Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[ChromeOS] Lenovo IdeaPad Duet Chromebook (2-in-1 Chromebook)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭corkie

Lenovo Chromebook 10e <<< Link

Unboxing & hands-on with the rugged version of the Lenovo Chromebook Duet
    After all, we’re dealing with the same processor, storage and RAM, so the actual use of both devices will feel very similar. While the Duet will come in a 64GB and 128GB variation, the 10e ships with a paltry 32GB, so that is a bit of a bummer.

Additionally, the $250 we dropped on the 10e did not include the keyboard case as the $279 Duet will in the box.

Alternative option for careless teenager use?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

corkie wrote: »
    [ChromeOS] Lenovo IdeaPad Duet Chromebook (2-in-1 Chromebook)

www(.)lenovo(.)com/ie/en/laptops/lenovo/student-chromebooks/Lenovo-CT-X636/p/ZZICZCTCT1X
    Link above without an affiliated link? or also listed on google:-
    www(.)google(.)ie/chromebook/device/lenovo-chromebook-duet/
    Hurrache wrote: »
    Landing page live now.

www(.)lenovo(.)com/ie/en/laptops/lenovo/student-chromebooks/Lenovo-CT-X636/p/ZZICZCTCT1X?clickid=UYFXorUnWxyOT86wUx0Mo3EUUkiz1T01XxQExU0&Program=3830&pid=10078&cid=ie%3Aaffiliate%3Aohssml

Looks good, was set on waiting for the Surface Go 2 but it's tempting.

[Update: ‘Coming soon’] Lenovo’s $299 IdeaPad Duet with Chrome OS goes up for pre-order
    Best Buy listed the 128GB model of IdeaPad Duet for pre-order, for the slightly higher than base model price of $299. According to the listing, the IdeaPad Duet will launch on May 6th, and Chrome Unboxed notes, from having successfully completed a pre-order, that Best Buy expects to actually ship the tablet to its customers on May 11th.

Best Buy has removed the ability to place a pre-order for the IdeaPad Duet. The listing is still live though, with the original May 6th release date still in place.

Not a big increase in price from $279 base 64gb model?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Feic all of a difference between the 2 for anyone to contemplate the smaller one if that's the case.

Didn't realise I grabbed the link with an affiliate within it.

Lenovo Chromebook 10e: -
    We bought and tested the Lenovo Chromebook Duet's Rugged Sibling
    ^^^ Do not buy and wait for Duet

• Advertisement

Lenovo Duet Chromebook Unboxing

[chromeunboxed] Unboxing the Lenovo Chromebook Duet [VIDEO]

[9to5google] Lenovo IdeaPad Duet First Impressions: Is the Chrome OS tablet any good?
    Long story short? The IdeaPad Duet seems pretty good! Three days, though, is just not enough time to form enough opinions and thoughts on this device for a full review. In the next week or so, we’ll be publishing more on the Duet including thoughts about the battery life, keyboard, stylus integration, and more. Stay tuned!

When the full reviews are available, I will post again.

European Pricing ~~ 64GB model coming in at €299.00 and the 128GB at €329.00.

Lenovo IdeaPad Duet Chromebook now available for order in some European markets
    Today, it seems there are three new countries where users can order their very own IdeaPad Chromebook Duet right now and have them shipping in short order: Germany, France, and Netherlands. The configurations are the same as they are here in the US (MediaTek Helio P60T, 4GB RAM, 64/128GB of storage), but none of these new markets have both options available for some reason. .....

..... It does appear that the pricing will stay the same across the board for the EU, with the 64GB model coming in at €299.00 and the 128GB at €329.00. ......

Though the 128GB version isn’t available right this moment, I’d urge most buyers to exercise patience where possible and wait for that upgraded version if possible. 64GB is a decent amount of space on a Chromebook, but getting 128GB for only €30 more just makes good sense.

Key feature missing in the Lenovo Chromebook Duet keeps it from being a true Chromebook replacement
    ^^^ Display resolutions on external display are limited.

Looks like the Lenovo Chromebook Duet won’t get the display output fix we were hoping for

So if your hoping to use the device for productivity hooked up to external monitor and keyboard/mouse etc, think again about purchasing.

