Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Party wish list.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    People complain Irish villages are dying, they are dying because of one-off houses. The one-off houses are a bad development because usualy they are unGodly thing, far too big for the people living in them and fairly useless to anyone once they people move on. Give it 50 years and how many houses will be dotted around Ireland abandoned because old Joe/Sue have passed on and nobody had any interest anymore in a 400sq ft house that you cant heat and looks like something out of a bling magazine

Well that's just flat out rubbish, if they're dying, they're because cities like Dublin are growing!
    Standard practise in area is, Joe gets planning and say right I will build a 3000 sqft house, mansion, that will show the neighbours. Before it is even built 2 miles down the road John gets planning, I will show Joe I will build a 3500 sq ft house. And so it goes on. I actually had a person sit beside me once and go, pointing at a monstrosity saying "oh they told everyone that was 5500 sq ft so it was bigger than out, but I went in and got the plans and it is only 5400 sq ft"

Thats one off building.

Building houses in towns means in future those houses can be reused, not abandoned.

Standard practise??? haha you're telling me you've lived out in the country??? Either you're bullshítting or you absolutely hated every moment of it!

Ps, just for what it's worth I done a survey on a house in Dublin 6 years ago where someone built a massive house on a main street where the eaves actually overhung the neighbours house.

You see these people exist everywhere (not just the countryside) but at least if someone builds a big house out in the country they're not likely to physically build over their neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Well that's just flat out rubbish, if they're dying, they're because cities like Dublin are growing!

How many houses are been build as one off's, in middle of nowhere and then people require 2 cars to do anything? stick all these people into local towns and see how they grow. As I mention below, take Virginia, town is dying but the roads in and around it are full of one off mansions!!!

Standard practise??? haha you're telling me you've lived out in the country??? Either you're bullshítting or you absolutely hated every moment of it!

One area I noticed, travel from Virginia to Cavan town.....just watch all the houses you can see off N3. This is just one instances that springs to mind as I travelled that direction recently, plenty other. Each house is bigger to the next.....

Yes I live in country and love it. Why would I hate it? strange comment

Not in a town either...but in a neighbourhood :-) confused yet

Ps, just for what it's worth I done a survey on a house in Dublin 6 years ago where someone built a massive house on a main street where the eaves actually overhung the neighbours house.

You see these people exist everywhere (not just the countryside) but at least if someone builds a big house out in the country they're not likely to physically build over their neighbours.

That was a planning issue. not sure what relevance is

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Going through Cavan about 15 years ago I remember lots of bumpy hills with enormous mansions on them, it was like something from the Dallas opening scene, I would imagine it's even worse now. No regard for decent architecture!
    This is quite funny

https://mcmansionhell.com/post/157457285986/mcmansion-hell-ireland-edition

How many houses are been build as one off's, in middle of nowhere and then people require 2 cars to do anything? stick all these people into local towns and see how they grow. As I mention below, take Virginia, town is dying but the roads in and around it are full of one off mansions!!!

You said: "People complain Irish villages are dying, they are dying because of one-off houses."

Now for start I didn't mention anything about towns dying you did, but if some are dying then I would say the factors are multifaceted, not simply due to people building one off houses.

Also I'd say the growth of Dublin and surrounding towns plays a significant role in harming some smaller rural towns that are further away, would you not agree?
    One area I noticed, travel from Virginia to Cavan town.....just watch all the houses you can see off N3. This is just one instances that springs to mind as I travelled that direction recently, plenty other. Each house is bigger to the next....

Yes I live in country and love it. Why would I hate it? strange comment

Not in a town either...but in a neighbourhood :-) confused yet

You seem to have a big issue with big houses, is this something which personally offends you?

Again I don't have nor want a big house, that's an individual choice.
    That was a planning issue. not sure what relevance is

Again you made reference to people in the country who as "standard practise"...."build a 3000 sqft house, mansion, that will show the neighbours." To me this shows you up somewhat as somebody who is not too fond of rural dwellers. You assume this attitude is the standard and then try to say you love living in the country, haha chancer ;)

I gave one example of where somebody in a town built the biggest possible house they could on a site which ended up causing legal trouble. These people exist everywhere unfortunately, not just the countryside, would you agree?

You said: "People complain Irish villages are dying, they are dying because of one-off houses."

Now for start I didn't mention anything about towns dying you did, but if some are dying then I would say the factors are multifaceted, not simply due to people building one off houses.

