Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Decide: Greatest Sitcom Character (US & Canada)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Hey Baby, I hear the blues a callin', tossed salads and scrambled eggs... Frasier Crane marches forward with a clean streak, easily defeating Alexis Rose of Schitt's Creek who will progress no further in this competition

Match 7

A Doctor of Medicine taking on a Doctor of Physics in this one...

Dr Perry Cox (Scrubs)
    2ryalsfl.jpg

vs

Dr Sheldon Cooper (The Big Bang Theory)
    44jFQc4l.jpg

Remember to give a Reason for your vote. Any old reason at all will do.
    First to 7 votes wins or most votes after 45 minutes

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Another toughie. But I like Cox.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

giphy.gif

I dunno, it just came up in the gif search. Living Colour the one with Jim Carrey?
    That's it, Jim Carrey as an overly confident gay man :D Great sketch

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Oof, tough draw for Sheldon.

But Dr. Cox is the winner here for me, and here's one of the (many) reasons why:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Dr Cox by a country mile. I fcuking despise that other heap of sh*te. God I hate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Yester

Sheldon. He was a unique character and even though he showed a lack of emotion he was still a more rounded character than Dr. Cox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

quickbeam wrote: »
    Another toughie. But I like Cox.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Perry. For John C Mcginleys acting in the rabies episode

Part of me wants to vote for Sheldon because I think TBBT gets a lot more hate than it deserves; it's far from the greatest comedy ever but it's also far from the worst, it does have some very clever jokes in it and Jim Parson gives a terrific performance.

On the other hand, Dr Cox is too good to not progress. So Cox, please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,290 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I prefer mini Sheldon so Dr. Cox for the win here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Sheldon , just for fun with flags alone

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Dr Cox. Sheldon has gone downhill since the writers tried to make him more normal.

Cox wins and Sheldon says a final farewell before exiting the competition after a 7-2 defeat

giphy.gif

Will get started again at 11am tomorrow morning and we'll get through a fair whack of Round 2 by the end of the day

Was any of Adam Pally characters nominated?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Was any of Adam Pally characters nominated?

No. I almost put Max in as one of the Happy Endings characters, but already had Penny and Alex in it, and just didn't have the space for the three of them. Could easily have put all 6 of the Happy Ending characters in fairness, but the show isn't well known enough with the masses unfortunately.

No. I almost put Max in as one of the Happy Endings characters, but already had Penny and Alex in it, and just didn't have the space for the three of them. Could easily have put all 6 of the Happy Ending characters in fairness, but the show isn't well known enough with the masses unfortunately.

I loved Max on that show, another for a rewatch

It must have been hard to narrow down what characters went in

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I loved Max on that show, another for a rewatch

It must have been hard to narrow down what characters went in

It really was. I wanted to get as much of a spread of characters as possible to try and keep everyone relatively happy while still including a good number of characters from the shows that would have the biggest popular following, which is why I set myself a maximum of 3 from anyone show and at least that way some lesser known series would get a look in as well, even if the characters haven't fared so well.

It was hard to know exactly who to include, because you never know what people have or haven't seen. Schitt's Creek and What We Do In The Shadows, for example, are arguably 2 of the most popular comedies at the moment, but it would seem only 1 or 2 people taking part in the voting have seen them.

Hopefully there's enough characters in there that appeal to everyone who is voting anyway, and at the very least people seem to be inspired to watch one or two of the ones they were unfamiliar with as a result of the tournament, which is great!

Be interesting to run this again in 5 years when soem of those shows might have been seen by more people. Will they be as classic as Friends or Parks & Rec?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Yester

I must defiantly check out What We Do In The Shadows. I had never even heard of it until this comp.

Having a few technical issues. Will get going ASAP. Hopefully won't take more than a few minutes to resolve.

• Advertisement

Sorry about that delay. A slight glitch in the Matrix.

Match 8

Tough decision to kick off Today as two of TV's favourite fathers face-off...

Hal Wilkerson (Malcolm In The Middle)
    7UZ9Yjal.jpg

vs

Red Forman (That '70s Show)
    enZiLSkl.jpg

Remember to give a Reason for your vote. Any old reason at all will do.
    First to 7 votes wins or most votes after 45 minutes

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Red for me. He'd put a foot in Hal's ass for being such a dumbass.

Hal isnt even Cranstons best character.

Hal. Great character, lots of funny scenes. Awful dad (but then Red was hardly going to win awards on that front!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I have to go with Red for his no bullsh!t carry on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Hal, a perfect foil for Lois

I very nearly had to resort to using Edge to post that as Chrome was throwing a massive hissy fit...

I had even gone as far as to actually opening Edge. It was an awful experience.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Hal. It was great seeing him develop into Heisenberg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭davetherave

Hal is nothing without Lois. Red Forman is a all-round great guy. He pretty much adopted Hyde even though he was already doing a second job, or having to do part-time gigs with Bob at Christmas. He is loving husband who dotes on his wife and cares for his children more than he would ever admit. He hangs out with or helps the other kids when they really need it, even if he complains loudly while doing it.
    And there was the scene in the final series where he gave Hyde back all of the rent money he had been paying over the years, for College or Bail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,550 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Hal, for this scene alone

a0606cc71a797857fe63d09d37824796.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Red for me . Dumbass

Advertisement