Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Party wish list.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,009 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    the problems arent just with wealth creation, but ultimately with money creation
    On the point of social housing, do you accept that giving them to private ownership has ultimately created more private assets and reduced available supply for those who need them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Yes and given Ireland is so small as to be utterly irrelevant when it comes to the climate it adds up to nothing more than shooting ourselves in the foot through virtue signalling.

IT is in fact the opposite. If we meet our targets then we can sell our credits. Sell to the highest bidder as well. How many countries have signed up to the Paris agreement? how many will meet their targets?

PLus as I mentioned before, if we become the expert then we can sell our services to other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,567 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ELM327 wrote: »
    On the point of social housing, do you accept that giving them to private ownership has ultimately created more private assets and reduced available supply for those who need them?

difficult one, but yes, reducing pubic stock was a bad idea, baring in mind, all humans need secure accommodation, i.e. those that live in them need them

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

They should remove the 10% social housing rubbish in all estates and build new social housing on state land in areas traditionally suited to it.

Instead we are going down the road of turning every new estate in to a sink estate where everyone loses.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

University College Cork have priced the 7% reduction at a cost to the taxpayer of 40 billion euro .
    sure thats only 8 grand for every man woman and child in the country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,009 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    difficult one, but yes, reducing pubic stock was a bad idea, baring in mind, all humans need secure accommodation, i.e. those that live in them need them

They need secure accommodation yes but do not need ownership of an asset. That's the divergence.

Give lifetime tenancy reviewed every 12 months and is non inheritable.

They should remove the 10% social housing rubbish in all estates and build new social housing on state land in areas traditionally suited to it.

Instead we are going down the road of turning every new estate in to a sink estate where everyone loses.
    Agreed.

They need secure accommodation yes but do not need ownership of an asset. That's the divergence.

Give lifetime tenancy reviewed every 12 months and is non inheritable.

yea thats not a bad idea, and the asset stays in pubic ownership

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭combat14

people dont seem to realise its 7% year on year every reductions .. isnt it great

time to send ireland back to the stone age

combat14 wrote: »
    people dont seem to realise its 7% year on year every reductions .. isnt it great

time to send ireland back to the stone age

we ll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 18,674 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

But on the point of social housing, we made a mistake last time in giving them to private ownership

They stopped being a drain on the state when they went into private ownership. They were not given away they bought at a subsidised price by there tenants. The rent subsidity scheme works out way cheaper than building and maintain houses. A lot of properties in Local Authority ownership need complete revamps every 15-20 years. Call to see council build apartments blocks less than 10 years old and see the vandalism carried out the entry systems I have yet to see one that works properly that older 20 years. Stairwells used as tip area's. Any with small gardens not maintained, and general vandalism area.

The children of a lot of the generation that bought these houses managed to provide there own housing. It's success was it failure it left the most useless behind to be catered for by the state

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭frw5

How about reviewing avarage house prices and how much are the banks willing to borrow, where unless you have inheritance or 100k per year, which is small % of society, you are screwed. But luckily when covid is over the majority of us can fly to Australia and the rest can...

It's agreed anyway......

Im happy anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 18,674 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

sure thats only 8 grand for every man woman and child in the country

To put it in a better context, allow for the don't pay won't pay, allowing for OAPs and children it about 30-40 grand per higher rate tax payer

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

It could be that E Ryan gets to be the compromise Taoiseach if FF and FG cannot agree

It could be that E Ryan gets to be the compromise Taoiseach if FF and FG cannot agree

i suspect ffg will share it

To put it in a better context, allow for the don't pay won't pay, allowing for OAPs and children it about 30-40 grand per higher rate tax payer

Which is not entirely true.

Most of the green plans I would expect would gte large grants from Europe. Plus it is not a case of just finding new money, I would expect money to divert from task A to task B.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Which is not entirely true.

Most of the green plans I would expect would gte large grants from Europe. Plus it is not a case of just finding new money, I would expect money to divert from task A to task B.

ah money creation is easy, eu institutions can do it with relative ease

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

This one might be controversial...

Programme for Government to committ to banning the sale of new and the importation of second-hand petrol and diesel cars from 2030. @rtenews

https://mobile.twitter.com/MichealLehane

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

So now England has electric cars but they are not cheap?

In reality for a few years yes EV prices even in Ireland went back up, that was becaus of heavy depreciation at the start. I enjoyed this on a eGolf and Leaf when I bought and sold a few years later with no loss

That was when no other cars around. With the Leaf 2 launch it flooded the market here and in uk with Leaf 1, eGolf 2 is out and loads buying, you now have electric from all main manufacturers and of course the famous Tesla 3 is out. Check electric car forum where some of the guys picked up the Tesla S for next to nothing for a car that starts at 70k I think

But I’m sure your aware of all of this :-)

It is with nothing when I had my eGolf Gen 1, 2 be garages in the entire island could service, now nearly every Vw can and the new ID will be launched soon which VW say will replace the Golf....in sure you knew that as well

Can you post a link to where I can pick up a model s for next to nothing?
    Always wanted one for next to nothing.
    Phenomenal machine.

tom1ie wrote: »
    Can you post a link to where I can pick up a model s for next to nothing?
    Always wanted one for next to nothing.
    Phenomenal machine.

