Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Party wish list.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I don't think the most car dependant nation in the world should be something to strive towards

I really do think youre just jealous of people who own cars, all of your posts are just ‘arghh cars’

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Yes we definitely need a push to repopulate rural Ireland. Congestion in the cities is unhealthy and bad for the environment. Commuter towns have now grown into commuter counties. Re build rural Ireland. Grow the town's and villages.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

everyone seems to want to stop one off houses in the countryside and wants people to live in towns and villages. but there are doing nothing to fix the reasons why people want that. most of the reasons for living in the countryside are because they are not in towns. if they could solve the problem in our towns and villages it would make people want to live there more

solve these issues.

anti social behaviour
    drug use
    light pollution
    drunken bums disturbing the peace
    too much noise
    too close to horrible people
    towns are generally dirty un loved places
    air pollution
    no parking
    amenities for people to chill out and relax in that are looked after

There are massive apartment blocks all over Holland, we have nothing like that here. Germany and Holland are probably the best in the world when it comes to urban planning.

Correct and theres a load of large houses on land in germany and a lot of service provision for cars. Munich is both a drivers dream as a city and has excellent public transport, high rise apartments and loads of parking. Many live in giant one offs in the hinterlands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Not really true is it, I suppose that is the typical answer, try and stick everyone in a box and then gives you a reason to dismiss them

In reality loads of people living in the country side see the benefit of some of the green inititives.

Just some people are afraid of change, the "but sure we always done it like that".

I'll have issues with the Green Party until they come up with proactive, cost effective alternatives rather than penal taxes.

I have no issue with change, change is a part of life, now by all means quote me on things I have said but please don't quote me on things I haven't said.

Would I be right or wrong in saying you live in a town and are at the least a supporter of the Green Party?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I really do think youre just jealous of people who own cars, all of your posts are just ‘arghh cars’

Why would I be jealous, I could buy one if I wanted?
    Societies based around cars are something us Green voters want to move away from, they ruin my city.

Why would I be jealous, I could buy one if I wanted?
    Societies based around cars are something us Green voters want to move away from, they ruin my city.

But you understand that people in rural areas rely on cars right? Just to be clear

Tbh he’s not wrong, if we could decentralise more work and re populate rural ireland it would solve a whole host of problems. Most rural towns issue is the lack of critical mass to sustain businesses providing services, if more people lived in rural communities they would also shop there, easing the burden on congested cities and larger towns. Many people take the ‘all roads lead to dublin’ approach and think we all just need trains and busses to take us from navan to dublin, how about re-populating navan instead...

im a great believer in this. it can solve a lot of issues we face, from environmental issues to mental health, quality of live, create jobs , lower rents, solve the homless situation, etc

Correct and theres a load of large houses on land in germany and a lot of service provision for cars. Munich is both a drivers dream as a city and has excellent public transport, high rise apartments and loads of parking. Many live in giant one offs in the hinterlands.

You might need to go for a drive in NL or Germany again. People must live in towns or villages – no planning for a house in countryside. Spatial planning. Reduce cost of services and improve services: water, electricity, gas, roads, schools, medical, sports grounds, theatre, town council facilities incl driving license passport. Lower Environmental cost etc. Standard in EU a long time.

Blueshoe wrote: »
    But you understand that people in rural areas rely on cars right? Just to be clear

Yes, far too reliant on them because of poor planning

• Advertisement

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Yes we definitely need a push to repopulate rural Ireland. Congestion in the cities is unhealthy and bad for the environment. Commuter towns have now grown into commuter counties. Re build rural Ireland. Grow the town's and villages.

But to grow the town and villages you have to stop one offs being built!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I'll have issues with the Green Party until they come up with proactive, cost effective alternatives rather than penal taxes.

I have no issue with change, change is a part of life, now by all means quote me on things I have said but please don't quote me on things I haven't said.

Would I be right or wrong in saying you live in a town and are at the least a supporter of the Green Party?

You would be wrong, I dont live in a town

I grew up in countryside, then moved around a number of towns ranging in size, then lived in Dublin and now outside.....

I dont specifically support greens but the would be 2/3rd choice. I do support environmental policies and would prefer all parties to give it at least some consideration. The mighty SF forgot all about it and stuck it at the back of its manifesto

im a great believer in this. it can solve a lot of issues we face, from environmental issues to mental health, quality of live, create jobs , lower rents, solve the homless situation, etc

Thats it. If there was enough work for me id love to return to my families home county of sligo, get an acre out near strand hill or similar with an atlantic view, shop in a local town , go for a few down the beach bar etc.. but the enterprise customers I deal with are all dublin based. Id much rather give my money to local businesses in a small town where people have a much greater sense of community than rely on services in a faceless city littered with junkies and being in an estate with a mandatory proportion of perpetually unemployed in free houses.

Thats it. If there was enough work for me id love to return to my families home county of sligo, get an acre out near strand hill or similar with an atlantic view, shop in a local town , go for a few down the beach bar etc.. but the enterprise customers I deal with are all dublin based. Id much rather give my money to local businesses in a small town where people have a much greater sense of community than rely on services in a faceless city littered with junkies and being in an estate with a mandatory proportion of perpetually unemployed in free houses.

You know you really really seem to worry about your money an awful lot, and other people claiming welfare. That's no way to live.

You might need to go for a drive in NL or Germany again. People must live in towns or villages – no planning for a house in countryside. Spatial planning. Reduce cost of services and improve services: water, electricity, gas, roads, schools, medical, sports grounds, theatre, town council facilities incl driving license passport. Lower Environmental cost etc. Standard in EU a long time.

I think you think one off houses are all off 10 miles away from any other house nowhere near a village when in reality most dot the road into a town or are 1-2km out from a village , which is absolutely done in germany. I know because ive booked such places on airbnb and have friends living in similar.

everyone seems to want to stop one off houses in the countryside and wants people to live in towns and villages. but there are doing nothing to fix the reasons why people want that. most of the reasons for living in the countryside are because they are not in towns. if they could solve the problem in our towns and villages it would make people want to live there more

solve these issues.

anti social behaviour
    drug use
    light pollution
    drunken bums disturbing the peace
    too much noise
    too close to horrible people
    towns are generally dirty un loved places
    air pollution
    no parking
    amenities for people to chill out and relax in that are looked after

A good few of the points you raise are to do with poor parenting. You will find local towns are full of little s**t from kids outside the town who have no idea where little Mary/Jonnie is, while they are in ruining the village for the people that live in it

Some of the rest of the stuff in reality are just made up, you can live 5 miles from a horrible person but they can still making it a living nightmare for you in Ireland.....plenty of stories

They are not valid reasons to be honest, most are made up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭combat14

the country is up to our eyes in debt 205 billion plus another 20-30 billion for this crisis ... there will be so many taxes to pay this all back.. cant believe the greens will be in government.. never forget all the taxes they introduced last time 🙄

combat14 wrote: »
    the country is up to our eyes in debt 205 billion plus another 20-30 billion for this crisis ... there will be so many taxes to pay this all back.. cant believe the greens will be in government.. never forget all the taxes they introduced last time 🙄

Nothing stirs the soul like collective hatred of government. With a FF/Fg/green government there is something there for everyone to complain about

A good few of the points you raise are to do with poor parenting. You will find local towns are full of little s**t from kids outside the town who have no idea where little Mary/Jonnie is, while they are in ruining the village for the people that live in it

Some of the rest of the stuff in reality are just made up, you can live 5 miles from a horrible person but they can still making it a living nightmare for you in Ireland.....plenty of stories

They are not valid reasons to be honest, most are made up

I live near a village. I see these issues everyday I drive through there . can you elaborate on why you think they are made up.

these are the reason I will never live in a village or town.

of course the problems can come out to me but they are a lot less likely

I live near a village. I see these issues everyday I drive through there . can you elaborate on why you think they are made up.

these are the reason I will never live in a village or town.

of course the problems can come out to me but they are a lot less likely

What village is this?

