Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Party wish list.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That's a secondary point. Quantative Easing has been used by the ECB.
    That's simply, printing euro.

How do the Irish Government convince the ECB to print the money they want to use to build cycle paths on every windswept boreen in the country so that people can cycle in lashing rain that will soak you to the skin within seconds to connect with the superfast trains that don't exist on tracks that can't handle them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

How do the Irish Government convince the ECB to print the money they want to use to build cycle paths on every windswept boreen in the country so that people can cycle in lashing rain that will soak you to the skin within seconds to connect with the superfast trains that don't exist on tracks that can't handle them.

We'll get them drunk...then spoof like we've never spoofed before!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Water John

• Advertisement

The thing is they hate cars but we are heading unavoidably toward electric cars and that nullifies their CO2 complaints and those cars are about the most efficient way for the population outside the big cities to travel around. The country hasn't shrunk in the wash yet so bikes and public transport aren't a runner for those outside the cities.
    They want some sort of reverse Pol Pot policy where everyone is forced to abandon their homes in smaller villages and in the countryside and be resettled where they deem fit(browse posts above, I'm not misrepresenting their intentions)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

We're a small island nation.
    The idea is to organise society towards living in cities, towns and village communities so that we increase quality of life and reduce car dependence.
    If your living within walking/bike ride of a super-fast train, will you own a car or choose to rent 1 for the 1 weekend in 4 when you use it? Gocar etc already offer this. This technology will get cheaper, quicker in the years to come.

But you are making the HUGE assumption that first you could get reliable, cheap, and frequent public transport in to all villages with a 300 person population and that this public transport could be run without making a loss.

It is simply not going to be possible to provide public transport in every town in the country, so lets not even consider villages. You possibly put it into every town if the government are prepared for it to be a loss making exercise that is offset by a better standard of living or improved infrastructure that will eventually help grow an economy, but it would still be a loss making enterprise.

Personally I dont think there is a away that is even possible to do away with personal transport that would be in any way affordable to either the individual citizen or the government in a rural environment. If that is the case the surely the first step should be not attempting to get rid of cars, but making those cars as environmentally neutral as possible.

There no point in trying to jump from where we are to a final finish point or assuming that is even achievable no matter how attractive that might seem.
    I think for any Green policy to actually work there has to be a achievable and affordable pathway to that final goal. Each step thought out, costed, and achievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

^^^^

You don’t seem to understand good public transport, this was already explained in detail and your back on the same topic....

The thing is they hate cars but we are heading unavoidably toward electric cars and that nullifies their CO2 complaints and those cars are about the most efficient way for the population outside the big cities to travel around. The country hasn't shrunk in the wash yet so bikes and public transport aren't a runner for those outside the cities.
    They want some sort of reverse Pol Pot policy where everyone is forced to abandon their homes in smaller villages and in the countryside and be resettled where they deem fit(browse posts above, I'm not misrepresenting their intentions)

Electric cars are not the answer....

Public transport is 100% the answer and due to our size it’s perfect

Shefwedfan wrote: »

For spreading Covid 19.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Advertisement

For spreading Covid 19.

https://sbahn.berlin/en/plan-a-journey/timetable-changes/information-about-the-coronavirus-covid-19/

Nearly 4 million people in Berlin....just one example of a city

Not really an excuse isn’t it?

^^^^

You don’t seem to understand good public transport, this was already explained in detail and your back on the same topic....

Good public transport requires volume. The more people using that particular bit of transport the more effective it will be.

If someone can explain to me how you could achieve that in a rural setting then I'm all ears. I am perfectly happy to be proven wrong.

If someone can demonstrate that for an affordable investment, a public transport service service that is affordable to the customer could be run on a not or loss basis in a rural area I would be demanding that we do it.

efanton wrote: »
    Good public transport requires volume. The more people using that particular bit of transport the more effective it will be.

If someone can explain to me how you could achieve that in a rural setting then I'm all ears. I am perfectly happy to be proven wrong.

If someone can demonstrate that for an affordable investment, a public transport service service that is affordable to the customer could be run on a not or loss basis in a rural area I would be demanding that we do it.

Every country in the World has it, if you run a train let say from Dublin to Navan to Cavan as I’m sure we discussed before you open the entire counties of Meath and Cavan to commuter who can travel direct into Dublin. Remove the housing crisis in Dublin and also make housing cheap to build and buy

No idea why we are having the same discussion again, how can anyone argue against it? Most of Ireland problem in this election could be solved by public transport. Even the HSE would benefit from moving staff around the country Easily and safely on trains

efanton wrote: »

Read his previous post, there are nearly 4 million people in Berlin.

LOL.