Go to electric car forum, plenty of threads about how to pick up a bargain....

• Advertisement

Programme for Government to committ to banning the sale of new and the importation of second-hand petrol and diesel cars from 2030. @rtenews

I posted on other thread but as I mentioned it is not

You will be still buying/selling diesel in 2040. IN reality you could still be buying selling them in 2050 if they are still going.

It is only new cars and to be honest the car manufacturers will be telling us long before the government do what we will/wont be buying

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Absolutely needed. This really ups the pressure on the car industry to develop real alternatives to petrol and diesel.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Absolutely needed. This really ups the pressure on the car industry to develop real alternatives to petrol and diesel.

UNfortunealty the car companies don't give a cr*p about Ireland. Especially with the amount of imports from the UK

It is only when the likes of Germany/France/UK put dates in they will move. Lucky for Ireland this has already happened so all the top manufacturers have full electric fleets ready or near ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Go to electric car forum, plenty of threads about how to pick up a bargain....

But for next to nothing? I haven’t seen one there I have to admit.
    Have you a link to help me out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I believe light commercial vehicles are included in that (in other words, vans). Now that's simply a non runner at the moment. While cars have a decent electric range (300 to 400km), the best van I think has a range of 80km (or there abouts) when loaded. Now, that range would work for a small number of users, it won't work for most. Imagine a rural post delivery or a DHL van doing a run to West Cork getting on with that range (other couriers are just as good)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

For the diesel it would be a vintage issue at that stage and petrol engines won't be commonly made then.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

ianobrien wrote: »
    I believe light commercial vehicles are included in that (in other words, vans). Now that's simply a non runner at the moment. While cars have a decent electric range (300 to 400km), the best van I think has a range of 80km (or there abouts) when loaded. Now, that range would work for a small number of users, it won't work for most. Imagine a rural post delivery or a DHL van doing a run to West Cork getting on with that range (other couriers are just as good)

thankfully will probably be exempt from this, which in itself brings this strange loophole where people who were driving diesel saloons will transition to full size diesel 4x4 crewcab SUV's , polluting twice as much because the greens strategy on cars always backfires spectacularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,698 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

thankfully will probably be exempt from this, which in itself brings this strange loophole where people who were driving diesel saloons will transition to full size diesel 4x4 crewcab SUV's , polluting twice as much because the greens strategy on cars always backfires spectacularly.

I thought people who were driving diesels couldn't afford more expensive cars.

Which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

I thought people who were driving diesels couldn't afford more expensive cars.

Which is it?
    You assumed that those driving diesel cars bought them new.

I have to ask do you own a car or is it that you are wealthy enough not to realise that the majority of car owners buy their cars second hand?
    What the greens have just done by committing a government to their policies is absolutely guarantee that there will still be diesel vehicles on the road in 2030, and lots of them.

For most families buying a new, or relatively new, vehicle is just a pipe dream. The second hand market of EV's will take at least 10 years to get to a level where the supply meets demand. Now that the Green have forced to government to dramatically increase fuel prices fuel economy is going to be a big factor when people buy a second hand car. The result will be significantly more diesel cars on the road than petrol. Well done the Green fantastic own goal.

Essential what the Green are introducing is a poverty tax, people are being taxed because they cannot afford to replace their car with a new one, or relatively new one. Instead of being able to put a bit of money aside each month to save for a newer car thee families will now have to spend that money on carbon taxes. Yet again another own goal by Greens - they have delayed the point where everyone has an EV and diesel and petrol cars have been eradicated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,698 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

efanton wrote: »
    You assumed that those driving diesel cars bought them new.

I have to ask do you own a car or is it that you are wealthy enough not to realise that the majority of car owners buy their cars second hand?
    What the greens have just done by committing a government to their policies is absolutely guarantee that there will still be diesel vehicles on the road in 2030, and lots of them.

For most families buying a new, or relatively new, vehicle is just a pipe dream. The second hand market of EV's will take at least 10 years to get to a level where the supply meets demand. Now that the Green have forced to government to dramatically increase fuel prices fuel economy is going to be a big factor when people buy a second hand car. The result will be significantly more diesel cars on the road than petrol. Well done the Green fantastic own goal.

Essential what the Green are introducing is a poverty tax, people are being taxed because they cannot afford to replace their car with a new one, or relatively new one. Instead of being able to put a bit of money aside each month to save for a newer car thee families will now have to spend that money on carbon taxes. Yet again another own goal by Greens - they have delayed the point where everyone has an EV and diesel and petrol cars have been eradicated.

What is the fascination with how wealthy I am all of a sudden? I am not but if I was, would that mean I wasn't entitled to an opinion?

It's been posted before just how much people pay for the privilege of having a car (new or second hand) which is parked up 92% of the time (on average), people should be crying out for ways in which they can avoid that. And again, I know that many people absolutely will continue to need them.

The reality is action is needed, feel free to make suggestions or demand that FG/FF offer preferred solutions.

Advertisement