• Advertisement

People complain Irish villages are dying, they are dying because of one-off houses. The one-off houses are a bad development because usualy they are unGodly thing, far too big for the people living in them and fairly useless to anyone once they people move on. Give it 50 years and how many houses will be dotted around Ireland abandoned because old Joe/Sue have passed on and nobody had any interest anymore in a 400sq ft house that you cant heat and looks like something out of a bling magazine

Standard practise in area is, Joe gets planning and say right I will build a 3000 sqft house, mansion, that will show the neighbours. Before it is even built 2 miles down the road John gets planning, I will show Joe I will build a 3500 sq ft house. And so it goes on. I actually had a person sit beside me once and go, pointing at a monstrosity saying "oh they told everyone that was 5500 sq ft so it was bigger than out, but I went in and got the plans and it is only 5400 sq ft"

Thats one off building.

Building houses in towns means in future those houses can be reused, not abandoned.

What village is this?

I live in the thurles area of tipperary

I live in the thurles area of tipperary

Oh right well, if you look on the thread about worst places in Ireland, towns in Tipp seem to feature highly, so I understand your plight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

You would be wrong, I dont live in a town

I grew up in countryside, then moved around a number of towns ranging in size, then lived in Dublin and now outside.....

I dont specifically support greens but the would be 2/3rd choice. I do support environmental policies and would prefer all parties to give it at least some consideration. The mighty SF forgot all about it and stuck it at the back of its manifesto

Well that's fair enough, presumably you prefer towns to the country and that's your call.

My point is if people want to live in the country then that should remain an option, be it buy, build or renovate. Now surely measures and long term plans could be put in place to ensure that these don't become a major problem in future.

I don't like the idea of outright banning them, I think that's too extreme.

As for environmentally friendly policies, I understand we have to move towards a more sustainable society and everybody has a part to play in that.

But again, I think we need to take a more proactive approach and assist people in learning how to adapt their businesses rather than dumping penal taxes on them with little regard for their livelihoods.

Again it's very telling to see in the Green's 17 demands that they didn't make a single mention of the agricultural sector. This is very worrying for many in rural Ireland and understandably so.

Oh right well, if you look on the thread about worst places in Ireland, towns in Tipp seem to feature highly, so I understand your plight

sadly my opinion on towns and villages is fairly accurate. it doesn't aply to all of them but does to most. if we could sort out these issues then we could start getting peole to move to or at least stay in these places

]
    My point is if people want to live in the country then that should remain an option, be it buy, build or renovate. Now surely measures and long term plans could be put in place to ensure that these don't become a major problem in future.

So would you be in favour of people in Dublin being able to buy and build all over Ireland? Or just people who were born locally?

sadly my opinion on towns and villages is fairly accurate. it doesn't aply to all of them but does to most. if we could sort out these issues then we could start getting peole to move to or at least stay in these places

It's a bit chicken and egg, they're sh*tholes because people with money probably don't live in them

It's a bit chicken and egg, they're sh*tholes because people with money probably don't live in them

its the other way round. people (not just with money) wont live there because they are sh1tholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

As the century moves on the Green Party will be a major influence on policy here. Even if not in power changes will force their agenda as damage to our world becomes more apparent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

People complain Irish villages are dying, they are dying because of one-off houses. The one-off houses are a bad development because usualy they are unGodly thing, far too big for the people living in them and fairly useless to anyone once they people move on. Give it 50 years and how many houses will be dotted around Ireland abandoned because old Joe/Sue have passed on and nobody had any interest anymore in a 400sq ft house that you cant heat and looks like something out of a bling magazine

Standard practise in area is, Joe gets planning and say right I will build a 3000 sqft house, mansion, that will show the neighbours. Before it is even built 2 miles down the road John gets planning, I will show Joe I will build a 3500 sq ft house. And so it goes on. I actually had a person sit beside me once and go, pointing at a monstrosity saying "oh they told everyone that was 5500 sq ft so it was bigger than out, but I went in and got the plans and it is only 5400 sq ft"

Thats one off building.

Building houses in towns means in future those houses can be reused, not abandoned.

Irish Villages are dying because the work is elsewhere and people are leaving them.
    And for those people who studied in cities, who really wants to go back to some rural backwater where everything shuts at 6pm and there are more chinese takeaways than decent restaurants ?

Advertisement