Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boardsies Greatest Cover Song - Live Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Alien ant Farm
    Guns n roses

Please give a reason for your votes to count. Anything will do

No Doubt - It's My Life
    The better song and the better cover.

Joan Jett - I Love Rock n Roll
    Great rendition of this song (far superior to Britney's effort) and I'm not the biggest fan of Axl Rose's voice (he had a phenomenal range for sure, but technical ability doesn't always mean 'pleasing to listen to'!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Kolido wrote: »
    Please give a reason for your votes to count. Anything will do

At this stage, it could be crucial!

Johnny Cash - Hurt [2002] 7- 4 Muse - Feeling Good [2001]

Alien Ant Farm - Smooth Criminal 4 -7 No Doubt - It's My Life [2003]
    Guns 'N' Roses - Live and Let Die 5 6 Joan Jett - I Love Rock N Roll [1982]

R4/Match 7

Nirvana - Where Did You Sleep Last Night [1993]
    ...Originally recorded by Lead Belly [1950s]

Vs

Echo and the Bunnymen - People Are Strange [1987]
    ...Originally recorded by The Doors [1967]

R4/Match 8

Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World [1993]
    ...Originally recorded by David Bowie [1970]

Vs

Joe Cocker - With a little help from my friends [1968]
    ...Originally recorded by The Beatles [1967]

Nirvana - Where Did You Sleep Last Night Vs Echo and the Bunnymen - People Are Strange
    Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World Vs Joe Cocker - With a little help from my friends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Echo and the Bunnymen - People Are Strange ; love both and usually I'd nearly always opt for Nirvana, but just love this version of People Are Strange

Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World ; tough call but sticking with my own nomination here

Nirvana - Where Did You Sleep Last Night Vs Echo and the Bunnymen - People Are Strange - Wonderfully folky feel plus I don't like Ian McCoullogh's delivery of the other song!

Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World Vs Joe Cocker - With a little help from my friends - Tough one, but my gut tells me to go with this wonderful semi-acoustic cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

7. Nirvana - Where Did You Sleep Last Night Vs Echo and the Bunnymen - People Are Strange
    8. Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World Vs Joe Cocker - With a little help from my friends

Two very tough match-ups. Voting for Nirvana in the final match as I nominated this one. And Echo & The Bunnymen just get the nod in the other match for a bit of variety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Nirvana - Where Did You Sleep Last Night Vs Echo and the Bunnymen - People Are Strange
    Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World Vs Joe Cocker - With a little help from my friends

The first one I like both but don't want to vote Nirvana twice.
    The second Nirvana is just class - plus I don't like Joe Cocker that much

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Irish Aris might not vote Nirvana twice but I sure will! Love both songs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Echo and the Bunnymen - People Are Strange. Tough call this, but marginally prefer this one.

Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World. The better interpretation of the song in question imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Nirvana - Where Did You Sleep Last Night [this is getting difficult now, Nirvana because I nearly wore this album out over the years]
    Joe Cocker - With a little help from my friends [Amazing voice. He would have been much bigger only for mental health problems]

Nirvana - Where Did You Sleep Last Night prefer the doors original people are strange

Joe Cocker - With a little help from my friends
    Can't have 2 unplugged nirvana songs. Prefer their original stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Gru

Nirvana - Where Did You Sleep Last Night
    Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World

because Nirvana for the final! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Joan Jett in the other match to decide it. Prefer it to GNR

Nirvana in the first match. Don't think EATB did an awful lot to make People are Strange their own.
    Joe Cocker - Because he did make this his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

Nirvana- The Man who sold the world: because hearing it on mtv is possibly my earliest memory in life and even at 3 years I was mesmerized by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

According to boards.ie there hasnt been a decent cover version in 17 years at least. That's an awful indictment on the music industry

Now that Gemma has gone to the big Cover Version Heaven in the sky and with it my last hope, I cna reveal, the version I submitted was actually this one.

