Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Decide: Greatest Sitcom Character (US & Canada)

Comments

I missed the start of this thread and also missed the wildcard nominations, if I had to pick someone from a show that hasn't featured yet I'd go with Murray Hewitt from Flight of the Conchords; it's set in New York and was made by an American network so hope that it would still count even if the main actors/writers are Kiwis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I missed the start of this thread and also missed the wildcard nominations, if I had to pick someone from a show that hasn't featured yet I'd go with Murray Hewitt from Flight of the Conchords; it's set in New York and was made by an American network so hope that it would still count even if the main actors/writers are Kiwis.

I forgot about Flight Of The Conchords until after I had already started the competition, otherwise I probably would've included them. Loved the series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I have to say, I have really enjoyed reading this thread. I was 3 days late to knowing it was on lol.

One thing though. Just because you dont like a show, doesnt mean the characters in it were ****. George Costanza is one of the best CHARACTERS of all time and viting him out because I dont like seinfeld or I dont like Jerry seinfeld is just ****ing stupid. You should all be ashamed of yourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

Rikand wrote: »
    I have to say, I have really enjoyed reading this thread. I was 3 days late to knowing it was on lol.

One thing though. Just because you dont like a show, doesnt mean the characters in it were ****. George Costanza is one of the best CHARACTERS of all time and viting him out because I dont like seinfeld or I dont like Jerry seinfeld is just ****ing stupid. You should all be ashamed of yourselves

I think poor old costanza was a victim of timing, he came directly after someone popular was voted out, there were lulls in the voting and if he came at one of those, more considered minds would have put him through, but at the time it was a bit of bedlam, only needing 4 votes they came super quick while others were typing long thought out reasons.

The 4 votes is perfectly reasonable for the first round as you don't know just how well received something like this will be, you would be left with egg on your face waiting for the first to ten.

Sure then there are other rounds like barry goldberg getting through where people had to be nagged to vote.

really fun tournament, some unfortunate exits but what can you do?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Just looked back at that contest, and considering who he was up against, it really was a shocker. There were some that had two really good characters against each other meaning that one would end up losing out. But I don't consider it the case with George's opponent this time. And then in the Second Chance, there were just too many good characters in his grouping (as there were in all groupings). Ah well!

• Advertisement

Ha! I didn't recognise him, but just realised that George lost out to Douglas Reynholm.

quickbeam wrote: »
    Ha! I didn't recognise him, but just realised that George lost out to Douglas Reynholm.

Matt Berry is a super funny and talented man, i even like some of his singing.
    I think toast of london is one of the best things on telly at the moment, if a bit of an acquired taste, not too keen on year of the rabbit.

What we do in the shadows is an amazing series, Matt Berry is perfect for the role, it hasn't run very long and isn't very well known, but man, he is good in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Neither Laszlo nor Douglas Reynholm are Matt Berry's best character, that honor goes to Steven Toast...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Like I dont mind that he was beaten, just hate that he was beaten for the reasons given I suppose. It's best characters, not best shows

Rikand wrote: »
    Like I dont mind that he was beaten, just hate that he was beaten for the reasons given I suppose. It's best characters, not best shows

The problem is giving people a vote in the first place, people vote for silly reasons or to buck the status quo all the time - just look at Trump and Brexit... :D

I do enjoy that there are sometimes agents of chaos in these kinds of tournaments though, as you can never predict what the end result will be (just look at The Simpsons Tournament, I imagine everyone had expected Homer to win the lot)

That said, George Costanza would 100% be in my Top 2 (the other is still in the comp, so won't name names) if not my outright winner, so that match wounded me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

No arrested development characters has wounded me :(

https://youtu.be/NFHZzxga8oI

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    No arrested development characters has wounded me :(

https://youtu.be/NFHZzxga8oI

Lucille is still in it.

Can we swap Lucille for Gob, or Tobias?

Well which one would you want to swap her for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭davetherave

Don't do it.

giphy.gif

Gob preferably.

Gob preferably.

Its not happening of course, no substitutions, I was just curious who you'd opt for of the two.

I also would've chosen Gob between those two

tenor.gif

A good mother would give up her place for her son.

So, Lucille stays!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Can we have both Gobias

https://youtu.be/gQXP7DtIfmI

• Advertisement

d3641c06fd81de0d3e7674aa55abab86723047ef264e0a019eb5f3bbb5034d09.gif

have we tried hair up glasses off?

Before we get in to Round 2, let's take a moment of silence to remember some of the biggest losses from Round 1

kLCA7sb.jpg

:(:(:(:(:(

Back to business now, as we whittle 64 down to 32

The deck has been shuffled, the characters have been assigned new numbers and new matches have been drawn

Round 2 Win Requirements

-First Character to 7 votes or whomever has the most votes after 45 minutes
    -Please include a reason (even a simple one) for your vote to be counted
    -In the event of a Tie, I will cast the deciding vote

Match 1

Can the Caterer compete with the Alien in the first match of Round 2...

Dick Solomon (3rd Rock From The Sun)
    cp42R2Al.jpg

vs

Ron Donald (Party Down)
    sZHIc3gl.jpg

Remember to give a Reason for your vote. Any old reason at all will do.
    First to 7 votes wins or most votes after 45 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Dick Solomon - i have never seen the other one and i have good memories of watching 3rd Rock From The Sun back in the 90s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,288 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The alien dad Dick has to win, funny especially chasing his Mary

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Dick, because who doesn't love John Lithgow (though his best character is in a non-comedy show imo)

I like ken Marino in the other things iv seen him in. 99 and eastbound and down, so I would say I would like him in that.

But if there's one thing I am sure of in this world, it's that I love dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Dick. He was such a selfish git, but also funny.
    When he discovered cigarettes 'I can quit anytime I want- stubs his fag out- see, I've just quit' lights another fag 'and now I've started again' :D

I forget his name but the overweight cop from 3rd rock, the guy who played the crooked programmer in jurassic park was very funny, would have liked to have seen him come up in the mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Lithgow is always fire on screen so Dick for the win here.

• Advertisement

I forget his name but the overweight cop from 3rd rock, the guy who played the crooked programmer in jurassic park was very funny, would have liked to have seen him come up in the mix.

Newman!!!

giphy.gif

The actor is Wayne Knight and his 3rd Rock character was Officer Don, but his greatest roll was of course Newman on Seinfeld!

Advertisement