Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Installing new roman blinds - problem

• 24-04-2020 12:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

I've just taken delivery of a few roman blinds, inside the recess ones, and wanted to try setting one up. I followed the instructions, started drilling the first hole and discovered that, after about 20mm, I hit steel, and can't drill any further. I'm presuming the steel is some sort of support within the window frame but I'd no idea it was there.

The wall plugs and screws that came with the blinds are 30mm, so I've no way of getting them in there. What I need is 20mm wall plugs and screws that will support the blinds (I think this is what I need anyway) but I'm really struggling to find the right kind.

Does that sound about right or can anyone recommend an alternative? The blinds were made to measure so I can't return them :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Can you fix them to the sides of the windows, post a few pictures of the fittings and the end of the blinds.
    In passing what is unique about Roman blinds.
    Yes its a steel lentil and 20 mm fixings wont hold

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

No the blinds have to be fitted to the top of the recess. This is a picture of the fittings (not a great one mind you);

Clip.png

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

Is face fixing directly to window frame possible? If not, why not?

Phoenix3 wrote: »
    Is face fixing directly to window frame possible? If not, why not?

I didn't think I could do that, but looking at the mounts it should be possible. The blind will be quite close to the window though, and may be somewhat impeded by the handle n the top window - I'll do a test run with it and see. It might not be a big deal anyway, and certainly better than wasting my money!

Would I need special screws or would the same ones work?

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

The bracket in picture is dual purpose and can be face fixed. Beware of handles,as you say and more importantly beware of alarm sensors.You can also use extension brackets to bring them out from frame to clear any such sensors.I have extension brackets here which you are welcome to FOC if needed.

Where are you located?

Are window frames timber?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Doop

Can you install the blind above the window head? by sounds of it you are installing it within the reveal and hitting the lintel?
    Alternatively glue a piece of timber with no more nails or some such product and install the blind fixings onto it.

Phoenix3 wrote: »
    The bracket in picture is dual purpose and can be face fixed. Beware of handles,as you say and more importantly beware of alarm sensors.You can also use extension brackets to bring them out from frame to clear any such sensors.I have extension brackets here which you are welcome to FOC if needed.

Where are you located?

Are window frames timber?

That's very generous of you though I live in the UK. How far out do the brackets go? Is this (link) like what you have? The window frames are pvc or aluminium, I'm not sure which one - not wood anyway.
    Doop wrote: »
    Can you install the blind above the window head? by sounds of it you are installing it within the reveal and hitting the lintel?
    Alternatively glue a piece of timber with no more nails or some such product and install the blind fixings onto it.

Unfortunately tthey're recess blinds and fitted specifically for inside the recess. The bit of wood might work though and it wouldn't have to be particularly visible either. I'll check that out too.

Advertisement