, 2 be garages in the entire island could service, now nearly every Vw can and the new ID will be launched soon which VW say will replace the Golf....in sure you knew that as well
    Hint: When you are going to great trouble explaining how your perceived view of the world doesn't match facts you are losing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,531 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The carbon tax went up recently and the Greens were still sitting on the opposition benches, not in Govn't.

Hint: When you are going to great trouble explaining how your perceived view of the world doesn't match facts you are losing.

:P:P:P

If you say so!!

Water John wrote: »
    The carbon tax went up recently and the Greens were still sitting on the opposition benches, not in Govn't.

Seemingly FG knew nothing about this or their supporters.....oh wait FG put that in the last budget

Some peopel really haven't a clue

God bless you post count.

What.... ????

Lowest forest cover in the EU apart from Malta ffs. And only 2% of that forest cover is natural forest, the rest is sitka spruce farms for profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Also, along with my proposals for taxes on the carriers and airports, and green levies on air fares I forgot to add there should be substantial tax on aviation fuel - I believe the greens are working towards this.

efanton wrote: »
    Did mammy and daddy have that little talk with you about where little babies come from?

How are you going to have cows without also having bulls or bullocks as well.
    Are we going to start giving cows abortions now if they happen to be carrying male calf's?

No need for sarcasm, the beef demand can be satisfied by the dairy herd, dairy farms use beef breed bulls after using artificial insemination to breed dairy replacement stock

Increasing forestry and cutting down the beef cow herd gets us off the hook re_ emissions target's, also provides a better income for drystock farmers

What.... ????

We have very little forest and even fewer with natural irish tree

I love the taste of cooked flesh

We don't need the number of cattle we have, I'm not saying we go vegetarian at all, no ideology here

• Advertisement

We have very little forest and even fewer with natural irish tree

But sure go outside and look at the green fields! Biodiversity in all its glory!

Advertisement