Will post unboxed review when published but until then: -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

That's me sold. Think I'll pick one of these when they become available

[Chrome Unboxed] Lenovo Chromebook Duet Review: Unreal Value

[chromeunboxed.com] Lenovo Chromebook Duet Review: unreal value

^^^ If you where not sold already? @Gooey Looey

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Interesting device, next time I know someone heading to the US might well ask them to visit Best Buy for me.

• Advertisement

opus wrote: »
    Interesting device, next time I know someone heading to the US might well ask them to visit Best Buy for me.

Hmmm, Lenovo are Chinese, you'll probably have more chance getting a good deal from Europe than the USA

Available from Currys.co.uk but I'm having difficulty with the site and it doesn't look like they ship to parcel wizard
    https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-duet-10-1-2-in-1-chromebook-mediatek-p60t-128-gb-emcp-blue-grey-10211769-pdt.html

Available from Currys.co.uk but I'm having difficulty with the site and it doesn't look like they ship to parcel wizard
    https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-duet-10-1-2-in-1-chromebook-mediatek-p60t-128-gb-emcp-blue-grey-10211769-pdt.html

Saw that yesterday on Unboxed, didn't even think of using PW/AP/DPD. Would the box be on the large size for them services?

I guess it is only a small time more before it comes available here as well, so can wait.

Saw that yesterday on Unboxed, didn't even think of using PW/AP/DPD. Would the box be on the large size for them services?

I guess it is only a small time more before it comes available here as well, so can wait.

I got a story about that :D
    A good few years ago I found a deal on a 40" TV on Currys uk and told my brother in law. He ordered didn't regiser, shipped to DPD parcel wizard. It was delivered by DPD. I think there was a nominal oversized fee can't remember the cost. On opening we noticed there was slight damage to the plastic bezel, the TV still worked fine. He rang them up, they shipped a second TV but never arranged for return. They had his email, his phone number and Parcel Wizard address!

Tried address pal, it pulled the address correctly but didn't like my 35386####### phone number so gave up on it.

Should your item be oversize, we will contact you and your item will be available for collection from a Delivery Service Unit subject to a fee of €25. Items over the Home Delivery dimensions or over 20kg in weight will be refused and returned to sender.

blue_box.png

https://addresspal.anpost.ie/pricing-sizing

Managed to buy on the curry's ebay store

Look at this on eBay
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114281945216

I got an email that it shipped earlier this morning. Should be landing at parcel Wizard tomorrow so I expect to have it Monday

It arrived today. some yoke, I'm delighted with it. It's a quality build, is the perfect size and has a lovely finish, as a tab it's lovely to hold in the hand. I'm not used to chromeOS so have a lot to get my head around. It has the Play store and any app I've tried is available for it but any that were already pre-installed are desktop ChromeOS apps so that will be the ones I'll look for first. I'm a linux only user at home so will eventually install Crouton on it to turn it into a full linux distro, not done this yet and I think it requires unlocking the bootloader which will wipe it, I'll play for a few days first

I'm a linux only user at home so will eventually install Crouton on it to turn it into a full linux distro,

Why are you going the Full distro step? When I all you have to do is enable developer mode {will wipe the device (I think)}. And install any linux apps you require.

[chromeunboxed] Yes, the Lenovo Chromebook Duet will run Linux apps
    The project to bring Crostini to ARM devices actually started way back in 2018 and we saw the first signs of support near the end of that year. Fast forward to 2020 and Linux apps are available to all older MediaTek devices such as the Lenovo Flex 11 and the Acer Chromebook R13 as well as RockChip Chromebooks like the Acer Tab 10. On top of that, Google has gone so far to say that all devices released from here on out would support Linux applications. For good measure, I went ahead and installed GIMP, Inkscape and Blender on the Duet Chromebook and I’m happy to report that they all worked as well as you’d expect. That is to say, they ran and will work. You do have to keep in mind that this is a low-powered device in comparison to something like the Core i7 ASUS Spin 13. Personally, I don’t see myself using Linux on the Duet very much but perhaps there are some that want to use the tablet as their primary device and they need that “one” application to bring everything together. Well, you can do just that. I hope that someone finds this information useful because I was happy to share it.

