Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyres for roadbike

Options
  • 23-04-2020 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭

I'm just looking for recommendations for tyres for my roadbike. It's mainly for country road use if that makes a difference. The tyres that are on it at the minute are 700x23c. I'll be looking to buy online as there are no bike shops open near me at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭lazywhole

ive been running these for about 4 years. they are bullet proof. i have not had 1 puncture. with them. i use the 25C. they are not known as a fast tyre thou

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-durano-plus-performance-folding-road-tyre-1/

im on my third set

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

+1 for the duranos. Cheaper on merlin, dont forget tubes aswell.

https://www.merlincycles.com/schwalbe-durano-plus-addix-performance-folding-road-tyre-700c-187200.html

If you want to pay more for something a little faster go for the conti 4 season tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Michelin Pro4 Endurance is a good option if you want something light enough with some protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Michelin Pro4 Endurance is a good option if you want something light enough with some protection.

+1 on the Pro4 Endurance. I've been using them for years on my winter/commuter bike. I get the odd puncture. Most punctures occur after 3,500/4,000km. On average I get 5,000km out of a pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Thanks for the replies. They look like great options. I'm probably leaning more towards the duranos if they offer better puncture protection as this would be more important than speed for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

aido79 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. They look like great options. I'm probably leaning more towards the duranos if they offer better puncture protection as this would be more important than speed for me.

Have a look at this comparison, the Michelin is on par with puncture resistance in this test despite the thinner tyre thread. I find the Michelin is more resistant to little shards getting lodged in the tyre, there's very little cuts and marks on mine. Other people may have better experiences but when I was using the Durano Plus I found they cut really easily and pick up a lot of glass. I'm lazy and got a lot of punctures on the Durano from not cleaning the glass out, entirely my fault, at least with the Michelin I don't have to look after them as much.

If speed really isn't a concern then the Marathon Plus will be bombproof, but painfully heavy.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/compare/michelin-pro-4-endurance-v2-2015-vs-schwalbe-durano-plus-2017

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Have a look at this comparison, the Michelin is on par with puncture resistance in this test despite the thinner tyre thread. I find the Michelin is more resistant to little shards getting lodged in the tyre, there's very little cuts and marks on mine. Other people may have better experiences but when I was using the Durano Plus I found they cut really easily and pick up a lot of glass. I'm lazy and got a lot of punctures on the Durano from not cleaning the glass out, entirely my fault, at least with the Michelin I don't have to look after them as much.

If speed really isn't a concern then the Marathon Plus will be bombproof, but painfully heavy.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/compare/michelin-pro-4-endurance-v2-2015-vs-schwalbe-durano-plus-2017

You might have just swung me towards the Michelin. Any idea where the best place to buy them would be?

Painfully heavy doesn't sound enticing considering there'll be a fair few hills on my rides.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I’m using Michelin Power Endurance 28mm tyres on my Winter bike which I’m using full time now during restrictions as I’m sticking to back country roads which have poor surfaces. They’re holding up very well despite being used on some god awful roads. I also use latex tubes which adds to the plushness. I pump them to 55psi front and 65psi rear and that gives me a really comfy set up for the poor road surfaces.

The previous tyres on my winter bike were Michelin Lithion 2’s in 25mm. Those things are absolutely bomb proof, they were subjected to 2 years of wet rides on crappy roads and not a single puncture or cut in them in that time. I probably would have got another 1000km from them but the rear was fairly squared off and I decided I wanted 28’s, had the lithions been available in 28mm I would have bought them.

I have only good things to say about Michelin’s. I’ve previously had the Pro4 service course tyres which were excellent as well as Krylion carbons on a winter bike years ago which I got over 6000kms from before they needed replacing.

Go with Michelins!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Do you have to go as narrow as 23s? I use to use Marathons at 23c and despite the puncture protection, I said I would never go back but I know have them wider and at a lower tyre pressure as they came with a set of wheels and they are great, not a huge amount slower than my fancy tyres (although that maybe the rider rather than the tyre) in regards commuting speed.

I’m using Michelin Power Endurance 28mm tyres on my Winter bike which I’m using full time now during restrictions as I’m sticking to back country roads which have poor surfaces. They’re holding up very well despite being used on some god awful roads. I also use latex tubes which adds to the plushness. I pump them to 55psi front and 65psi rear and that gives me a really comfy set up for the poor road surfaces.

The previous tyres on my winter bike were Michelin Lithion 2’s in 25mm. Those things are absolutely bomb proof, they were subjected to 2 years of wet rides on crappy roads and not a single puncture or cut in them in that time. I probably would have got another 1000km from them but the rear was fairly squared off and I decided I wanted 28’s, had the lithions been available in 28mm I would have bought them.

I have only good things to say about Michelin’s. I’ve previously had the Pro4 service course tyres which were excellent as well as Krylion carbons on a winter bike years ago which I got over 6000kms from before they needed replacing.

Go with Michelins!

Thanks for that. Good idea using 55 and 65 psi for poor surfaces. I've usually had mine at around 100 psi because most of my cycling was on cycle paths.
    Thanks also for the recommendation on latex tubes. I didn't realise they'd make a difference.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Do you have to go as narrow as 23s? I use to use Marathons at 23c and despite the puncture protection, I said I would never go back but I know have them wider and at a lower tyre pressure as they came with a set of wheels and they are great, not a huge amount slower than my fancy tyres (although that maybe the rider rather than the tyre) in regards commuting speed.

The only reason for 23s is because they are the original tyres that were on the bike when I bought it.

The only reason for 23s is because they are the original tyres that were on the bike when I bought it.

Have a look at the frame on the bike and see can you get wider tyres on them, the wider, the more comfy and potentially faster you can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I find 28mm the optimum size for commuting. Not all frames will take 'em though.

