Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Pro - HD on its way out?

Options
  • 23-04-2020 10:52pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Bought a PS4 Pro in Nov 2018. Worked fine until recently.
    Now it has become fierce slow and shuts down without warning quite frequently.
    I’ve done the simple things such as updates (was fine anyhow), rebuild database, factory reset, etc but no joy (it’s just black screened on me there now as I type here)
    Can I safely assume the hard disk is on its way out or might it be something else?
    As its over 12 months it is out of warranty and presumably there’s no point chasing Sony over my statuatory rights and all that.
    If I replace the drive (which appears to be a straightforward process) would the likes of a Seagate Firecuda 2Tb (€112 delivered from Komplett) be ok or is there a better drive for the same money? (Are Komplett even open?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Does sound like it's on the way. Replacing the HDD is straight forward enough, you just need a USB key to download the latest firmware onto. Playstation have their own guide for it: https://www.playstation.com/en-ie/get-help/help-library/system---hardware/storage---data/upgrade-playstation-4-hdd/

Be even better if you have a large enough external drive, you can copy game files over too instead of having to download again.

And as long as the drive is 2.5" SATA it should be ok. "Your choice of replacement hard drive must be no thicker than 9.5mm, otherwise it won't fit in the hard drive enclosure within the PS4. "

I upgraded to a 1Tb SSD and haven't looked back. Didn't increase my storage, but I've found a noticable difference on the PS4 Pro load times. You'll get a 1Tb SSD for the same money if you're not too bothered about storage size.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Cheers. After ordering a Samsung 860 QVO 1TB SSD. Hopefully it available for me to collect on Monday or Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,115 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It's hardly just overheating is it?

Don't think so. I have it in a cabinet with the door open and vent at rear and the unit itself is on three slats to allow air to circulate around.
    Hoping to pick up an SSD later today which should help reduce the heat generated.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,115 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Don't think so. I have it in a cabinet with the door open and vent at rear and the unit itself is on three slats to allow air to circulate around.
    Hoping to pick up an SSD later today which should help reduce the heat generated.

The fans might be full of dust though on the PS4 itself. Might be worth checking.

• Advertisement

Will do, thanks.

Edit: it's spotless inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Not a PS4 Pro query but having issues with sons PS4

Screen going blank. Have followed the trouble shooting tips on the website. Have restored to factory settings, any updates needed, re build the data base etc and nothing.

Bought xmas 2018. Hard to believe its causing this much trouble and not even 18 months old.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

jrosen wrote: »
    Not a PS4 Pro query but having issues with sons PS4

Screen going blank. Have followed the trouble shooting tips on the website. Have restored to factory settings, any updates needed, re build the data base etc and nothing.

Bought xmas 2018. Hard to believe its causing this much trouble and not even 18 months old.

Try a different HDMI cable, just to be sure it's not just the display that's going.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

ive had this alot on my ps4 once i got the new samsung tv. changing hdmi cable did fix the issue, even though it was a good hdmi cable originally.
    Or you can turn off game mode if its a samsung tv.

Just to close off my original query, I replaced the HD with a Samsung SSD (860 QVO) and it's working perfectly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement