Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Party wish list.

Options

Comments

Also, along with my proposals for taxes on the carriers and airports, and green levies on air fares I forgot to add there should be substantial tax on aviation fuel - I believe the greens are working towards this.
    Have you heard of tankering. Your suggestion is counter-productive but doesn't matter as Ireland can't act unilaterally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭dmakc

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    No need for sarcasm, the beef demand can be satisfied by the dairy herd, dairy farms use beef breed bulls after using artificial insemination to breed dairy replacement stock

Increasing forestry and cutting down the beef cow herd gets us off the hook re_ emissions target's, also provides a better income for drystock farmers

Please man, quit while you're behind. That is utter high level nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I hope FG reject the deal. There is next to nothing in it for their voters.

It's worse than that. It's an insult to the 440,000 people who voted for them. How dare they treat us like fools. What's the point in voting for a party that advocates centre right policies only to abandon them so Leo and Simon can keep the state cars and the expensive salaries??

I used to think the Shinners being in power was the worst thing that could happen the country, this runs it as near as makes no difference close. Really the only reason the Shinners would be worse is because of their past and refusal to call this country by its correct name or recognise the institutions of it.

In terms of actual policies on ordinary people's lives, I actually think they would less negatively impact on people than this will. At least the Shinners wanted roads built and wanted tax cuts for lower income earners.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

dmakc wrote: »
    Please man, quit while you're behind. That is utter high level nonsense

Is it now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Have you heard of tankering. Your suggestion is counter-productive but doesn't matter as Ireland can't act unilaterally.

I agree it has to be EU wide but the aviation industry has to be made Paris agreement compliant sooner rather than later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

No need for sarcasm, the beef demand can be satisfied by the dairy herd, dairy farms use beef breed bulls after using artificial insemination to breed dairy replacement stock

Increasing forestry and cutting down the beef cow herd gets us off the hook re_ emissions target's, also provides a better income for drystock farmers

Its not sarcasm, its reality.

How do you propose a dairy farmer produces female only calves?

Where do you think all our beef comes from?
    I'll give you a hint, all the bullocks are born on dairy farms, which are then sold at market so that the beef farmers can grow them on for eventual slaughter.

Beef farmers do not breed cattle.

Is it now ?

Yes, I've seen nothing substantial from the ideas mentioned; from agri being Irelands worst carbon offender, to the lack of consideration for those having their homes enclosed by forestry (i.e. those of us who don't live in Dublin), and most importantly the complete lack of practical knowledge displayed on every farming practice from beef to dairy to forestry (if forestry can even be considered a "practice", retirement is more apt)

dmakc wrote: »
    Yes, I've seen nothing substantial from the ideas mentioned; from agri being Irelands worst carbon offender, to the lack of consideration for those having their homes enclosed by forestry (i.e. those of us who don't live in Dublin), and most importantly the complete lack of practical knowledge displayed on every farming practice from beef to dairy to forestry (if forestry can even be considered a "practice", retirement is more apt)
    These posters obviously know nothing about farming or rather what exactly is possible with Irish land in various regions of Ireland.

Also, along with my proposals for taxes on the carriers and airports, and green levies on air fares I forgot to add there should be substantial tax on aviation fuel - I believe the greens are working towards this.

I posted earlier regarding how fuel efficient aircraft are compared to all other forms of transport.

Let me put it another way. A 747 uses 5 gallons of fuel per mile.
    That sounds horrendous doesn't it.
    But consider that that 747 typically carries 500 passengers as well as cargo at the same time.

A 747 is transporting 500 people 1 mile using 5 gallons of fuel. That means the plane is burning 0.01 gallons per person per mile. In other words, the plane is getting 100 miles per gallon per person! And that doesn't even account for any additional cargo carried.

Do they sound horrendously fuel inefficient now?

Do you realise that aviation is probably the most fuel efficient form of transport.

Also if you put up taxes here in Ireland for aiviation fuel all you achieve is that these aircraft will refuel elsewhere, and along with that any tax revenue leaves the country too.

Is it the Greens aim to bankrupt the country, or is it that you simply are incapable of thinking a policy through?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Looks like the Green Party have got a lot of concessions. Hard to see how the deal won't be endorsed by the membership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

efanton wrote: »
    Its not sarcasm, its reality.

How do you propose a dairy farmer produces female only calves?

Where do you think all our beef comes from?
    I'll give you a hint, all the bullocks are born on dairy farms, which are then sold at market so that the beef farmers can grow them on for eventual slaughter.

Beef farmers do not breed cattle.

You think that beef farmer's "do not breed cattle " ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The one huge advantage of the Greens getting into government is sending people crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,674 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    We have very little forest and even fewer with natural irish tree

We have as much natural forest as most other countries but we get no credit because they are in hedge rows. The vast majority of forest that is planted is of non native species. Any commercial forestry planted will be similar. The only commercial trees that we were planting that were native and Irish was Ash but ash die back has put a stop to that.

