Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi mesh systems

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭Soarer

tobdom wrote: »
    You should have the wireless network disabled on your router and let the Deco only do the WiFi, try that to see if it makes a difference.

Tried it, no difference.

In my limited knowledge, I think I’ve done all the trouble shooting I can.

neddynasty wrote: »
    I had something similar with my Linksys system. Turned out the cat6 cable I was using, which connected the router to the primary Linksys node, was defective and it was acting like a cat5 cable and limiting speed to a max of 100mbs. I went a bought a new one and bingo, wifi speeds of 400mb+.

Have swapped the cable too.
    Using a 1m cat7 cable.
    And have swapped the node.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Soarer wrote: »
    Have swapped the cable too.
    Using a 1m cat7 cable.
    And have swapped the node.

Is the Deco Operation Mode set up as Access Point?

DeadSkin wrote: »

Is the Deco Operation Mode set up as Access Point?

Yup

My Xbox connected to the modem gets between 800-850mbps.
    When I hardwire the Xbox through the deco, I still only get between 90-95mbps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,120 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

a lot of people with similar issues it seems, this thread may help

https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/152513?page=4

one person gave this as a solution

1. open Deco app

2. Tap More tab

3. Under Homecare tap QoS

4. Scroll to the bottom and tap on "Edit" next to Total Bandwidth:

5. Click on "Test"

6. If tested speed is your total ISP output click "Save" an your done.

*Note what the displayed bandwidth is before you edit to see if there is a major change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Cyrus wrote: »

1. open Deco app

2. Tap More tab

5. Click on "Test"

*Note what the displayed bandwidth is before you edit to see if there is a major change.

QoS is not supported under Access Point operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭dam099

Which Deco model do you have? Really sounds like the ethernet link is capped at 100Mbs so if you have changed the cable and no improvement then maybe you have a model like the E4 that only has a 10/100 ethernet port? I nearly made the mistake of buying one of those on Amazon as the price difference was minimal and I missed the difference in specs.

1. open Deco app

2. Tap More tab

5. Click on "Test"

DeadSkin wrote: »
    QoS is not supported under Access Point operation.

Thanks Cyrus.

I don't have the QoS option in my Deco app, so I can only assume it's not available under AP as DeadSkin suggests.
    dam099 wrote: »
    Which Deco model do you have? Really sounds like the ethernet link is capped at 100Mbs so if you have changed the cable and no improvement then maybe you have a model like the E4 that only has a 10/100 ethernet port? I nearly made the mistake of buying one of those on Amazon as the price difference was minimal and I missed the difference in specs.

Have the M4.

It does sound like the ports are 10/100 as opposed to gigabit. My tv's port is 10/100, and I get between 90-95mbps with that being hardwired too.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

The M4 are definitely 1000, I have a set and I regularly get 400mb WiFi speeds with me. All of mine are Ethernet backhaul.

• Advertisement

Aquos76 wrote: »
    The M4 are definitely 1000, I have a set and I regularly get 400mb WiFi speeds with me. All of mine are Ethernet backhaul.

I'm not saying they're not.

Mine just seem capped at 100mbps for some reason.

As another test, I connected my Sky box to the deco via ethernet.
    Normally I get over 400mbps on the Sky box when tested through the Netflix app.
    When I tested the Deco? 92mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

no they shouldnt but you are correct that one is connected at 100fdx not 1000fdx so the speed on that AP is limited
    Disconnect it, bring it to the router and plug in using Ethernet cable to see if it connects at full speed. You may have a bad c connector or a damaged core on the cable to the shed

Well lookie here...

538436.jpg

I had to reconnect the myenergi hub in the garage, which needs a wired connection. Previously I had a Tenda node out there which has a secondary port so I plugged into that.

Last night I just ditched the hub temporarily and used the long (dodgy) cable direct to the Unifi AP.

Tonight I got hold of a 4 port switch, so the dodgy cable is now going into the switch rather than the AP.

Then have 2 short cables from the switch, 1 into the poe injector, 1 into the myenergi hub.

And a final short cat-6 from the injector into the AP.

And voila, no longer showing the 100mb limit plus I'm getting these speeds.

538437.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Well lookie here...

