Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Distance from nearest neighbour with FttH

• 23-04-2020 3:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭

Was on the phone to Eirs customer service team who said that I can get a Fiber connection directly to my home despite it showing on the fiber rollout map that I am 260 meters to the nearest home with a FttH connection.

I rang the loyalty department after the member of customer service told me I could get a better rate. The operator from the loyalty team said that he wasn't sure about the connection and would have to send out an engineer to check on everything. I am just outside Galway city near Carnmore if that helps,

Just wondering does anyone have any experience with this situation? Desperate to get Fiber to the home as my connection to the cabinet (1.7km) is absolutely horrible lately with constant drops and speeds <2MB before 6pm.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Can’t offer any advice sorry but am in the same situation, 4 homes around us have FTTH available but we are just off the footprint, we are about 200m away from the nearest house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Can’t offer any advice sorry but am in the same situation, 4 homes around us have FTTH available but we are just off the footprint, we are about 200m away from the nearest house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Simply Red wrote: »

wE ARE ONLY 60 meters from two fibre enabled houses, one of which has been empty for a decade now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Been researching this for a while now. Doesn't matter if you're 5 meters away, if your house isn't "lit up" on the fibre rollout map, you won't be getting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Thanks for the replies everyone. Really disappointed in Eir for getting my hopes up even after I mentioned to them that I was not on the rollout map but not much I can do about it. Stuck with my absolutely useless FttC connection for another 2-3 years!

• Advertisement

In the same situation. Moving to an area with no internet connectivity in the next month or so. If work from home orders are not lifted I will not be able to work and risk my job. Just need 10mbps (and a decent data cap) but seems to be too much to ask for in Ireland 2020, crazy.

The worst part of all of this is I can see that the distance between other DPs on poles on the road are longer than the distance that would be required to get to my house!!

All of the infrastructure is here, all that's needed is some cable between the poles already on the road! I read the OpenEIR guidelines and everything is in the right place for fiber. Infuriating that it can't just get done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

Similarly frustrated. House next door (10m away) is enabled for FTTH but has no intention of using it, nearest DP is 100m away from our house. Nobody using fibre all the way up the adjacent connected street but our non connected street has a load of young families who almost certainly would use it. On upside, NBI were out surveying in the last few days so hoping something may improve in the next year or so.

From my research the two issues are distance (from a fibre cabinet I think) and number of connections in each. I have read that the distance from the cabinet for Fibre can only be 2km. Though not sure how accurate this is because the distance between the nearest cabinet and the closest house to us with Fibre is 3.8km. Then the number of connections or ports is finite (I think per cabinet) so even if the house next to you is not using it they are mapped as being connected, if they decided in future to get connected and the port was given to someone a few metres away not on the list then Eir would be in legal trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭XDA

If you're on good terms with your neighbour and he's within line of site then what about a point-to-point wifi link between the two houses and you can pay half his bill ??

Two ubiquiti 5ghz devices should be less than 200 euro all in.

XDA

• Advertisement

Unfortunately I don't know my neighbour that well as they are not originally from the area and calling down to them is out of the question during the lockdown.

I have tried to contact Eir multiple times today so I can get an approximate time for their engineer to call out but their customer service is down again!

Internet has fallen apart all day again today. It's driving me to the point of trying to find out if I can pay for running the 280m of fiber cable from the DP to my own house and the connection? Does anyone know of a private operator that does this? Might make OpenEirs job easier since they seem to be the big pain in the ass to deal with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭dam099

TheSegal wrote: »
    It's driving me to the point of trying to find out if I can pay for running the 280m of fiber cable from the DP to my own house and the connection? Does anyone know of a private operator that does this? Might make OpenEirs job easier since they seem to be the big pain in the ass to deal with

OpenEir wont even entertain that.

dam099 wrote: »
    OpenEir wont even entertain that.

That's what I was afraid of. Don't understand why they are so difficult to get anything out of, I'm trying my hardest to pay them for a job!

They have a map of people they want as FTTH customers. If you're not on that map they don't want you as a customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭higster

Has anyone asked re running own cable? Would be up for doing it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Been researching this for a while now. Doesn't matter if you're 5 meters away, if your house isn't "lit up" on the fibre rollout map, you won't be getting it.
    Not exactly true. My home was a new build and I wasn't on the rollout map. Hadn't even an Eircode. I first had to get ordinance survey Ireland out to map it. Then get an Eircode. I then contacted Eir and explained the situation. I sent them a screenshot of the homes beside me and highlighted where mine was. I was also the only house in the townland who wasn't on it( I made a big point of this) Anyway I was added to the rollout map and got my FTTH.

The email I was using to contact them no longer seems to be active, it was.
    fibrepower@openeir.ie

This was the reply I received back then.
    On 14/08/2018 16:18, zFTTHqueries wrote:
    Hi xxxxxxx,

Thank you for the extra information.

