Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert 2020 going to Uk

Options
  • 23-04-2020 9:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭

Is there anyone else on here with thoughts how entry to English university /college will work .
    My daughter has her heart set on going and has successfully completed interview for college out there for what she wants .
    Subject to her getting her results , however looks like leaving cert results will be back too late !

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Contact the UK college and ask them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

spurious wrote: »
    Contact the UK college and ask them.

No answers there either . I have asked the principal of her school to contact them as well.
    She’s a repeat student so losing another year is not an option.
    And for her to end up taking something she doesn’t want, all over stupidity of mr McHugh and co is really unforgivable that u have to suffer for rest of your life’s ambitions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Gal2glam

No answers there either . I have asked the principal of her school to contact them as well.
    And for her to end up taking something she doesn’t want, all over stupidity of mr McHugh and co is really unforgivable that u have to suffer for rest of your life’s ambitions.

I don’t think anyone really knows yet, I can’t see colleges starting in September at all though. What course does your daughter want if you don’t mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭helpful

I would say worst case scenario your daughter could just wait a year? I understand she’s a repeat student but I know many people who went back to college later in life and are doing great now.
    I don’t think the Irish school principal would have much sway in a Uk college where they’re probably trying to figure things out the same way we are. I don’t think it’s fair to blame minister McHugh for not predicting a pandemic!! The students who will be attending Irish colleges probably need to be sorted first. Maybe your daughter could look into a level 5 to get a taster for her course if she needs to wait an extra year.

That's a bit ott. It's not much wonder teenagers are under so much pressure when it comes to leaving cert with adults telling them they will suffer for the rest of their lives!!
    It's an exam. If she doesn't get what she wants, she can do something else for a year or so. Tbh, no harm in actually going to work for a few years & then going back with a bit of life experience.
    & it's hardly a politicians fault that there is a worldwide pandemic & international health crisis.....
    Try to keep some perspective

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

bubblypop wrote: »
    That's a bit ott. It's not much wonder teenagers are under so much pressure when it comes to leaving cert with adults telling them they will suffer for the rest of their lives!!
    It's an exam. If she doesn't get what she wants, she can do something else for a year or so. Tbh, no harm in actually going to work for a few years & then going back with a bit of life experience.
    & it's hardly a politicians fault that there is a worldwide pandemic & international health crisis.....
    Try to keep some perspective

Well I want her to take a lot lower entry point for college she wouldn’t be even repeating .
    It’s herself wants this and I’m only doing my best for her .thanks for your input

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Treppen

Is there anyone else on here with thoughts how entry to English university /college will work .
    My daughter has her heart set on going and has successfully completed interview for college out there for what she wants .
    Subject to her getting her results , however looks like leaving cert results will be back too late !

I think colleges in the UK definitely won't want to miss out on funding which foreign students supply, so I'm sure they are going to be making arrangements to accommodate them. Just keep trying the college or UCAS. Also maybe keep up to date with UK education news .

Sign up to TES website in UK. There is a very good discussion forum on there and there's a slight chance you could hit on an answer in time.

But just tell your daughter to plod away with finishing the course in her LC subjects that you'll do the worrying about college for her.

There may be a slim chance she won't get the course in UK this year around so maybe start enquiring about short 1year courses in Ireland. At least it will get her started in her field of interest. Have you tried contacting the school's Career Guidance teacher?

Advertisement