Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Decide: Greatest Sitcom Character (US & Canada)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

The Dean and the human beings.

Sorry, big modernity bias.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

A great win there from Dean Craig Pelton who immediately advances to Round 2, while Reverend Jim takes a seat in the waiting room, dubbed by me The Loser's Lounge with all the others who are anxiously waiting to fight their way back in to the tournament

That's the final of the standard head-to-head matches for this round, but we've still 4 more matches to go for Round 1 and they're very different from what came before, so be sure to read through the instructions for them as they go up - don't worry you won't need to race to get a post done, there'll be plenty of time

I'll be posting the info for the first of the Secondchance Showdowns for the Runner-Ups of the first 60 matches very shortly, just have a couple of things to sort out for that first, but before the Battle Backs begin...

DfoEeefl.jpg

Time to get your nomination in for the People’s Choice Wildcard contestant. You all get only 1 nomination here, so use it wisely. PM me the name of your nominee by 2pm tomorrow afternoon and then all nominees chosen by you will face off in a battle royale, in Match 64 and conclude our first round. Why only 1 nomination per person? Because only 1 will be winning their way in to the competition, and the more competition they are up against the tougher a time they will have winning their way in, so you'd only handicap the 1 you truly want to see in there if you had multiple nomination

I had set myself a limit of 3 characters per show, but that doesn’t apply for your choices, so even if a show already has had three characters appear, The Office for example, you can still nominate a character from that show as long as they already haven’t been included (so in this case Michael, Dwight, or Jim aren’t eligible to be nominated as a Wildcard). See the list below if you’re unsure about who’s been included yet or not.

Characters from any US or Canadian Sitcom are eligble to be nominated, except for Animated Shows. If there's an issue with your nominee, I will let you know.

Remember send your nominee to me via PM only, names posted in the thread at random will be ignored and not included.

Here’s a list of everyone who has appeared in the competition already, characters are grouped with their show, which are listed alphebetically (not including ‘The’)…

2 Broke Girls: Max 3rd Rock From The Sun: Dick, Harry 30 Rock: Jack, Jenna, Liz ALF: ALF All In The Family: Archie Arrested Development: Gob, Lindsay, Lucille The Big Bang Theory: Leonard, Penny, Sheldon Brooklyn Nine-Nine: Holt, Jake, Rosa Boy Meets World: Mr Feeny Cheers: Cliff, Norm Community: Abed, The Dean, Jeff Curb Your Enthusiasm: Larry Dharma & Greg: Dharma Diff’rent Strokes: Arnold Dinosaurs: Baby, Earl Don’t Trust the B**** in Apt 23: Chloe, James Eastbound & Down: Kenny Everybody Loves Raymond: Ray Family Ties: Alex Frasier: Daphne, Frasier, Niles Fresh Off The Boat: Jessica The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air: Carlton, Geoffrey, Philip Friends: Chandler, Rachel, Ross The Goldbergs: Barry, Beverly The Golden Girls: Dorothy, Rose, Sophia The Good Place: Chidi, Eleanor, Janet Grounded For Life: Eddie, Sean Happy Endings: Alex, Penny Happy Days: Fonzie Home Improvement: Tim How I Met Your Mother: Barney It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia: Charlie, Dee, Frank The Jeffersons: George The King of Queens: Arthur Malcolm In The Middle: Hal, Lois Married… With Children: Al, Kelly, Peggy M*A*S*H: Hawkeye Modern Family: Claire, Mitchell Mork & Mindy: Mork My Name Is Earl: Earl, Randy New Girl: Jess, Nick, Winston Night Court: Harry The Office: Dwight, Jim, Michael Parks & Recreation: April, Leslie, Ron Party Down: Ron Perfect Strangers: Balki Reno 911!: Johnson Roseanne: Dan, Darlene Sabrina, The Teenage Witch: Salem Sanford and Son: Fred, Lamont Saved By The Bell: Zack Schitt’s Creek: Alexis, David, Moira Scrubs: Cox, Janitor Seinfeld: Elaine, George, Kramer Silicon Valley: Jared Superstore: Amy, Jonah Taxi: Jim, Latka, Louie That ‘70s Show: Fez, Kitty, Red Three’s Company: Chrissy, Jack Trailer Park Boys: Bubbles, Ricky Undateable: Danny Veep: Selina What We Do In the Shadows: Laszlo, Nandor, Nadja Will & Grace: Karen