Next he'll be telling us there are 9 million bicycles in Beijing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

You're the only person in the thread to mention anything like this - nobody proposes that.

People in the thread are talking about the availabilty of funds through near-0% interest government bonds.

Read his previous post, there are nearly 4 million people in Berlin.

LOL.

Next he'll be telling us there are 9 million bicycles in Beijing.

I did hope for once we might get better response from you but anyway we will move on

KyussB wrote: »
    People in the thread are talking about the availabilty of funds through near-0% interest government bonds.
    No, people are tyring to avoid that topic but you just won't drop it. Even if you had a valid point it would become quite tiresome to go through it again and again.

No, you'll find that the population are too dispersed on N and B roads for that to be workable

I did hope for once we might get better response from you but anyway we will move on

Have another read off post 1991 there now for yourself, then read it again before you and the Green Party move on and destroy our nation.

Every country in the World has it, if you run a train let say from Dublin to Navan to Cavan as I’m sure we discussed before you open the entire counties of Meath and Cavan to commuter who can travel direct into Dublin. Remove the housing crisis in Dublin and also make housing cheap to build and buy

No idea why we are having the same discussion again, how can anyone argue against it? Most of Ireland problem in this election could be solved by public transport. Even the HSE would benefit from moving staff around the country Easily and safely on trains

So how do people get to these train stations?

How many people in Navan or Cavan have got rid of their cars?

• Advertisement

Have another read off post 1991 there now for yourself, then read it again before you and the Green Party move on and destroy our nation.

You voted for Healy Raes......

You clearly have no consideration for the nation. What does it matter to you what the rest of us do?

You voted for Healy Raes......

You clearly have no consideration for the nation. What does it matter to you what the rest of us do?

Please Lord, let this man sober up.

He knows not what he do or say.

You're the only person in the thread to mention anything like this - nobody proposes that.

You do realise that 0% interest loan does not mean you get to spend the money and pay nothing back.

I take it you also realise that despite loans being offered at 0% or lower that Ireland has a strictly enforced borrowing limit set by the EU.

Nobody suggested that...

The currently suspended EU SGP rules aren't an impediment. They also require the EU council to make a political decision to enact penalties and/or fines - which would trigger a gigantic EU-wide political shitstorm, because all of France/Germany/Spain/Portugal have been given favourable treatment, in terms of fines/penalties not being imposed on them - so I'd very much welcome that, might actually trigger enough of a shitstorm to lead to reforms at an EU level, if they even dared to try it.

Nobody suggested that...

The currently suspended EU SGP rules aren't an impediment. They also require the EU council to make a political decision to enact penalties and/or fines - which would trigger a gigantic EU-wide political shitstorm, because all of France/Germany/Spain/Portugal have been given favourable treatment, in terms of fines/penalties not being imposed on them - so I'd very much welcome that, might actually trigger enough of a shitstorm to lead to reforms at an EU level, if they even dared to try it.

So you agree that we would have to pay that money back and there are existing borrowing limits. Would that not require an increase in taxation to pay for that? Where is the money going to come from to repay these loans?

You see the Greens have one single problem. They propose schemes or solutions without even costing them or saying how that money could be raised or payed for.

If you could do that you would find far more people supporting you than disagreeing with you.

Name one single policy or scheme that the Greens have proposed that has been fully costed.

No I don't agree there are borrowing limits - they are presently suspended - and even if they weren't, invoking them would create an existential political shitstorm for the EU, due to France/Germany/Spain/Portugal being given favourable treatment - and the SGP never having been enforced before, in light of that.

There is no impediment in the present economic conditions.

You're an austerity advocate, I take it?

Note also - that I am against the current plan for government.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

If you want to maintain Full Output, Full Employment and hit the Inflation Target - then fiscal deficits must always happen, except when dampening down overheating sectors of the economy.

Green policies can not reduce emissions fast enough, without maximizing employment and gearing that towards green policies.

All going well in your green economy what kind of jobs would people be doing? just curious.

Please Lord, let this man sober up.

He knows not what he do or say.

Touched a nerve

Anyone who votes independent clearly has no interest in Ireland or the future of this country

Just voting for the local gobs**t to shake hands at a funeral and fix the road

Touched a nerve

Anyone who votes independent clearly has no interest in Ireland or the future of this country

Just voting for the local gobs**t to shake hands at a funeral and fix the road

Ahh, you're sober?

Go back and read post 1991 again now and try and reply to it without the gibberish you were spouting last night.

• Advertisement

Ahh, you're sober?

Go back and read post 1991 again now and try and reply to it without the gibberish you were spouting last night.

If you can’t follow the thread it’s not my fault

Gibberish is exactly what you talking about

Public transport = covid.... :-)

Advertisement