Slava Ukrainii

And what's more Dairy Cattle and Beef Cattle are generally not the same much as Chicken Broilers and Layers are not the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

agriculture is the biggest contributor to carbon emissions full stop in this country

i dont know what you mean by 1/10th of what its worth ?

if farmers want to sell their land , they can , im not suggesting current farmers have to plant , they could sell instead and whoever buys could plant , beef farming should be phased out however for the most part ,we can get all the steaks we need from the dairy herd

beef farming requires tax payer subsidisation in this country , why not instead just subsidise forestry but for the entire duration the trees takes to grow ?

It isn't. Energy production is.

We have as much natural forest as most other countries but we get no credit because they are in hedge rows. The vast majority of forest that is planted is of non native species. Any commercial forestry planted will be similar. The only commercial trees that we were planting that were native and Irish was Ash but ash die back has put a stop to that.
    The Land Commission has much to answer for. Decisions made in the early part of the 20th Century have shaped the landscape.

No other country has hedge rows?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Looks like the Green Party have got a lot of concessions. Hard to see how the deal won't be endorsed by the membership.

Id imagine satires mchugh and her strain will still object to it as it doesn't line up property developers and bankers to be shot , but id say most greens would vote for anything just to have a seat at the table again.

No other country has hedge rows?
    You'll travel a long way before you see a hedgerow in most of western Europe.

You'll travel a long way before you see a hedgerow in most of western Europe.

UK, France, Germany dont have hedgerows????

• Advertisement

There is a subset involved. Suckler and dairy farmers breed them. Beef farmers in the context mentioned above, buy.

No, I travel from village to village and they don't generally. one farmer's field ends and another Farmer's begins with no demarcation between except perhaps open pathways which the general public are free to wander on.
    The countryside is open and people are free to roam and then they've got a huge percentage of their country under native broadleaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

We are world renowned for farming and the product we supply

The final nail for FG in rural Ireland if this goes through

Any where where you have grain crops or horticulture you will see very little hedgerows. Where livestock is farmed you will see them.
    Go to some parts of Germany and it might be literally a few miles between them.
    Obviously there are parts of Germany that simply are not suitable for tillage, so in those places where livestock is kept you will see them.

Hedgerows prevent the use of large harvesting and seeding machinery, and add significant cost.

But the Greens want us to get rid of the livestock so I guess they want rid of the hedgerows too.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,040 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

We are world renowned for farming and the product we supply

The final nail for FG in rural Ireland if this goes through

FG ? FG are traditionally the party of big farmers. The Green Party should be blamed if their policies effect rural Ireland.

Any where where you have grain crops or horticulture you will see very little hedgerows. Where livestock is farmed you will see them.
    Obviously there are parts of Germany that simply are not suitable for tillage, so in those places where livestock is kept you will see them.
    You won't see livestock. The livestock are kept indoors all year round. About the only livestock I'd see are hairy highlands breeds and the like and they are more like pets than commercial livestock.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

No, I travel from village to village and they don't generally. one farmer's field ends and another Farmer's begins with no demarcation between except perhaps open pathways which the general public are free to wander on.
    The countryside is open and people are free to roam and then they've got a huge percentage of their country under native broadleaf.

Yeah, there are no hedges in England :rolleyes:
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.9224694,-2.321135,3a,75y,190.47h,80.63t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sIqrgurO-WPY_D99U_FcJUA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Why do people come out with stuff that is demonstrably false.

Of course there are hedgerows in England - especially away form tillage areas.

Hedgerows prevent the use of large harvesting and seeding machinery, and add significant cost.

But the Greens want us to get rid of the livestock so I guess they want rid of the hedgerows too.

I live in part of Ireland and you could drive for miles without seeing a cow or any licestock. All grain, rapeseed etc. We have hedgerows.

I drove all over UK, they have grain fields which dwarf anything Ireland would have but they have hedgerows.....

Trying to say our percentage of trees would be higher if we counted headgerows is a bit mental to be honest. Due to risk of falling trees the number of large trees along roadside is rapidly decreasing as well and not been replaced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    FG ? FG are traditionally the party of big farmers. The Green Party should be blamed if their policies effect rural Ireland.

If fg agreed to the green demands then they will be blamed.

This thrown together government will lead to a SF led government next time around. Watch and see

• Advertisement

Yeah, there are no hedges in England :rolleyes:
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.9224694,-2.321135,3a,75y,190.47h,80.63t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sIqrgurO-WPY_D99U_FcJUA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Why do people come out with stuff that is demonstrably false.

Of course there are hedgerows in England - especially away form tillage areas.
    I said most of western Europe. The British Isles are an exception, they are not the rule.
    Stop arguing with someone who came from a rural community. I see what is what. You have a fluffy view of the world remote from actuality.

Advertisement