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Just copped on we've had Abed, Jeff and now Dean. 3 from Community! So no Ben Chang :(

source.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51ac224777e9c2f19648b9ba18662050b555f01d6b0&rid=giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Nomination sent, in gif form! :D

• Advertisement

Not my nomination as they would get slaughtered, but I am a bit surprised by no letterkenny (specifically Wayne) or bored to death (probably ted dansons character.)

If you haven't seen them, look them up, neither would be everyone's cup of tea but both are good, letterkenny has probably hung around a bit too long but bored to death was brief and wonderful (although Jason Schwartzman might put some off, I personally loved it.)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Just looking through those already contested. Isn't it funny how often the side characters are the funniest. Eg:

Will & Grace - neither nominated
    Seinfeld - all three of the others nominated, but not the main guy
    Fresh Prince of Bel Air - the uncle, the cousin and the butler nominated, but not the main guy
    That 70s Show - argubaly about Eric and Donna, but two side characters nominated
    Cheers - no Sam, Dianne or Rebecca
    Boy Meets World - the neighbour / teacher, but not the main cast
    How I Met Your Mother - not Ted
    Scrubs - not JD
    Roseanne - not Roseanne

Obviously not in all cases, but it did seem like a lot of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

The first Secondchance Showdown is almost ready to go, just need a few more minutes to get it sorted.

It'll be the last piece of business for this evening and the deadline for it won't end until tomorrow morning, so loads of time for you all to read the instructions and get your votes in to me (the next few rounds will mostly involve sending me in PMs by the way)

I haven't had a look at your wildcards yet, but will do once I get this next match up

Can I send you my nomination, and if I change my mind overnight send you something else tomorrow and null my first one?

quickbeam wrote: »
    Can I send you my nomination, and if I change my mind overnight send you something else tomorrow and null my first one?

Yeah no worries. I can see the PM's rolling in right now. Fair play everyone. :D

Almost ready with the first Secondchance Showdown!!!

• Advertisement

quickbeam wrote: »
    Just looking through those already contested. Isn't it funny how often the side characters are the funniest. Eg:

Will & Grace - neither nominated
    Seinfeld - all three of the others nominated, but not the main guy
    Fresh Prince of Bel Air - the uncle, the cousin and the butler nominated, but not the main guy
    That 70s Show - argubaly about Eric and Donna, but two side characters nominated
    Cheers - no Sam, Dianne or Rebecca
    Boy Meets World - the neighbour / teacher, but not the main cast
    How I Met Your Mother - not Ted
    Scrubs - not JD
    Roseanne - not Roseanne

Obviously not in all cases, but it did seem like a lot of them.

Frequently the main character has to be the straight man and everyone gets to be zany around them.

I totally didn't appreciate this quality in Eric foreman on that 70's show until he was gone.

The Runner-Ups from the first 60 matches were sent to the Loser’s Lounge where their numbers were shuffled and they were randomized in to 3 groups of 20.

The way these matches will work, is gonna be a bit different and don’t think anything like it has been done here for a tournament like this before, so hope I’ve managed to explain this well, and that you'll all enjoy the unusual format.

Of the 20 Characters below, choose 7 and send me a PM with those names listed in order of priority for you, with 1 being your first preference.

Kind of like in Eurovision, those 7 will be assigned a different number of points. Your first preference will get 8 points, second preference gets 6, third gets 5, fouth gets 4, fifth gets 3, sixth gets 2, and seventh gets 1 point.
    If there isn’t seven characters there that you fancy giving points to, and say you only want to send in five names, your first preference will still get 8 points, second still gets 6 points, and so on and so forth.

I will tally all of the points from everyone's voting card, and once the deadline for votes has passed I will reveal who scored what and announce the Winner.