Probably wouldnt have done as well :D

Alien Ant Farm - Smooth Criminal 4 7 No Doubt - It's My Life [2003]
    Guns 'N' Roses - Live and Let Die 5 7 Joan Jett - I Love Rock N Roll [1982]
    Nirvana - Where Did You Sleep Last Night [1993] 6 4 Echo and the Bunnymen - People Are Strange [1987]
    Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World [1993] 7 1 Joe Cocker - With a little help from my friends

Almost at the quarter finals, do we really need 2 Nirvana songs there :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

People Are Strange - like it. Not a fan of Nirvana, there, I said it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Nirvana - Where Did You Sleep Last Night because yes we need two Nirvana songs

Rikand wrote: »
    According to boards.ie there hasnt been a decent cover version in 17 years at least. That's an awful indictment on the music industry

Now that Gemma has gone to the big Cover Version Heaven in the sky and with it my last hope, I cna reveal, the version I submitted was actually this one.

Probably wouldnt have done as well :D

I like that remix. :)

The only reason I would vote for that is because of the picture

Kolido wrote: »

Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World [1993] 7 1 Joe Cocker - With a little help from my friends

Almost at the quarter finals, do we really need 2 Nirvana songs there :)

It does not matter to me, as I voted for Nirvana, but, just looking back at the votes, did Joe Cocker not get 2 votes before Nirvana got their 7? Just for the sake of accuracy and for those who voted for him.

Nirvana - Where Did You Sleep Last Night [1993] 7 5 Echo and the Bunnymen - People Are Strange [1987]
    Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World [1993] 7 2 Joe Cocker - With a little help from my friends

• Advertisement

Quarter Finals

First to 7 votes
    Please give a reason for your votes

Tracklist

Johnny Cash - Hurt
    Communards - Don't Leave Me This Way
    Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower
    Soft Cell - Tainted Love
    No Doubt - It's My Life
    Joan Jett - I Love Rock N Roll

QF/Match 1

Communards - Don't Leave Me This Way [1986]
    ...Originally recorded by Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes [1975]

Vs

Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World [1993]
    ...Originally recorded by David Bowie [1970]

QF/Match 2

Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower [1968]
    ...Originally recorded by Bob Dylan [1968]

Vs

Nirvana - Where Did You Sleep Last Night [1993]
    ...Originally recorded by Lead Belly [1950s]

Communards - Don't Leave Me This Way Vs Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World
    Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower Vs Nirvana - Where Did You Sleep Last Night

1. Communards - Don't Leave Me This Way Vs Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World
    2. Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower Vs Nirvana - Where Did You Sleep Last Night

My two remaining nominations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

F*** it just gonna double down on Nirvana for these two...

Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World ; one of my nominations and the best cover left in the competition

Nirvana - Where Did You Sleep Last Night ; as much as I enjoy All Along The Watchtower, and Where Did You Sleep Last Night used to be a staple of the end of the night sing along at the house parties of a certain group of friends

Kolido wrote:
    Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World [1993] ...Originally recorded by David Bowie [1970]

Kolido wrote:
    Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower [1968] ...Originally recorded by Bob Dylan [1968]

Better songs in both cases imo.

• Advertisement

Communards - Don't Leave Me This Way Vs Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World- Wonderful cover of a David Bowie song. Vocals suit the laid back arrangement.

Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower Vs Nirvana - Where Did You Sleep Last Night - Tough one, this. In the end, I will go for this wonderful mix of psychedelic rock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Nirvana - The man who sold the world. For taking a great song putting their own twist on it and introducing Bowie to a new generation.
    Jimi Hendrix - All along the Watchtower. For having the balls and talent to make a Dylan song better ( done similar with "Like a rolling stone" too).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World The best cover by far left in the competition

Nirvana - Where Did You Sleep Last Night Mainly because I'm not a Hendrix fan - not Nirvana's best song at all but better than the Hendrix one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Gru

because Nirvana??? :D

honestly the man who sold the world because i also nominated it, and Where did you sleep last night because its a great song, and neither song deserves to be knocked out because they are from the same band...

