Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from AH for 24 hours (Purge thread)

Options
  • 24-04-2020 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭

I would like to appeal my ban and have the card/offence taken off my account. Have already tried reasoning with the mod in question.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113251855&postcount=550
    Above is the post I was banned for. I believe in the context of the thread, ie slagging and trying to come across as the "bad guy" in order to gain votes and win, this post should and would have been allowed without action, were it not for a mod stepping in where he/she was not needed.

<link removed>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Good afternoon Deebles McBeebles,

as you've already initiated conversation with the moderator in question, I'll let the Cmods know. However, please do not link to feedback threads again - it's not up to other posters to argue your point for you here.

I deleted your last post, because this really isn't something that's up for debate. I have made the Cmods aware of your thread - please be patient while one of them gets back to you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Hi Deebles
    I can look at this for you. The first step in the process is to ensure that adequate efforts were made to resolve things with the mod in question.
    Please provide me with the pm exchange between the 2 of you. You can post it here or send to me by PM.

Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

In the process of forwarding all messages. I notice the card is not showing up on my account. Is this because I was banned before getting a warning or card?

Your account was never carded in so far that I can see. You received a one day ban from After Hours.

• Advertisement

Thanks folks. I can see that now, the mod in question could easily have told me that at the start of this but lead me to believe I had been carded.

I didn't care about the ban, who would care about a 24 hour ban? I was under the impression I had been carded and did not want a permanent black mark on my account for something I feel was totally unjust and unwarranted. Can one of you confirm that this will not show up to mods who have cause to check my account in the future?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

A ban is visible and is a higher sanction than a card.

In that case I'll go ahead with appealing the ban, I would like it to be revoked please. As you can see, I'm not familiar with the disciplinary process on the site. Cheers.

No bother. I will have a look.

I am not familiar with the threads so to be fair to this process I want to read the whole thread to get a context of what they are about so this might take a bit of time. As your ban is already expired there will be no further loss to you if it takes some time.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    No bother. I will have a look.

I am not familiar with the threads so to be fair to this process I want to read the whole thread to get a context of what they are about so this might take a bit of time. As your ban is already expired there will be no further loss to you if it takes some time.

No problem, thanks. I think familiarising yourself with the thread and maybe having a glance at the previous purge threads is worth doing to see the context and how the mod's actions came completely out of the blue and for unknowable reasons. You can also see from them that other mods were involved but had a handle on the tone of the threads so were willing to let it go and get involved themselves.

• Advertisement

Any update on this?

Been up to my eyes this week and now the site is excruciatingly slow. Will see if I can get on the laptop over the weekend and update.

Grand, cheers.

Thanks for your patience. Not sure if you are experiencing site issues or not at the moment but boards is virtually unusable on the mobile site.

I have reviewed this in detail, spoken to the relevant mods, read the whole purge thread and some of the earlier threads to get some context and try to be fair to all parties.

The ban you received was entirely justified as per the AH charter and I would note that the banning mod was not involved in the thread so on a reading of yours (and other posts) action would be the correct course of action however after looking at the threads I would agree that there was implied mod approval for the nature of the content throughout even though it was not explicitly stated anywhere the limits of what was acceptable.

On the above basis, in my opinion there are grounds to overturn your ban. As the ban has already expired the best I can do is put a note on your account stating that it was overturned on appeal so will not be taken into account should there be any future issues on the site.

If there are future purge threads there will be more explicit guidelines on what can and cannot be said.

Again thanks for your patience and as the ban has been overturned I will mark this as resolved.

Cheers

I wouldn't have bothered appealing if I felt it was warranted so good to see a fair conclusion to it. Thanks for your efforts, I know the site is going to through a bad spell as far as usability is concerned.

Marking this as resolved.

Advertisement