Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a type of tree

Options
  • 23-04-2020 6:15pm

I'd like to plant a tree to remember someone. The site i am thinking of is on top of a hill and there would be enough soil to dig but it is quite rocky in general with a few old whitethorns around it.

Can anyone suggest a tree, common to Ireland and one that could grow tall and strong there?

Already have a couple of oaks close by so would like something else.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭macraignil

Rowan tree(sorbus aucuparia)?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Hawthorn - grow as a tree by removing lower side shoots as it develops. Or as macraignil says, a Rowan - deeply symbolic, traditional and beautiful.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I love beech trees (the purple/copper ones especially), but I don't know how it'd fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭highdef

I've got four rowans, planted about 8/9 years ago. Two of them are growing quite slowly, the other two gain no more than an inch or two, year on year. They look a bit pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,071 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Scots Pine a good choice for top of a hill.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice, the Rowan sounds good and is a definite potential.

I see the thinking for the Scots pine, probably wouldn't suit the picture in my mind but has given me a thought for elsewhere.

Copper Beech is a good shout, not sure how it would fare either?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have a vague theory that may not be worth anything, but I believe Rowans need a bit of altitude. If anyone can confirm or deny this I would be grateful. Hawthorns will grow in very bleak conditions - maybe not 'tall and strong', more likely small, deformed and tough but they can survive in areas that are exposed. There may not be enough soil on a hilltop as described for a beech, they need good soil, but they are pretty tough.

The best way of deciding what tree will suit what site is to look around and see what else is growing there successfully.

looksee wrote: »
    I have a vague theory that may not be worth anything, but I believe Rowans need a bit of altitude. If anyone can confirm or deny this I would be grateful. Hawthorns will grow in very bleak conditions - maybe not 'tall and strong', more likely small, deformed and tough but they can survive in areas that are exposed. There may not be enough soil on a hilltop as described for a beech, they need good soil, but they are pretty tough.

The best way of deciding what tree will suit what site is to look around and see what else is growing there successfully.

I think you have a couple of good points there.

When I looked up Rowans they are also called Mountain Ash...

The hill I'm talking about it on our land and there are plenty of large trees all around, but on the rocky hills they tend to be small hawthorn and white thorn.

Maybe I should reconsider the place if I want something more substantial.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

These preserve, collect, grow and sell different and rate types of native irish plants, trees and seeds - well worth alook around their site:

irishseedsavers.ie

There is also a lot of info on dofferent websites such as ( you’ll have to google)

Crann
    Native Irish Trust
    Irish Peat and Native Woodlands Conservation
    etc

For grown mature trees both bare root and in pots there is Tullys in Dublin, and I believe another place called Fora Nurseries in Cork - in case you want headstart!

Advertisement