In both cases it's just down to really good live performances.

Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World, excellent cover of the original

Nirvana - Where Did You Sleep Last Night, I associate Nirvana with this song more than Leadbelly

Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World - just always loved this.
    Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower - prefer Hendrix to the original.

Communards - Don't Leave Me This Way [1986] 0 7 Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World [1993]
    Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower 5 5 Nirvana - Where Did You Sleep Last Night [1993]

The Communards have left us this way without a single vote, still all to play for in match 2

Cannot stand the squeaking squealing voice of Jimmy whatever

Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower
    Cos we don't need 2 nirvana songs, when they are not nirvana songs

bubblypop wrote: »
    Cos we don't need 2 nirvana songs, when they are not nirvana songs

Firstly, it's a covers competition! None of these songs are originally from the band or artist that are performing them.

Secondly, that doesn't mean its not their song, they've put their own stamp on the covers and made it their own.

Just sayin' :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Jimi. I prefer it to that Nirvana cover.

Communards - Don't Leave Me This Way [1986] 0 7 Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World [1993]
    Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower 7 5 Nirvana - Where Did You Sleep Last Night [1993]

QF/Match 3

Soft Cell - Tainted Love [1982]
    ...Originally recorded by Gloria Jones [1964]

Vs

Joan Jett - I Love Rock N Roll [1982]
    ...Originally recorded by Arrows [1975]

QF/Match 4

Johnny Cash - Hurt [2002]
    ...Originally recorded by Nine Inch Nails [1995]

Vs

No Doubt - It's My Life [2003]
    ...Originally recorded by Talk Talk [1984]

Soft Cell - Tainted Love Vs Joan Jett - I Love Rock N Roll
    Johnny Cash - Hurt Vs No Doubt - It's My Life

Firstly, it's a covers competition! None of these songs are originally from the band or artist that are performing them.

Secondly, that doesn't mean its not their song, they've put their own stamp on the covers and made it their own.

Just sayin' :rolleyes:

I get it's a covers comp.
    Personally prefer their own music to their covers of other songs.
    The whole unplugged was just to samey samey for me.
    Grand & all, but nothing outstanding

While Jimi Hendrix version of the Dylan song was a great cover.

Soft Cell - Tainted Love Vs Joan Jett - I Love Rock N Roll - Catchy electronic cover that still maintains some soul, plus I hate the other!

Johnny Cash - Hurt Vs No Doubt - It's My Life - Tough, as I was getting to like the other, but I have to go for this haunting delivery of this song.

Soft Cell - Tainted Love Vs Joan Jett - I Love Rock N Roll
    Cannot decide this yet..... Will come back if I need to.

Johnny Cash - Hurt
    Even better then the original

Joan Jett - I Love Rock N Roll ; sticking with my nomination here and Marilyn Manson probably has the best Tainted Love cover anyway

No Doubt - It's My Life ; again sticking by my nomination. Like both these songs anyway, but prefer It's My Life, even though I fear I'll probably be in the minority on this one.

Kolido wrote:
    Joan Jett - I Love Rock N Roll [1982] ...Originally recorded by Arrows [1975]

Kolido wrote:
    Johnny Cash - Hurt [2002] ...Originally recorded by Nine Inch Nails [1995]

Votes above, better songs in the battles imo.

Joan Jett - I Love Rock N Roll. Tough call, but have to go with my nomination.

Johnny Cash - Hurt. Not my favourite Johnny Cash song, but I really don't like the other one at all.

• Advertisement

3. Soft Cell - Tainted Love Vs Joan Jett - I Love Rock N Roll - Really like both of these so wouldn't mind too much if Joan got through but I just prefer Tainted Love that little bit more - I've a soft spot for good old 80s synth.

4. Johnny Cash - Hurt Vs No Doubt - It's My Life - Not a huge fan of the No Doubt song. Cash's version is far better than the original in my opinion. Sounds very personal to im as if he'd written it himself. Definitely made it his own.

Advertisement