I was replying to a poster if I remember correcxtly which had a list of reasons why town where dying, all of which where bulls**t

Also I'd say the growth of Dublin and surrounding towns plays a significant role in harming some smaller rural towns that are further away, would you not agree?

Depends, if you ran a train from Dublin to Navan to Cavan, stopping at towns you would see how they would blossom
    You seem to have a big issue with big houses, is this something which personally offends you?

Again I don't have nor want a big house, that's an individual choice.

No, some would say my house is big, just over 3,000 sq ft

Again you made reference to people in the country who as "standard practise"...."build a 3000 sqft house, mansion, that will show the neighbours." To me this shows you up somewhat as somebody who is not too fond of rural dwellers. You assume this attitude is the standard and then try to say you love living in the country, haha chancer ;)

I gave one example of where somebody in a town built the biggest possible house they could on a site which ended up causing legal trouble. These people exist everywhere unfortunately, not just the countryside, would you agree?

You keep saying I dont like rural people, as I have already confirmed I grew up rurul, moved around, ended up in Dublin and then moved out rural when I got a chance. I love living rural.

All my family live in rural setting and I love the people in my area. I see can see its a pointless exercise moving forward to have one off houses. Not sure why you are so confused by this?

Again not sure why you are bringing planning issues into this....yes planning problems happen all over Ireland if that is what you want to hear. Did I ever say it didnt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I was replying to a poster if I remember correcxtly which had a list of reasons why town where dying, all of which where bulls**t

firtly that's a list of why people don't want to live in towns and vilages not why they are dying. there are lots of other reasons why they are dying. rate too high in the centers, large shops on the outskirts, poorly managed etc etc.

you still havnt said why you think any of them are bull sh1t ,

Depends, if you ran a train from Dublin to Navan to Cavan, stopping at towns you would see how they would blossom

Be handy if there was a train from Dublin to Navan nevermind Cavan, also the train lines are already running at near full capacity so there's that to consider. Anyway towns in Meath are doing quite well without a train line as it is, they certainly ain't dying!

Do you not think the growth of larger towns and cities are effecting smaller towns or is it just the one off houses you think are causing the problem?

No, some would say my house is big, just over 3,000 sq ft

You keep saying I dont like rural people, as I have already confirmed I grew up rurul, moved around, ended up in Dublin and then moved out rural when I got a chance. I love living rural.

All my family live in rural setting and I love the people in my area. I see can see its a pointless exercise moving forward to have one off houses. Not sure why you are so confused by this?

Again not sure why you are bringing planning issues into this....yes planning problems happen all over Ireland if that is what you want to hear. Did I ever say it didnt?

So what anybody who already lives out in the countryside is ok but no more houses are allowed under any circumstances. I mean you said "One off housing should and hopefully will be totally banned going forward" so you're obviously not a fan of people having the option to build.

Would you stand by that zero tolerance policy or do you think some one off houses should be permitted if even under limited circumstances?

Also I find it hard to believe you're fond of rural people when you say things like:

"most people that build one off houses are idiot"

&

"Standard practise in area is, Joe gets planning and say right I will build a 3000 sqft house, mansion, that will show the neighbours. Before it is even built 2 miles down the road John gets planning, I will show Joe I will build a 3500 sq ft house. And so it goes on."

I mean to be fair that is quite a petulant image you're trying to paint of people who build rural houses, no question about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Going through Cavan about 15 years ago I remember lots of bumpy hills with enormous mansions on them, it was like something from the Dallas opening scene, I would imagine it's even worse now. No regard for decent architecture!
    This is quite funny

https://mcmansionhell.com/post/157457285986/mcmansion-hell-ireland-edition

tumblr_inline_oln723DlQS1sppt0x_640.png

tumblr_inline_oln7rgeibD1sppt0x_1280.png

I think those two actually look quite good. I do get a great chuckle out of that website but there are a lot of stunning looking one offs around the country.

So what anybody who already lives out in the countryside is ok but no more houses are allowed under any circumstances. I mean you said "One off housing should and hopefully will be totally banned going forward" so you're obviously not a fan of people having the option to build.

Would you stand by that zero tolerance policy or do you think some one off houses should be permitted if even under limited circumstances?

Also I find it hard to believe you're fond of rural people when you say things like:

"most people that build one off houses are idiot"

&

"Standard practise in area is, Joe gets planning and say right I will build a 3000 sqft house, mansion, that will show the neighbours. Before it is even built 2 miles down the road John gets planning, I will show Joe I will build a 3500 sq ft house. And so it goes on."