Only the character with the highest number of total points in each of these 3 Secondchance Showdown matches will return to the competition, the other 57 characters are eliminated.

Sounds a bit complicated, but hopefully isn’t, and fingers crossed this will all work out.

Match 61

The Contestants

i863Gvx.jpg

Alex Kerkovich
    vs
    James Van Der Beek
    vs
    The Janitor
    vs
    Nandor the Relentless
    vs
    Danny Burton
    vs
    Charlie Kelly
    vs
    Larry David
    vs
    Ray Barone
    vs
    Kitty Forman
    vs
    Leonard Hofstadter
    vs
    Ross Gellar
    vs
    Liz Lemon
    vs
    Bubbles
    vs
    Beverly Goldberg
    vs
    Moira Rose
    vs
    Darlene Conner
    vs
    Elaine Benes
    vs
    ALF
    vs
    Baby Sinclair
    vs
    Reverend Jim

Deadline for getting the votes in to me via PM for Match 61 is 10am tomorrow morning, so plenty of time and I’ll give the results for that shortly afterwards before kicking off the next Showdown.

In the (hopefully unlikely) event of a tie, as always, I will cast the deciding vote.

Be sure to PM your votes as lists posted in the thread won’t be counted, but do feel free to discuss the characters involved in the battle.

You don't need to give me reasons for your choices for these ones, just a simple numbered list will be grand

Excellent! Now THAT is democracy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Sounds like an insane amount of work ASLVB :eek:

I'll do my bit to ease your workload by not liking any of those contestants.

Ficheall wrote: »

Nah, this part will be straightforward enough. Putting that picture together was the hardest part... :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Sent in but its heartbreaking that of Janitor, Ross and Larry only one might get through :(

Jesus.. I have 7 no problem, but really hard to order the top 3 :(

Right results for Match 61 should be around the 11am mark tomorrow if all goes to plan

In the meantime keep getting in your votes for that, and your wildcard nominee if you haven't already

Cheers everyone for your votes today, didn't expect to get to this point so early. Tomorrow will all be Secondchance Showdowns and the Wildcard Battle Royale

Ficheall wrote: »

Ah, sure he will just scan them in using that thing across his eyes, and it will do all the work for him

Trigger wrote: »
    Ah, sure he will just scan them in using that thing across his eyes, and it will do all the work for him

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭davetherave

I had a great idea for a wildcard nomination, that I was surprised didn't make the cut first time round, then I realised it would have been a spoiled vote because this South Canada and Canada only. There would definitely be enough great characters to do a Uk/Irl version of this. :)

I had a great idea for a wildcard nomination, that I was surprised didn't make the cut first time round, then I realised it would have been a spoiled vote because this South Canada and Canada only. There would definitely be enough great characters to do a Uk/Irl version of this.

Definitely. Though if it goes anything like the best TV show contest I could only see one winner...

Last call for the Secondchance Showdown. 15 minutes left for that one.

Still have until 2pm to submit a Wildcard if you haven't already done so. See Post #513 for more details on that.

The Lines are now closed for the first Secondchance Showdown

Which Character has managed to make their way back in to the Competition?

There will be a 5-Part Eurovision Style Reveal for Match 61 at 11am to find out

tenor.gif?itemid=7319535

tenor.gif?itemid=5441905

Like any good Irish voter, I used all 7 of my votes in this. But in reality, I'd be annoyed if any outside my top three go through. Fingers crossed.

I just used 4, didn't want anyone possibly gaining from my votes that I didn't want to advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Necro wrote: »
    Larry David and Uncle Phil got knocked out too, it's been a massacre :(
    It suprised me how some really great iconic characters have been knocked out by some pretty average and even crap characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,682 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Too much going on this morning to send the list in. But I'll be acting as a counter weight to Necro

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,682 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

The Lines are now closed for the first Secondchance Showdown

Which Character has managed to make their way back in to the Competition?

There will be a 5-Part Eurovision Style Reveal for Match 61 at 11am to find out

I demand a Captain Holt.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

Advertisement