As it is a closed source device, I don't think you can flash alternative roms on it?

Edit: - [chromeunboxed] Install this Linux App Store on your Chromebook for easy one-click installs

64gb version available on Irish Lenovo site. € 329.99 Only a few left Out of stock

^^^ I'm waiting for the 128gb version.

• Advertisement

After a few days I've figured I have no need for linux software, I can do all I need with the ChromeOS linux terminal, Juicessh and Andftp Android apps

It arrived today. some yoke, I'm delighted with it. It's a quality build, is the perfect size and has a lovely finish, as a tab it's lovely to hold in the hand. I'm not used to chromeOS so have a lot to get my head around. It has the Play store and any app I've tried is available for it but any that were already pre-installed are desktop ChromeOS apps so that will be the ones I'll look for first. I'm a linux only user at home so will eventually install Crouton on it to turn it into a full linux distro, not done this yet and I think it requires unlocking the bootloader which will wipe it, I'll play for a few days first

After months of use, how is the tablet performing since?

See that currys have the 128gb in stock.
    https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-duet-10-1-2-in-1-chromebook-mediatek-p60t-128-gb-emcp-blue-grey-10211769-pdt.html

Yeah, still love it and use it daily. It's pretty much replaced my Linux laptop as my house device. The battery lasts forever, I charge it weekly. As a small factor ChromeOS laptop it's perfect but it's a little disjointed between tablet mode and ChromeOS laptop mode which I was a little disappointed with, this is something Google really need to work on. I bought is to use in hotels when staying away working, but with Covid this hasn't been happening. I'm running the ChromeOS beta, I changed to it early on to fix a few issues and have never went back to stable. This means I have a few extra security steps to boot, but I rarely shutdown. I just do a restart every few days for updates and leave it in standby in between as the battery is awesome.

Thanks @Gooey Looey.

Just put in an order today, 20% of black Friday code
    DISCOUNT CODE: 20% Off selected Chromebook.
    Enter code CBOOK20 at checkout Must end soon!
    ^^^ They had a different code yesterday, that was reducing the price to zero in error.

So for the 128gb version @ €335.20 seems like a very good price.

Also ordered this with it: -
    ADVENT AMHBCPD19 5-port USB Type-C Connection Hub €79.99

u_10189112.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

Thanks Corkie, been looking for one of these in 128gb for a while. 20% off is the icing on the cake.

Currys took a while to get the order through, four or five tries to get payment taken.

Looks like the 'Lenovo IdeaPad Duet' 128gb is no longer available to order.

My Duet arrived today, had a quick testing use of it.

The adapter above also worked to connect TV by HDMI to it. Don't know what resolution I was getting. Extended desktop mode.

Will be switching to developer mode tonight, because it requires a factory reset. And don't want to install stuff and have it be deleted later.

[amazon.de] Broonel Grey rechargeable USI pen - compatible with the Lenovo Duet Chromebook
    €53.99 inclusive of shipping.
    Micro USB charging port
    Buttons on the pen may not work at present.

A new rechargeable USI stylus from Broonel has hit the market

51V1pbe7wYL._AC_SX569_.jpg

Just ordered the above, (Arriving 9 Dec - 16 Dec).

These seem something that is hard to purchase, I tried searching for more popular brands as well. The amazon reviews sounded positive when paired with the duet.

Progress on the duet
    • Changed to developer mode & Beta channel.
    • Activated linux + Installed Gimp + LibreOffice.
    • Watched some youtube/newpipe in Extended desktop, sound + display quality was fine on my old Philips 32" TV.
    • LOW Wattage Pass through power on USB C adapter + SD Cards are readable with Solid Explorer app.
      ^^^ Edit: - Thought the warning was my power-bank and not the adapter

First Negative hurdle.
    I have a Ravpower Filehub and the android app doesn't work on Chromebooks.
    What harm can still access media from it through a browser.

I know they was going to be limitations with Chrome OS, and there is a learning curve getting used to the OS.

• Advertisement

How are you finding it now corkie? Now that you're used to it.

Advertisement