Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

has covid 19 been blown out of all proportion?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭storker

Children do not seem to really get hit by this thing but the schools are closed to stop the spread and protect the elderly?

Dear oh dear...because kids, although they (generally) don't suffer as badly, would be just as effective at spreading it as anyone else. They don't live in the school, you know, they go home - to where there are non-kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

If a quarter of stories what come out of italy are true,then lockdown was worth it

They have a vastly superior health service to us,and it collasped under strain of this virus
    Yeah it got hit with what we thought was coming our way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

Most Essential workers get paid peanuts and have to risk getting infected everyday

• Registered Users Posts: 29,262 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yeah it got hit with what we thought was coming our way.
    I'd think of it more as "they got hit with what WAS coming our way, but we got restrictions in place earlier in the process"

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

The media put the fear of God into a lot of Irish people by showing army trucks in northern Italy with coffins in them .
    Ireland WAS NEVER GOING TO GET THE SAME AMOUNT OF CASES AS ITALY .
    For many reasons .
    Population / age / health reasons etc .
    We need to reopen businesses on the 5th may .
    2 weeks after that restaurants should be allowed to open .
    Only after that should they look at what can be done with the pubs .
    Of course 800 deaths are shocking .
    Over half are in nursing homes .
    The elderly and especially those with bad health should continue to " cocoon" but we need to get back to doing business .
    Schools should remain closed until September .
    Anyone doing the leaving cert.... Split those up to classes of 15 per class with supervision to do exams .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

The media put the fear of God into a lot of Irish people by showing army trucks in northern Italy with coffins in them .
    For many reasons .
    The elderly and especially those with bad health should continue to " cocoon" but we need to get back to doing business .
    Anyone doing the leaving cert.... Split those up to classes of 15 per class with supervision to do exams .

Spot on.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Balf wrote: »
    Maybe.

But they're not seeing 100,000 deaths, which is what we were told would happen without the lockdown.

So I suspect something isn't working for us, either.
    I don't recall a 100,000 death figure being mentioned. Where did you see this?

Of course all projections being bandied about over a month ago would have been speculative. No-one (other than perhaps a few posters around here) would have said it "would" happen without a lockdown. Absolutely no-one was in a position to make such a claim

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

For many reasons .

How do you know?
    Everyone thought that what happened in Wuhan wouldnt happen anywhere else, then it happened it happened in Italy, then everyone thought Lombardy was an exception, then it happened in Madrid, London, Paris , New York, Belgium, Netherlands

It's not only densely populated places that are necessarily experiencing large numbers of deaths, Louisiana which has the same population as Ireland but only half it's density has twice as many deaths.

Regardless, I agree we do need to restore some elements of normal life again in May. We cant stay like this forever, doing it because we think we are impervious to the effect coronavirus is having on mainland Europe is definitely not the reason we should be doing it though

For many reasons .

Can you expand on this a bit?

What makes you think that the virus wouldn't have spread in exactly the same way if we hadn't imposed restrictions on movement/contact earlier in the process than Italy did?

Ireland started off with roughly half the number of ICU beds per head of population that Italy had.

The coffins in army trucks weren't for effect, they were real people who died because the health service collapsed in the face of the rate of infection, and the crematoriums couldn't deal with the rate of deaths.

Until we get the numbers of infections down to a level where the spread of infection won't overwhelm our hospitals, the restrictions will be in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Why would we start opening most things but leave schools closed to Sept?
    Surely if things are opening then schools could be included?

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »

Of course all projections being bandied about over a month ago would have been speculative. No-one (other than perhaps a few posters around here) would have said it "would" happen without a lockdown. Absolutely no-one was in a position to make such a claim

The first big speech Leo Varadkar gave mentioned 60,000 or 80,000 possible deaths I will be honest I can not remember the number I remember one of the Sunday papers came out with a massive number and the Government said they could not contradict this.

I can't remember exactly and I have been busy working and I can not seem to find the links as I can not remember the dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cockadoodledoo

Sorry if I came across the wrong way I did not take your post as an attack.

The whole situation is very frustrating I think the care homes should have been protected better I don't have all the answers as to how.

Yes it is frustrating and it is cruel but I really don’t know what Tony Holohan could have done?

I think they have done a fantastic job. I think the majority of the population have done a fantastic job.

I don’t want to point the finger at anybody. My heart goes out to any member of staff in the effected nursing homes. It must be absolutely horrific to experience. However, as I said in my original post, I think it boils down to what was implemented and when in each unit which unfortunately is down to management, not Tony Holohan.

We had our plan implemented (coincidentally) on the day Leo closed the schools. Others only started to think about it then.