I will endeavour to have your eircode linked to the fibre box.

Kind Regards.

John.

That was when they were identifying where to roll out though, right? For an area that is now connected and mapped out, if someone builds a house down the road they won't be connected.

Engineers from Eir called out yesterday to fix the line in my house and said that I just got unlucky with the distance and can't be connected which is disappointing. They said the Fiber to the Cabinet connection I have should not have been offered to me as I'm 1.85km away but they couldn't do anything.

Hoping that I'll be one of the first connected in the NBP rollout in Galway since the engineers are currently surveying Claregalway and I'm part of the only stretch of road that doesn't have FttH in the Claregalway area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

That was when they were identifying where to roll out though, right? For an area that is now connected and mapped out, if someone builds a house down the road they won't be connected.

I don't think that's the case.

What happens with new builds in your FTTH rollout area?

When the building / eircode is newly issued, there is a time lag between the eircode being supplied to the customer and included in the quarterly updates provided to us. Only when all the data is available to us, can it be included in our systems. The time lag can between an eircode being supplied to a customer and then to open eir can be up to 6 months. It’s an issue we are working on with our third party eircode supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 JuXo

Doesnt matter how far are you from DP as long its not more than 500 meters because cable we are using for install is 500 meters
    I failed lot of jobs because of problems with Eircode, also dont use neighbour eircode because we cant do install
    For some reason they refuse to put some people in system
    Also all these DPs have 4, 8 or 12 positions, rural its 4 most of time so there is plenty of them
    Even if your run cable on your own thats not gonna work because we need to do activation through Eir system

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭A+-Guru

sorry to hear that news :(

are you covered by Lightnet? they are bringing the Dept of communication to high court because they deemed their service offering not up to the job and told Lightnet that they would have to have competition, Lightnet are trying to get the NGP barred from areas they cover with there WISP service.. which is kinda wrong in my opinion, we are all entitled to the same service, sadly their WISP cannot match FTTH in any way shape or form. its not really right what they are trying to do, i feel sorry for the people in "their" coverage area as if they are successful the NGP will not be rolled out in these areas and they will be stuck with Lightnet WISP for a long time..

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/broadband-firm-challenges-decision-over-next-generation-standards-1.4176690

TheSegal wrote: »
    Engineers from Eir called out yesterday to fix the line in my house and said that I just got unlucky with the distance and can't be connected which is disappointing. They said the Fiber to the Cabinet connection I have should not have been offered to me as I'm 1.85km away but they couldn't do anything.

Hoping that I'll be one of the first connected in the NBP rollout in Galway since the engineers are currently surveying Claregalway and I'm part of the only stretch of road that doesn't have FttH in the Claregalway area.

A+-Guru wrote: »
    sorry to hear that news :(

are you covered by Lightnet? they are bringing the Dept of communication to high court because they deemed their service offering not up to the job and told Lightnet that they would have to have competition, Lightnet are trying to get the NGP barred from areas they cover with there WISP service.. which is kinda wrong in my opinion, we are all entitled to the same service, sadly their WISP cannot match FTTH in any way shape or form. its not really right what they are trying to do, i feel sorry for the people in "their" coverage area as if they are successful the NGP will not be rolled out in these areas and they will be stuck with Lightnet WISP for a long time..

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/broadband-firm-challenges-decision-over-next-generation-standards-1.4176690

I just messaged LightNet to find out if I am in their area. Complete joke if they are allowed to hold up deployment of fiber, their product isn't as good so it simply can't compete and so they should innovate. Their owner Des Chambers was one of my favorite lecturers in college who always told us to be innovative with solutions, glad to see he's following his own advice now...

Got a call from a lightnet rep, they can offer me wireless broadband with speeds of 15-30mb but it's an 18 month contract. If it was a 12 month contract I would have considered taking it but don't want to be stuck with some wireless service that's a fraction of the speed of fiber when it arrives in hopefully March of next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

It's quite simple with OpenEIRs fibre rollout:

each spur has 31 premises and can span a maximum of 20km and this comes from the exchange. The cabinets have nothing to do with it. They also had a set budget for their rollout. They said themselves, they could have covered more, if they had the budget, but they didn't have that.

Mind you: this is a private company. They have not been state owned for over 20 years. There is NOTHING that can make them do a rollout, if they can not see that they'll get return of investment.

IF you are within the rollout, so houses directly either side of you have it.. mainly because your house was newly build .. AND there is capacity (as in free ports), then you will be added to the rollout. It can sometimes take a creative provider to make it happen, but it can be done.

If you are within the rollout, not listed and your house is more than 150m from the main road, then you won't get connected. All those houses were left out to ensure, that the length of the fibre cables didn't exceed their specifications.

If you are PAST the rollout, so past the last house on a road that is listed for FTTH, then it doesn't matter if that is 10, 20, 30 or 200m. You will have to wait for the NBP. They will not nor have the capacity to connect you.

/M

Advertisement