538436.jpg

I had to reconnect the myenergi hub in the garage, which needs a wired connection. Previously I had a Tenda node out there which has a secondary port so I plugged into that.

Last night I just ditched the hub temporarily and used the long (dodgy) cable direct to the Unifi AP.

Tonight I got hold of a 4 port switch, so the dodgy cable is now going into the switch rather than the AP.

Then have 2 short cables from the switch, 1 into the poe injector, 1 into the myenergi hub.

And a final short cat-6 from the injector into the AP.

And voila, no longer showing the 100mb limit plus I'm getting these speeds.

538437.jpg

You'll live with that :p

You'll live with that :p

I'll cope...

Until 2 years ago the strongest wifi signal I could get was when standing in the hallway underneath the router.

And it was a lofty 3mb...

If anyone wants to dip their toes into the mesh game, I now have a 3 pack and a 2 pack of Tenda Nova MW6 that I'm not using.

Does boards have a classified adverts area?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

DrPhilG wrote: »
    If anyone wants to dip their toes into the mesh game, I now have a 3 pack and a 2 pack of Tenda Nova MW6 that I'm not using.

Does boards have a classified adverts area?

yes... it's called adverts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

54and56 wrote: »
    One more question:-

I operate a home office so have Virgin business broadband and as part of that I've 5 static IP addresses from them. I only use one of them and it's allocated to the existing ASUS router (connected by Ethernet to the Virgin Modem) as the WAN IP address.

I can't quite recall the reason for or benefits of having a static IP address set as the WAN IP address but I guess I should replicate the static IP address as the WAN address on the TT Mesh system?

If anyone has any suggestions for using the other 4 static IP addresses I currently don't use I'm all ears!!

Anyone got any thoughts on the static IP issue I have?

Anyone got any thoughts on the static IP issue I have?

What you've got is a /29 subnet with 6 hosts. If you don't have a use for them it doesn't matter. Businesses use them for internet facing services, web, vpn, voip etc. If you are hosting stuff at home it could come in useful to have this on a different public IP, Plex or Emby maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Debs91

Best way is to run cat6 cabling to the locations , if you can’t do that either power line adapters or a decent WiFi mesh system (google one or similar )

I found the power line adapter amiss too unfortunately, looks like it’s the mesh system.

1. open Deco app

2. Tap More tab

5. Click on "Test"

Right.
    Don’t know whether this will make a mess of things or not, but...
    I changed the mode of the Deco from AP to Router Mode.
    Same speed.
    Then did the thing above with the editing the bandwidth, changing both to 1000.
    Seems to have opened things up a bit.

Sitting here in the sitting room, across the hall from the modem and node 1, and I’m getting around 140mbps through the Deco network.
    Switching to the modem’s 5GHz and running the Speedtest, I’m getting 375mbps.
    So I’m finally breaking the 100mbps barrier on the Decos, but still at a fraction of the Eir network.

Anything else I could try?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Debs91

Damien360 wrote: »
    Are you using the TP-link as a router after the Vodafone modem ? Or is it an AP ?

I have virgin BB and put it in modem mode with Google mesh router and 2 x AP's. Not cheap but gives good coverage. Overkill possibly.

If you have a router and want to use the TP-link as a AP, you could try connect it to the router via powerline connections and then let it be a AP to other wireless devices or a couple of wired in that one location also. I had a similar setup previously but you loose a lot of speed over powerline (drops to 15% of house input in my case). But you get stability.

Depends what you wish to spend and your needs in each location. Google mesh is very good but doesn't give the coverage they advertise (in my case anyway). Just like any wifi 5Ghz signal, it cannot penetrate solid walls very well. It does have 2.4GHz auto switching built in to get around that. So I had to add another AP point to my purchase of one router and one AP. The setup and control in the app though is excellent.

I’m using it as an extender from the Vodafone Modem, I find the signal isn’t as strong in the rooms & it can’t stream radio stations in the garage smoothly - it breaks up at points. Does it matter where the TP is located, it’s in the attic at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

What you've got is a /29 subnet with 6 hosts. If you don't have a use for them it doesn't matter. Businesses use them for internet facing services, web, vpn, voip etc. If you are hosting stuff at home it could come in useful to have this on a different public IP, Plex or Emby maybe?

