Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Bravia WiFi, no internet

• 23-04-2020 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    Well I’ve tried everything and am getting nowhere. Bought a new Sony Bravia tv which just will not connect to the internet.
    I have another older Sony Bravia (and several Apple devices) which connect no problem but the new tv won’t connect up. I have Eir fibre broadband with a tp link extender to boost the signal. The tv will connect to internet through mobile phone hotspot connection and through Ethernet cable connected to the tp link.

The tv says software is up to date and I’m thinking it’s a setting on the Eir router that needs to be changed. At this stage I’d happily pay someone who can connect the tv to WiFi.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭65535

Check to see if your WiFi is set to Channel 13 - change it to channel 1 and restest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Checked that thanks, it’s channel 1 for the 2.4GHZ so that doesn’t seem to be the issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭65535

Oh I don't know so - maybe double check the WiFi password -

• Registered Users Posts: 2 killianyoung

Hi Parkrunner - I have the exact same issue. Did you find any solution by any chance? It’s particularly not compatible with Sony Bravia - 49XD8099. My older Sony tv connects without any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Hi Parkrunner - I have the exact same issue. Did you find any solution by any chance? It’s particularly not compatible with Sony Bravia - 49XD8099. My older Sony tv connects without any issues.

Hi Killian, no solution over WiFi anyway. I logged the problem with Sony and have received weekly emails since mid June saying “Please note that the case is still under investigation and we shall update yourself in due course.”

The only solution I could find is a 50 metre LAN cable to plug the tv in directly to the modem. It’s a software issue with the tv though as the same tv worked fine before a software update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 killianyoung

ParkRunner wrote: »
    Hi Killian, no solution over WiFi anyway. I logged the problem with Sony and have received weekly emails since mid June saying “Please note that the case is still under investigation and we shall update yourself in due course.”

The only solution I could find is a 50 metre LAN cable to plug the tv in directly to the modem. It’s a software issue with the tv though as the same tv worked fine before a software update.

Thanks for the update - it’s very surprising that TP-Link doesn’t work. Unfortunately little can be done only escalate with Sony.

If you receive any positive news from Sony, I’d really appreciate if you could update the forum. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

Had a similar issue with wifi dropping out on Sony TV and similar on JVC TVs < 15m from the access point connecting but very low throughput, constant disconnecting reconnecting. My own view is that the wifi cards in the TV's are not great and in the end, Ethernet cable run from the access point to the TVs was the solution to the headache. The basic CAT5 cable which is a lower cost would do the job. If you find you need to repeat this for other TV's and run out of ethernet ports add a passthrough/umanaged switch to your network at the access point for extra ethernet ports, it is a simple process to setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sideview

My Dad had this issue for the last few months with Eir fibre broadband. We were using a ethernet cable as a work around down the hall. Had tried full factory reset and updated firmware again. No success
    This weekend switched out the modem Eir supplied when he upgraded to Fibre back to the older modem and now WiFi is working perfectly on the TV.

Advertisement