Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cat help

• 24-04-2020 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

Ok so about 4 weeks ago we started feeding a stray cat . Very friendly , wormed her and all been grand . We have her outside . We had issues with male cats at night so we made a more secure shelter and yeah cat was happy out .
    About 4 days ago she’s had a runny nose , sore throat ( no meow) , sneezing. She’s incredibly bad today. We let her sleep in the house last two nights . Syringed her some water and she’s been drinking water by herself now . But she’s just lying there, fairly stinky from no grooming.

Can’t get to a vet with things . Anyone have any advice , I feel like she’s suffering and I’m just at a loss

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

ArtyC wrote: »
    Ok so about 4 weeks ago we started feeding a stray cat . Very friendly , wormed her and all been grand . We have her outside . We had issues with male cats at night so we made a more secure shelter and yeah cat was happy out .
    About 4 days ago she’s had a runny nose , sore throat ( no meow) , sneezing. She’s incredibly bad today. We let her sleep in the house last two nights . Syringed her some water and she’s been drinking water by herself now . But she’s just lying there, fairly stinky from no grooming.

Can’t get to a vet with things . Anyone have any advice , I feel like she’s suffering and I’m just at a loss

The cat needs a vet ASAP I wouldn’t wait .. why can’t you get to a vet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Could be cat flu and she sounds severely hydrated. Happened to our cat and she had to be on a drip for the day. Vets are open for emergencies, this is 100% an emergency.

Cat should also be neutered as well if not already done, to prevent kittens, especially as you mentioned males hanging around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Could be cat flu and she sounds severely hydrated. Happened to our cat and she had to be on a drip for the day. Vets are open for emergencies, this is 100% an emergency.

Cat should also be neutered as well if not already done, to prevent kittens, especially as you mentioned males hanging around.

Just saw this thread. Now I don't know much about cats but now you mention cat flu hasn't there been a case of cats getting covid-19. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/two-pet-cats-test-positive-covid-19-n1189841 .I'd be getting rid of it straight away if I were you. Just in case

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Just saw this thread. Now I don't know much about cats but now you mention cat flu hasn't there been a case of cats getting covid-19. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/two-pet-cats-test-positive-covid-19-n1189841 .I'd be getting rid of it straight away if I were you. Just in case

Rid of it?
    Seriously?

A vet trip is necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Can’t afford a vet right now . She’s drinking water .

• Advertisement

Can’t afford a vet right now . She’s drinking water .

Then perhaps contact a rescue and see if they can take her. I respect you don't have the funds, but the cat shouldn't be left to suffer either.

Absolutely don’t want her to suffer . I’ll do that

I’ve contacted cat rescue & she’s gone down to drink and back to the hot water bottle . Thanks guys

Thats good. Hopefully she brightens up by herself, but you just never know with cats. There's no cure for cat flu, just managing the symptoms till it passes, so keeping her hydrated is super important.

So cat rescue happy to pay the vets , she’ll be seen tomo morning . Earliest app I could get . Thanks for the advice guys . Much appreciated .

• Advertisement

So cat rescue happy to pay the vets , she’ll be seen tomo morning . Earliest app I could get . Thanks for the advice guys . Much appreciated .

Wow that’s brilliant x wish her a speedy recovery.. also ask them to help in getting her spayed (if not already)

Best of luck

Any update on the cat?

Cat had to be put down, she had FIP. Incredibly sad, she was in a bad shape when we found her. Thought she’d turned a corner .
    Cat would bound up to see us, and look for belly rubs- grateful for the help we got- just devastated it was this result .

I have two other pets, not cats- I haven’t much cat experience- but I don’t see me getting anymore pets for a good while. It’s just too painful to make these decisions x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I'm really sorry that was the outcome. I'm glad she found someone so caring and her last days were ones where she was well minded and taken care of.

Advertisement