Thanks Gooey Looey, I appreciate the info.

I don't run any internet facing services from my home office facility but I do run two Plex servers so I should investigate how allocating two of the fixed IP addresses to those might be beneficial. They are only used externally by 12-15 friends and family fairly intermittently (more so since Covid) so not a big deal but if a static IP address would improve security and/or performance it might be worth doing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Thanks Gooey Looey, I appreciate the info.

I don't run any internet facing services from my home office facility but I do run two Plex servers so I should investigate how allocating two of the fixed IP addresses to those might be beneficial. They are only used externally by 12-15 friends and family fairly intermittently (more so since Covid) so not a big deal but if a static IP address would improve security and/or performance it might be worth doing.

I used to run a plex server via IP and also via DynDNS, long story short, don't bother, their own service is so much easier and better just use that.

Clareman wrote: »
    I used to run a plex server via IP and also via DynDNS, long story short, don't bother, their own service is so much easier and better just use that.

Yeah, I now use Emby so I forgot you won't need it for Plex as you authenticate with Plex servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

I have Virgin 500 package and have it bridged and using TP link router and also have WFH PC hardwired so thats ok. So have 2.4g and 5g

However the wifi on phone keeps dropping now and again. Also looking at putting another TV in the room and android box/firestick for streaming.

However cannot run another cable into the room so looking at wifi mesh to run android box but think it maybe overkill and having to change settings on router

Looked at WIFI extenders and not sure if they are worthwhile or for what I want should they work or any other options

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I use Google WIFI x 3. One wired to the Virgin Media router and two others dotted around the house. WIFI is fantastic and up to 300+Mbps wifi speed depending on the device.

Just tested [internal wifi speed]:
    302Mbps to Firestick [2 rooms away - maybe 10 meters as crow flies, 2 x stud partition]
    363Mbps to OnePlus 7Pro [2 meters from AP]

Up until yesterday, I just couldn't fault it [other than by being owned by Google and having to use their admin app so no web interface]. However, yesterday I put a VPN router between it and the VM bridged router [just to thinker about]. I then found out that the Google Wifi mesh can only be a mesh if one of it's hub are the router. So now I'm double natted. The alternative [and keep the vpn router] is to use the 3 x google wifi hubs as standalone wifi AP's. There is no other option other than removing the VPN router.

So, for a standard set up with VM router as a bridge and Google mesh as THE router, it just works. As a power user, I would love a web interface but it's not a deal breaker for me, just an inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Considering the TP Link Deco M4. Anyone any experience with this model? Seems reasonable. €120 for 3 pack in Harvey Norman.

I have Virgin 500 package and have it bridged and using TP link router and also have WFH PC hardwired so thats ok. So have 2.4g and 5g

However the wifi on phone keeps dropping now and again. Also looking at putting another TV in the room and android box/firestick for streaming.

However cannot run another cable into the room so looking at wifi mesh to run android box but think it maybe overkill and having to change settings on router

Looked at WIFI extenders and not sure if they are worthwhile or for what I want should they work or any other options

A good mesh WiFi is well worth the money. I have a 250mb line & a two part mesh... It's fanfeckin'tastic. The cable modem has wifi disabled and connected directly to the mesh. Anything needing a wired connection is direct to the modem. Only downside is that they need to be located in one location, or I need another mesh point with an ethernet port.

I don't have a TV connection + working from home with lots of zoom calls, large file downloads, wireless printing, plus I have gone overkill on smart home etc... & it was well worth investing in.

The future is going to place more demands on our data needs... This has me future proofed, at least for the medium term...

Considering the TP Link Deco M4. Anyone any experience with this model? Seems reasonable. €120 for 3 pack in Harvey Norman.

Whats the upper limit in terms of line speed? some systems only accomodate 100mb download...

[edit] seems to do up to 300, which is reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Hi, does anyone have this Fritzbox mesh repeater ?

I have Siro with Digiweb and the provided the Fritzbox, but i had to get it put in the front room behind the TV. im finding the signal drops sometimes in the back of the house now. I was thinking about getting this

https://digiweb.ie/product/fritz-3000-repeater/

But wanted to see if anyone has any experience with it first?

Thanks a lot

Advertisement