Again just to reiterate, I am not blaming anybody in any nursing home. They have enough to deal with but I also don’t think it’s fair to blame one man either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

Leo lent his name to a figure of 85,000.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/up-to-85000-irish-people-could-die-from-coronavirus-in-worst-case-scenario-taoiseach-indicates-as-three-more-diagnosed-39029363.html

For Sweden, with double the population, that would crudely be 170,000.

And before you say its more complicated, recall that I'm responding to someone completing the two countries.

And, if we're not being pedantic, I take it we all get the basic point. The expectations were many, many deaths. Far more than are being seen in Sweden.

And folk seem to be saying that's because individual prudent behaviours by Swedes is enough to avoid catastrophe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

endainoz wrote: »
    Oh god, are you actually listening to yourself? Let's take a simple example: Health care worker works in a care home, they have a teenage kid in school. Kid gets exposed to virus in school before they get shut down and shows no symptoms. Kid passes it on to their parent, and despite their best efforts, they bring the virus to the care home.

100s of health care workers got exposed to it, even though they took every precaution. The efforts of people of the main population have an obvious knock on effect on the vunerable people.

You are getting very excited. Slow down. A care home worker is unlikely to spread the virus if they are wearing the proper PPE and following the correct protocols. They were thrown to the wolves. Plus, when this is all over, watch the taxpayer being screwed in the courts because the CMO said keep the homes open to visitors.

How do you know that the health care workers who caught it were taking every precaution? I can assure you they weren't. Few, if any, nursing homes used the correct PPE. They didn't even have it!

Screenshot-2020-04-23-at-19-24-52.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

cian68 wrote: »
    That is precisely BECAUSE of the precautions taken

Nothing more needs to be said.

85000 people and many more will die of COVID-19 if there is no vaccine.

Up to.
    Worse case scenario.
    Thankfully it looks like the restrictions that were taken seem to have done their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

85000 people and many more will die of COVID-19 if there is no vaccine.

Well that is scary to hear from you of all people, why do you think it would be that high?? I find it hard to believe it will reach that number, 85,000 is nearly 1 in every 50 residents within country

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Large image
    And the key words
    "up to"
    "worst case"
    "could die"

Missing words
    "100,000"
    "would happen"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I think some people believe its magic or the strength of Ireland being what stopped the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

For many reasons .

https://sway.office.com/PwTN7GCvJWDgn9yd?ref=Link
    Ill post the link to the report Dr Marcus Brun published before he resigned from the Irish Medical Council last week after Simon Harris had appointed him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

We have zero control over this virus and what it does,have you not noticed we know nothing about it.
    You realy think 100,000 old and sick people would be dead because of the half arsed measure? SWEDEN!

Onesea wrote: »
    We have zero control over this virus and what it does,have you not noticed we know nothing about it.
    You realy think 100,000 old and sick people would be dead because of the half arsed measure? SWEDEN!
    We have control over the rate at which it spreads among our population though, and that's what the restriction measures have been all about. So that our health services, which can and do get people through infection, don't get overwhelmed.

And the key words
    "up to"
    "worst case"
    "could die"

Missing words
    "100,000"
    "would happen"

Key words yes but the whole trust of the media left many people terrified.

A mystery panel of 45 people answers to nobody with no record of what they are doing...and im sure so many here are fine with it..Its like humanity has just given up to a virus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC3nptwY50I&t=25s

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    We have control over the rate at which it spreads among our population though, and that's what the restriction measures have been all about. So that our health services, which can and do get people through infection, don't get overwhelmed.

Idont buy it,we have tested so little of the population any numbers they present to us is guess work.....look in california,one county thought they had 7000 cases when in fact they had over 400.000,,same death rate as the flu

Key words yes but the whole trust of the media left many people terrified.

And many people had every right to be terrified, and many others had every right to be very concerned. Indeed many still have on both accounts

How do you think we should have done this differently? No lockdown and leave everyone to fend for thmeselves once the hospitals were full?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

It's killed nearly 200k people in 4 months, it's killed nearly 1000 in Ireland,in that time I've not heard of a single death by 'flu' ..nor have I ever tbh, but anyway,it's only on the go 4 months,it could mutate to something far far worse yet once it's really gotten hold around the globe.

Do you realise over 17m people have died in this time. Its 0.9% of a global death rate. And until such time as we can calculate yearly averages, we may have far less deaths due to heart disease, cancer etc due to Covid being a notifiable illness. Thus if you have it its the cause of death weather the cause was underlying issues or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

has covid 19 been blow out of all proportion?

I have a suggestion OP.

Go to one of the families of the 794 confirmed fatalities so far and say to them "you know what?, i think this covid 19 thing has been blown out of all proportion"

Get back to us then with how they respond?

Advertisement