Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Working remotely from NI

• 24-04-2020 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi I will be employed by a company in the Republic but live in Northern Ireland.

Because of coronavirus employees are working from home so I will be living in NI and working remotely from home for the foreseeable. The company is based in ROI and if restrictions are lifted I imagine I will be working back in their office.

Just from a social security point of view, if for instance I was sick, would I still be entitled to claim benifit in ROI or does working remotely change this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You would be classed as a 'frontier worker' for tax and certain other purposes.

As you would be paying PRSI, not National Insurance, certain things that you would benefit from would be based on Irish entitlements, while others would be based on UK entitlements.

If this is your first time paying PRSI, you might have very few Irish entitlements.

The government has said the Pandemic Unemployment Payment will only apply to people living in the Republic, but you should check the fine print.

This might be a goo start: https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/covid19_overview.html

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Ardgorm

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I have recently moved to NI and have always worked in ROI up until this year so I have paid a lot of PRSI over the years.

I was wondering if the fact I'm working remotely now from NI would change my entitlements that I would usually be entitled to as a frontier worker.

My concern is I'm pregnant and was just wondering then if god forbid I am sick in relation to that and also for maternity benifit, would I still be able to claim these from ROI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭lughildanach

Ardgorm wrote: »
    Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I have recently moved to NI and have always worked in ROI up until this year so I have paid a lot of PRSI over the years.

I was wondering if the fact I'm working remotely now from NI would change my entitlements that I would usually be entitled to as a frontier worker.

My concern is I'm pregnant and was just wondering then if god forbid I am sick in relation to that and also for maternity benifit, would I still be able to claim these from ROI

I imagine that your place of employment is still considered in the State and you are still subject to Irish PRSI. If so, then you continue to be eligible for the same PRSI based payments as before.

You may no longer meet the strict criteria to be considered a frontier worker as you are not crossing the border on a weekly basis, but I imagine flexibility on this would be shown if necessary. In any event, it won't effect your Maternity Benefit which is paid by the State of employment rather than state of residence in any event (same for Illness Benefit, if required).

Rules for Child Benefit and other Family Benefits are more complicated, but you can generally claim Child Benefit from Ireland if you are in Irish insurable employment (which you seem to be), although if you have a partner/spouse who works in UK, the country of residence is responsible for Child Benefit.

If your job was to be terminated because of COVID, you wouldn't be eligible for Pandemic Unemployment Payment, but could still apply for Jobseekers Benefit from Ireland if you meet the criteria for payment. Thankfully you don't seem to be in that position.

Advertisement