Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vodafone Gigabox using insecure file sharing protocol

• 24-04-2020 10:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭

I plugged a hard drive into my Gigabox as I wanted to make my media folder accessible on all of the devices on my network.

When I try to access the share on Windows 10 it tells me that it can't access as the share is using SMB1. SMB1 is old and deprecated and insecure.

Does anybody know if the Gigabox can be upgraded to SMB2.

I know I can enable SMB1 on Windows 10 but that's going backwards and I don't want to do it. SMB1 was exploited by ransomware to spread (e.g. Wannacry) which is probably why it's not enabled anymore in Windows 10.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

What is your Gigabox firmware version and version of Samba module?

From Web interface:
    Status&Support>>About

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭timetogo1

What is your Gigabox firmware version and version of Samba module?

From Web interface:
    Status&Support>>About

It's firmware XS_3.4.14.11

The SAMBA Module is 3.0.37

The router is about a year and a half old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

timetogo1 wrote: »
    It's firmware XS_3.4.14.11

The SAMBA Module is 3.0.37

The router is about a year and a half old.

To be honest, asking only out of curiosity - Samba server could potentially be updated with Vodafone's firmware update, but I don't see Vodafone doing it. You can call and ask them.
    Last i checked SAMBA 3.0.37 - from ~2003

Use other means for sharing your media on network like NAS box, Media server, etc

Advertisement