Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Access

Options
  • 24-04-2020 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

I am currently working from home but my home fixed broadband is not sufficient often cutting out. My download speeds at roughly 1.5Mbsp and upload speeds are very low at 0.16Mbsp. I am on a basic PAYG package myself but rather leave it the way it is as I am only looking for a short term solution.

I am wondering what options are available to me in the short term to help me complete my work in terms of perhaps mobile internet as a pay as you go customer?

I don't want to get tied up with a contract. I found an old Vodafone R209-Z Mobile Wi-Fi here at home but it appears to have only 3G capabilities otherwise I have an old mobile phone which I was thinking of using as a hotspot as most of my work needs to be completed on a laptop.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions that would enable me to get up and running pretty quickly. I do have a spare Vodafone Sim lying around.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

How much data do you need?

Vodafone X has 30GB per 4 weeks for 20e that can be used in a phone as a hotspot but you need to check that the APN can be set to live.Vodafone.com

What plan are you currently on?

Check the spare Vodafone SIM is still active as they go inactive after 8 months of no top up.

Depending on what applications are used, 3G might be sufficient, live streaming video calls mightn't work well but anytbing else should be OK unless there's large file transfers involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭karkar athlete

I really don't know how much I'll be using to be honest. I have to open, edit and re-upload files constantly on a site. It is the re-uploading that is most infuriating :mad: as I just have to sit and wait.

I saw that Vodafone X deal and was considering it. I am on an old plan where you top up by €20 get free VtoV calls and texts and keep the €20. If I switch to Vodafone X or any other plan I can't go back to my current plan. I don't be using my phone a huge amount at the best of times so wouldn't be topping up every month. I am looking into purchasing a data add on for myself on my own number but just need to make sure it works for hot spot.

Anyone know if a 15GB data add on for vodafone works as a hotspot?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Don't see any 15GB add on, there's a 5GB add on for 15e.

Is the spare SIM still alive? If so then use that for Vodafone X (or buy a new SIM online). There is also a mobile broadband PAYG plan with 20GB for 20e lasting 4 weeks (that uses a different APN) and will work on the spare SIM in the R209. Check the R209's APN settings to see if they're editable so that there's an option of X (30GB) or PAYG broadband (20GB).

The 5GB add on will work if the APN can be set & kept at the Live APN. Check the APN settings on the phone also to see if they can be user set, newer Androids (8+) and Iphones may be a problem with hotspot but earlier Androids should work fine.

It's all about the APN.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I really don't know how much I'll be using to be honest. I have to open, edit and re-upload files constantly on a site. It is the re-uploading that is most infuriating :mad: as I just have to sit and wait.

I saw that Vodafone X deal and was considering it. I am on an old plan where you top up by €20 get free VtoV calls and texts and keep the €20. If I switch to Vodafone X or any other plan I can't go back to my current plan. I don't be using my phone a huge amount at the best of times so wouldn't be topping up every month. I am looking into purchasing a data add on for myself on my own number but just need to make sure it works for hot spot.

Anyone know if a 15GB data add on for vodafone works as a hotspot?
    You know you can check on your phone in settings ->Data usage ?

Advertisement