Duranos are awful old muck. Totally dead to ride. A nice pair of Conti GP 4 Seasons would be a great result.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

MojoMaker wrote: »
    I find 28mm the optimum size for commuting. Not all frames will take 'em though.
    Very true. I find the Michelin Pro4 range to be a lot wider than than the specified size. I use 25mm Pro4 Endurance and they are as wide as the 28mm Continentals that my friend uses.

So be extra careful if changing to 28mm Michelin Pro4 - you'll need to be sure that your frame will take them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Duranos are awful old muck. Totally dead to ride. A nice pair of Conti GP 4 Seasons would be a great result.

I agree, had 28mm Duranos and they’re very heavy and slow. They made it feel like you were cycling through sludge/treacle. I took them off my bike after a few hundred KMs as they were so dead.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Have a look at the frame on the bike and see can you get wider tyres on them, the wider, the more comfy and potentially faster you can be.

Can't see anything on the frame about tyre size. Where is the size normally located?

This is the bike:
    https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/value-guide/product/3038936/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

It won't be written anywhere

The trend towards wider tires is recent - 25mm, 28mm and some new endurance bikes even come with 32mm. Frame design will have adapted since 2011.

Take a look under the fork at the front, and at the back look at the level of clearance you have particularly between the tire and the chainstays, seatstays and rear brake. If it looks anyway close, you are probably stuck with 23s.

Someone once told me to try fit a pencil in between everywhere to see if you have room to go up a size

Can't see anything on the frame about tyre size. Where is the size normally located?

This is the bike:
    https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/value-guide/product/3038936/

I meant literally. As in look at the current wheels and tyres on it when on the bike and look at how much space is left to fit wider tyres.

It won't be written anywhere

The trend towards wider tires is recent - 25mm, 28mm and some new endurance bikes even come with 32mm. Frame design will have adapted since 2011.

Take a look under the fork at the front, and at the back look at the level of clearance you have particularly between the tire and the chainstays, seatstays and rear brake. If it looks anyway close, you are probably stuck with 23s.

Someone once told me to try fit a pencil in between everywhere to see if you have room to go up a size

I can just fit a pencil between the tyre and frame so there's room for a wider tyre. Thanks.

I can just fit a pencil between the tyre and frame so there's room for a wider tyre. Thanks.

Find the tyre you like and then go with 25s this time, some run wider so just in case. A 28 should get in there but only just, get the 25s this time and if you like the tyres and their is still space, go for the 28s the next time. It also depends on your wheel as well, some have narrower or wider rim widths which make the tire run narrower or wider as well. Just my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Pro4 SC or Pro4 E? Currently on Rubino Pro E on front and Durano on rear. I often encounter roads which are less than perfect. Lose chippings new or worn away, getting a lot of vibration, I just can't avoid them around my place. I'm happy with their puncture resistance.
    The above mention Michelins are going for 50 quid for 2 from irish source, meant to get Rubinos from Merlin but it takes longer than usual to deliver.
    Would it be any benefit if went for lighter tyres? My average speed is around 30 km/h and rolling on 36 spoke wheels.
    Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

What are the Conti 4 Seasons like compared to the Gatorskins? Gatorskins came with the bike, had them for a month didn't like them - felt like cycling on glass.

Currently running Durano 23c, no issue with them but would like to try something different in a 25c

Was looking at these if anyone can compare them from personal experience?

- Conti 4 Seasons (as a winter tyre)
    - Conti GP5000s
    - Schwalbe Pro 1

One more question, anyone know if Continental do a clincher tyre with grip similar to the Pro Ltd tubulars? Look like a nice grippy tyre but there's no clincher version

CormacH94 wrote: »
    No experience, sorry
    - Conti GP5000s
    Fast grippy comfortable but no where near as long lasting as their predecessor, a race tire more than a general all rounder, if you pick up any 4000SII they will serve you well
    - Schwalbe Pro 1
    I burned through a set on my commute in what felt like days. Grand speed wise and grip wise although the G4000SII felt better, it may be in my head, but I had ripped off the outer carcass in short order after breaking hard on my commute in situations I would have been fine with normally. i got home but the outer casing was holed badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Might jump in here too if that’s alright.

Currently running gatorskins. Absolutely great for no punctures ever but wet weather isn’t their friend.

I’m tempted to move to Pirelli’s. The P Zero 4S look decent and they have a cinturato I think it’s called that’s even more puncture resistant.

I’m hesitant to go with the Cinturato in case it’s the same as the Gatorskin for grip in the wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Armadillo elites. Gators without the wet weather problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

4 seasons are very good in the wet. Gatorskins are comically bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

CormacH94 wrote: »
    Had them as a winter tyre, put them on the "good" bike for LBL, and ended up leaving them on all summer.

I don't race, and given the reviews of the GP5000's, they'll most likely be my option when my GP4000's need replacing (if I stay tubed). Always avoided Gatorskins so can't compare to them.

ED E wrote: »
    Armadillo elites. Gators without the wet weather problem.

I found these quite good, not quiet as grippy as high end tyres but a decent all rounder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Continental 4 Seasons in 28's - cannot fault them. Have been running them 2 years now and no punctures (other than self created from a pinched tube and slow puncture).

They are very comfortable and grip is good. No issues with rolling resistance etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gidea

Continental 4 Seasons in 28's - cannot fault them. Have been running them 2 years now and no punctures (other than self created from a pinched tube and slow puncture).

They are very comfortable and grip is good. No issues with rolling resistance etc.

Had 4 seasons in 28's aswell and never had a puncture, have only replaced them recently and they where badly cracked from being on so long :p

Have moved on to conti's grand prix GT tires and they feel amazing, feel alot faster than the 4 seasons and have a lot of grip, but cant say anything about puncture resistance yet

Advertisement