I mean to be fair that is quite a petulant image you're trying to paint of people who build rural houses, no question about it.

Your trying to put words in my mouth now....

Going forward one off housing should be banned. I think someone mentioned a 24 hour farm was a requirement in France so similar, but if any houses already on land going should be upgraded first

I didn’t say anyone already living in countryside is ok? Did I?

I stand by the idiots statement, the post above explains why! Pig ugly houses too big just to beat the Jones down the road... people going into architects with no idea what they want onky they want it at xxxxsq ft....

Just look at some of the renovation jobs done around the country on old let house, the lads in Cavan that got close to winning the home of the year was a lovely job, it was my pick(sorry not obsessed not Cavan)

Your making assumptions about me because your just obsessed with new builds....I never said one off houses that have been restored is an issues

Devil in the detail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I was watching the news there and the news reported that Eamon Ryan or the green party would like a 7% yearly reduction in emissions and the parties must agree to that before they will enter talks with fg/ff to enter government. If was something like that anyways.

Surely talks would hammer out the finer details of the government and portfolios. Eamon is pushing his hand and forcing something that will be very hard to achieve. I hope the green party won't be included in the next government.

• Advertisement

owlbethere wrote: »
    I was watching the news there and the news reported that Eamon Ryan or the green party would like a 7% yearly reduction in emissions and the parties must agree to that before they will enter talks with fg/ff to enter government. If was something like that anyways.

Surely talks would hammer out the finer details of the government and portfolios. Eamon is pushing his hand and forcing something that will be very hard to achieve. I hope the green party won't be included in the next government.

Is it hard to achieve? I dont know

I would like to see what the proposal is before it was dismissed. For all we know it is relatively easy.

I dont see how any party could sign up to 7% without the Green party having a plan on how to achieve. We will end up spending millions on fines so I had always thought it would be better, the millions we will spend next year on fines, invest this year into green program. The fines are dead money

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Surely talks would hammer out the finer details of the government and portfolios. Eamon is pushing his hand and forcing something that will be very hard to achieve.

He kind of has them over a barrel though, very hard to form an enduring government without the Greens at this point

He kind of has them over a barrel though, very hard to form an enduring government without the Greens at this point

He does and he doesnt

Yes they need him to form a government but what would the blow back be if the government is not created? the green would have the finger quickly pointed at them and any good favour they had will disappear.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

He doesn’t have anything - just nonsense as usual. Hopefully the greens are told where to stick their demands and we get a government without those imbeciles as a part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

. It affects me personally because there's constant gridlock in Dublin and little room for pedestrians and cyclists in many parts.

Ah right, here’s me thinking it was about your concerns about the climate. So it’s basically because it’s an inconvenience to you?

Your trying to put words in my mouth now....

By quoting you directly??

Ps, that's a bit rich in fairness, you misquoted me earlier and then refused to acknowledge it when pulled on the issue!
    Going forward one off housing should be banned. I think someone mentioned a 24 hour farm was a requirement in France so similar, but if any houses already on land going should be upgraded first

Why ban them outright, what's the issue?
    I didn’t say anyone already living in countryside is ok? Did I?

So they're not ok?? ;-)

Anyway I didn't "quote" you on that, I'm trying to understand why you love the country but don't want any new one off houses in it.

Also I'd still love to know how one off houses are causing towns to die?
    I stand by the idiots statement, the post above explains why! Pig ugly houses too big just to beat the Jones down the road... people going into architects with no idea what they want onky they want it at xxxxsq ft....

Just look at some of the renovation jobs done around the country on old let house, the lads in Cavan that got close to winning the home of the year was a lovely job, it was my pick(sorry not obsessed not Cavan)

All jokes aside, it's unfortunate to see you stand by such a flippant remark. To brand so many people as idiots is pretty arrogant, I wonder how these idiots managed to earn the money to build these big houses in the first place.
    making assumptions about me because your just obsessed with new builds....I never said one off houses that have been restored is an issues

Devil in the detail

I think it's important that people have choice.

Ps, do you not think the growth of larger towns and cities are effecting smaller towns or is it just the one off houses you think are causing the problem?

Watching the news there. I heard it right. The greens want a 7% reduction in greenhouse emissions or whatever the term is. They want it as a precondition to enter talks.

Its alarming from the greens for sure. Its controlling behaviour and that's before they are even in government.

Entering talks would hammer and iron out details.

