Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asus geforce gtx970 8pin connector ? My connector is different.

Options
  • 23-04-2020 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi

I got the above graphics card today to install on my machine but don't have the proper connector coming off the PSU.

I currently have a GeForce 9800 GT running off a 6 pin connector, the GTX970 needs an 8 pin.

I do have a spare 8 pin coming from the PSU that has 4 wires running to pwr2 on the motherboard that looked like it would fit if it was long enough but the squares are in different places. See here what my card wants, the 8 pin one PCI-E-power-connectors-in-graphics-card.jpg

So what can I do here, stanley blade & force it in :pac: Sorry I can't find a pic of my connector but lets say the above is pins 1,7 & 8 are square, my cable has 1,4 & 6 square.

Soldering iron, something cheap off amazon or any other suggestions ?

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What PSU have you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

those shapes are on purpose, to prevent you to plug wrong connector into port.
    you should be able to get pci express 6 pin to 8 pin power adapter if don't have one ready along with your card

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Drumorig

ED E, I don't know (the make, model), it's a 600W PSU though I got 2nd hand a few years ago. Probably 2014/15 brand new I'm guessing.
    Like I said, the 8 pin yoke is hanging off spare with a separate 6 pin powering my 9800 so I should have plenty of juice to run it?

Smuggler, I might give that a go, it should work you reckon with the 6 pin I'm currently using for my current graphics card?

OK, I'm replying to myself here, ordering the proper cable costs 10 yoyos I don't really have and takes a week when I'll be hopefully called back to work... So in the meantime what are my options, flux, solder & multimeter at the ready :-)

I should be able to run this off the spare 8 pin yoke that's also feeding off the pwr2 on the motherboard ye?

I'm doing this on a dell vostro 420 with upgraded 600W PSU & graphics card, old ass machine, the goal here is to run GTA 5 so I can cruise around listening to the tunes while the kids are asleep :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I would not recomend DIY job here - you might burn individual components or entire system at once - will cost you much more than tenner and it might take longer to get replacements

https://www.moddiy.com/pages/Power-Supply-Connectors-and-Pinouts.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Drumorig wrote: »
    ED E, I don't know (the make, model), it's a 600W PSU though I got 2nd hand a few years ago. Probably 2014/15 brand new I'm guessing.
    Like I said, the 8 pin yoke is hanging off spare with a separate 6 pin powering my 9800 so I should have plenty of juice to run it?

Smuggler, I might give that a go, it should work you reckon with the 6 pin I'm currently using for my current graphics card?

OK, I'm replying to myself here, ordering the proper cable costs 10 yoyos I don't really have and takes a week when I'll be hopefully called back to work... So in the meantime what are my options, flux, solder & multimeter at the ready :-)
    Soldering a PSU is a good way to get a 10'000V shock to the face.

Don't even consider it.

Take a pic of the PSU & cables so we know what you're on about.
    FYI most 8-pin PCIe connectors I've seen are not moulded into 1 piece.

I ordered the part smuggler recommended, I'll wait on that as recommended.

Cheers lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

The only thing I can think is that it's a second EPS12V connector - for a CPU. Those are keyed differently to prevent you doing exactly what you were thinking of, because it's likely to fry your GPU, and that's best-case. ;)

Advertisement