Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reproduction number and increase of incidence?

• 23-04-2020 11:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭

So they say now that the reproduction number is between 0.5 - 0.8, but that there have been 936 new cases today.. I don't get that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Sporadic test results back I think bulks up some days count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

i don't get it at all...

i would love to know how many people in ireland live alone - cos if the repro no is 0.5/0.8, wouldn't that imply that there are alot of people who live alone?

i imagine that people who get it and houses share - with who ever, that the people they live with will get it too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

sporina wrote: »
    i don't get it at all...

i would love to know how many people in ireland live alone - cos if the repro no is 0.5/0.8, wouldn't that imply that there are alot of people who live alone?

i imagine that people who get it and houses share - with who ever, that the people they live with will get it too?
    They are testing all nursing homes at present so not an unexpected rise. Community transmission, they have been saying, is close to zero.

is_that_so wrote: »
    They are testing all nursing homes at present so not an unexpected rise. Community transmission, they have been saying, is close to zero.

does community transmission include those you live with?

i dunno why they keep throwing these stats at us.. means v little on the ground as far as i can see.. and there is defo a lapse in compliance to the restrictions.. everyone can see that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

does community transmission include those you live with?

i dunno why they keep throwing these stats at us.. means v little on the ground as far as i can see.. and there is defo a lapse in compliance to the restrictions.. everyone can see that..
    The journalists demanded them really! Community is everywhere outside of hospitals etc.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The numbers of positive tests has always been driven by who they are testing and the number of tests they are doing. It does not reflect the numbers actually infected.

A positive result is helpful in trying to reduce the risk of spread particularly in hospitals and care homes. However based on work done in certain other countries the actual number of positives is likely to be a multiple of the numbers who have tested positive.

I think they were saying they were still testing 1,500 to 2,000 a day at the regular test centres, but they are also now testing more healthcare professionals and those in care homes. I presume that means their overall testing numbers are increasing which we can expect to result in more people being confirmed and not necessarily more being infected

there are a lot of people not complying to the measures.. and when they hear that the repro no is so low, they prob think "awe sure i wasn't complying and the repro no is low, so whats the point of restrictions?"

not saying thats what I think - but some of my mates are of this opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

there are a lot of people not complying to the measures.. and when they hear that the repro no is so low, they prob think "awe sure i wasn't complying and the repro no is low, so whats the point of restrictions?"

not saying thats what I think - but some of my mates are of this opinion

Very poor compliance locally in mayo and to be honest, i can only see a free for all after last nights news report re northern cars having a free pass to do as they wish.
    Its very annoying. Im on lockdown since schools closed, only going to supermarket yet many are mixing in houses, travelling to distant towns etc - making very little effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Podge201

Lots of people who got it and carried on with their life as normal by working away and never did test or isolate.

Advertisement