I don't know what the greens plans are on how to achieve the 7% reduction.

Watching the news there. I heard it right. The greens want a 7% reduction in greenhouse emissions or whatever the term is. They want it as a precondition to enter talks.

Its alarming from the greens for sure. Its controlling behaviour and that's before they are even in government.

Entering talks would hammer and iron out details.

I don't know what the greens plans are on how to achieve the 7% reduction.

Think I read somewhere that with the worldwide travel restrictions etc we are only reduced by 5%, so imagine this lockdown and then some more on top of it - that’s what these cretins are asking for and they should be laughed out of the ****ing building.

By quoting you directly??

Ps, that's a bit rich in fairness, you misquoted me earlier and then refused to acknowledge it when pulled on the issue!

Why ban them outright, what's the issue?

So they're not ok?? ;-)

Anyway I didn't "quote" you on that, I'm trying to understand why you love the country but don't want any new one off houses in it.

Also I'd still love to know how one off houses are causing towns to die?

All jokes aside, it's unfortunate to see you stand by such a flippant remark. To brand so many people as idiots is pretty arrogant, I wonder how these idiots managed to earn the money to build these big houses in the first place.

I think it's important that people have choice.

Ps, do you not think the growth of larger towns and cities are effecting smaller towns or is it just the one off houses you think are causing the problem?

Your going in one direction and another trying to get to I am not sure where.

I didn't mention anything about these people been able to afford or not afford to build the house. I have given an example which you ignored, someone else even posted a link to a website.

Yes I love the countryside, I love the animal etc, hence why building stupid big houses for no reason other than to try and better the neighbours is ruining it.

Again I go back to my point, drive from Virginia to Cavan, look at all the one off houses. Now move all those people into either Cavan or Virginia and see how it would help regenerate those town/villages.

I am sure I would have more examples, I drive all around Ireland, that one is just fresh in mind as it was my last trip before lockdown.

I think I have upset you, not sure why. Its an opinion. Maybe your trying to build a house now and you think I have insulted you, if so Im sorry. Still doesn't mean I agree one off houses are a good idea.....

Blaze420 wrote: »
    Think I read somewhere that with the worldwide travel restrictions etc we are only reduced by 5%, so imagine this lockdown and then some more on top of it - that’s what these cretins are asking for and they should be laughed out of the ****ing building.

I was watching the news during the week and I vaguely remember this what you say. This lockdown with the restrictions in movements has brought about a reduction but its only a small %.

I know we are going to be in a for a tough time going forward but we will be utterly fcuked if the greens get into government and forcing this too before they even enter talks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I was watching the news during the week and I vaguely remember this what you say. This lockdown with the restrictions in movements has brought about a reduction but its only a small %.

I know we are going to be in a for a tough time going forward but we will be utterly fcuked if the greens get into government and forcing this too before they even enter talks.

I know that people need to live, socialise etc, but, this pandemic and the unpreparedness has shown us that the scientists need to be listened to.

We need action on the climate.
    It's not complicated.

That’s exactly why they should be told where to stick their demands list and told to toddle off back to obscurity. We have much more important things to do in the next few years once the CV19 crisis is over without allowing these ****ing flutes an opening to impose even more hardship on people under the guise of climate.

China was 18% lower, Europe was 9%

As transport is responisble for 40% of CO2. What the 5% you heard was, if you take the total Co2 released in Ireland in 2018, because of the reduction in traffic this would reduce the total CO2 output for Ireland for 2018 by 5%....this is just cars, not taking into consideration electricity etc from the shut down of offices etc.....

So an overall reduction in 9% might be what is achieved just by reducing traffic for a few weeks. Seems fairly impressive to me....

That’s exactly why they should be told where to stick their demands list and told to toddle off back to obscurity. We have much more important things to do in the next few years once the CV19 crisis is over without allowing these ****ing flutes an opening to impose even more hardship on people under the guise of climate.

This statement just beggars belief, if anything this crisis has been a warning shot that the much vaulted economy is only a bit player when it comes to the security of the human race.

Scientists and informed people were warning about such a scenario as this for years and the captains of industry said that nothing would interrupt industry or commerce. They were wrong.

This statement just beggars belief, if anything this crisis has been a warning shot that the much vaulted economy is only a bit player when it comes to the security of the human race.

Scientists and informed people were warning about such a scenario as this for years and the captains of industry said that nothing would interrupt industry or commerce. They were wrong.

Climate action isn’t going to prevent things like this happening, idiotic way of thinking. I’d be much more concerned about the potential of something like this to wipe out human life than the ramblings of people who watched stuff like The Day After Tomorrow one too many times.

In the real world, we have serious economic issues to overcome in the next few years. Hugging trees or saving the planet isn’t going to be one of them. Climate activists will of course be allowed to keep on shouting and screaming about it but nobody will be listening, at least for the next 2-4 years.

Your going in one direction and another trying to get to I am not sure where.

I didn't mention anything about these people been able to afford or not afford to build the house. I have given an example which you ignored, someone else even posted a link to a website.

Yes I love the countryside, I love the animal etc, hence why building stupid big houses for no reason other than to try and better the neighbours is ruining it.

Again I go back to my point, drive from Virginia to Cavan, look at all the one off houses. Now move all those people into either Cavan or Virginia and see how it would help regenerate those town/villages.

I am sure I would have more examples, I drive all around Ireland, that one is just fresh in mind as it was my last trip before lockdown.

I think I have upset you, not sure why. Its an opinion. Maybe your trying to build a house now and you think I have insulted you, if so Im sorry. Still doesn't mean I agree one off houses are a good idea.....

You mentioned that people who build one off houses are mostly idiots, now given that I am for one off houses (in a planned manner, not Laissez-faire) and you are completely against them I think it's fair to ask you to address such a blanket statement.

Do you not think it's unfair to brand these people idiots? Personally I do, perhaps you feel differently.

I'm not upset myself, having quite a casual sunday actually, but it is an interesting debate and I don't want to see a blanket ban on one off houses.

Perhaps you've forgotten but I already live in a house out in the country so I won't be directly effected by a future ban.

Interesting that you continually ignore the question about the growth of larger towns and cities effecting smaller rural towns. But look if you're uncomfortable with that question, I'll leave it there.

Climate action isn’t going to prevent things like this happening, idiotic way of thinking. I’d be much more concerned about the potential of something like this to wipe out human life than the ramblings of people who watched stuff like The Day After Tomorrow one too many times.

In the real world, we have serious economic issues to overcome in the next few years. Hugging trees or saving the planet isn’t going to be one of them. Climate activists will of course be allowed to keep on shouting and screaming about it but nobody will be listening, at least for the next 2-4 years.

Listen to the scientists. This episode has enforced that message in bright lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

It beggars belief why you keep comparing Covid-19 to climate change in your various posts. Coved is nothing to do with climate change and it’s a far more serious emergency acutely than climate change ever will be. Did you see how many deaths in the USA, Italy, Spain?

As for your 7% reduction in emissions I get the impression you’d be happy to see people kept in lockdown.

Listen to the scientists. This episode has enforced that message in bright lights.

I love Neil Degrasse Tyson and I believe science is the way forward.

As for this episode, who knows what caused this or what the solution is, only time will tell.....and that's if we're even told the truth!!

• Advertisement

You mentioned that people who build one off houses are mostly idiots, now given that I am for one off houses (in a planned manner, not Laissez-faire) and you are completely against them I think it's fair to ask you to address such a blanket statement.

Do you not think it's unfair to brand these people idiots? Personally I do, perhaps you feel differently.

I'm not upset myself, having quite a casual sunday actually, but it is an interesting debate and I don't want to see a blanket ban on one off houses.

Perhaps you've forgotten but I already live in a house out in the country so I won't be directly effected by a future ban.

Interesting that you continually ignore the question about the growth of larger towns and cities effecting smaller rural towns. But look if you're uncomfortable with that question, I'll leave it there.

Sorry the last question, I havent ignored, as I said if you build one off houses this affects local villages/towns.

Cities are growing, not sure why we are complaining because in reality Dublin is tiny compared to other major cities. I think I already mentioned public transport linking these villages/town would help, plus stopping then one off houses. That will help.

Other issue I see is government, take Kerry for instance. Just an example, they continue to vote in the Healy Rae crowd. They have zero interest in trying to get companies to move to Kerry. I asked on a thread here and best they came up with was Fexco, which has nothing to do with Healy Rae. I do think this "politicians" do have questions to answer why companies are not moving outside of Dublin/Cork etc. THey will never answer as they get voted in year after year. I asked the questions of supporters here and they got the hump....

If people are so interested in living in a one off house, why not buy some of the old ones and renovate them? so the house has a bit of character?

You accuse me of ignoring questions but you have yet to answer any of mine :P

Advertisement