Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home taps

Options
  • 24-04-2020 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭

With the pubs looking like they will be closed for the foreseeable, what is the most economical way of setting up draught lager/guiness at home? I did a search but most results were 10+ years ago. Is a half decent pint achievable or does it need very frequent use and much maintenance to keep quality high?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

You need;

Tap
    Regulator
    Chiller
    Beer line
    Gas canister

You can pick up the first 3 on the likes of Donedeal/Adverts etc. Gas can be bought in a few different places around the country, the homebrewing forum has a few suggestions. Beer line can be bought online no bother. Guinness is trickier as you need a different nitro/co2 mix. Not sure if this can be got easily.

Kegs might actually be tricky to source as I can't imagine anyone is really stocking them at present. Diageo might not even be kegging their beer anymore.

To answer your 2nd part, it really depends on your consumption levels. A keg is 50L and should really be drunk within 3 months or so. If you are pouring a pint or two every day the lines will be fine but if it's only every weekend then you'd probably have a bit of wastage. You would need to clean the lines every couple of weeks too, this isn't too much hassle though.

If you set it all up correctly you can pour a perfectly good pint of any beer in the world, but a Guinness drinker would no doubt say the pints in Grogans are nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

Alkers wrote: »
    With the pubs looking like they will be closed for the foreseeable, what is the most economical way of setting up draught lager/guiness at home? I did a search but most results were 10+ years ago. Is a half decent pint achievable or does it need very frequent use and much maintenance to keep quality high?

You can buy a 30L keg of Guinness which would be more suitable if it's just yourself drinking it. A 50L you'd need one or two others really. There's a few sites online who will deliver kegs to you, just google "Guinness keg Ireland". Some of them will also advise on and sell you the full set up. They may not be operating during the covid restrictions though.

You should also enquire at your local off licences or local pubs as some of them sell party kegs and will supply you with one. If you're friendly with a local pub you could also ask them if they have any old gear lying around that you could use for a home set up. Most do and that's how I got my own set up, they were able to give me a whole kit that was no longer in use.

Another more straightforward option is to buy a Kegerator. It's basically a fridge with a tap. Klarstein sell one online. You might have to get a different coupler for stout and also change the tap to a stout tap but shouldn't be too much hassle, I've seen others who have done it. You would then have a handy mobile Guinness tap that you can wheel around the house with you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

I’ve been thinking about this a lot since lockdown too. I looked at a couple of companies that supply large and small kegs for parties and emailed them but no response so they much be closed down too. I even looked at getting a full keg and set up from a friends brother but it was just not working out.
    I reckon a smart publican could set up a home keg service and make a few quid, I’d certainly be a customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Here's one supplier that I've used in the past (Facebook link)

Link

Most recent post, on April 18th
    The 3 Stages Of Happiness Through LOCKDOWN...

Folks with the news today that pubs might not be opening for the foreseeable, we at Coolock Bar Supplies want to reassure you that there's no need to be missing your ice cold draught pint

In line with current Government regulations, we are currently closed until the 5th of May. But as soon as restrictions on travel are relaxed, we will be back on the road and BRINGING THE PUB TO YOU

Our most popular package is 1 keg of your choice (88 pints) with fold up bar and all equipment (taps gas etc) plus matching pint glasses delivered and set up for €330 (extra delivery charges may apply depending on area)

All popular beers available, including Guinness, Coors, Heineken, Budweiser, Bulmers &More..

Packages available from Single Keg Set Up right through to Marquee Rental...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Link

€330 / 80 pints (let's allow for wastage) = €4.125/pint.

€330 / 88 pints (assuming no wastage whatsoever) = €3.75/pint.

The above doesn't taken into account whether the €330 is VAT inclusive & any additional delivery fees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

I'd be happy enough to buy the tap, regulator, chiller and beer line if could be got for €200-€300 and then gas and kegs as required. From that point onwards it seems to work out at very roughly the same cost as half decent cans from an off licence.

Pen Rua wrote: »
    €330 / 80 pints (let's allow for wastage) = €4.125/pint.

€330 / 88 pints (assuming no wastage whatsoever) = €3.75/pint.

The above doesn't taken into account whether the €330 is VAT inclusive & any additional delivery fees.
    €2.55 a pint is what it costs me with my own set up, that's keg plus gas. It's about 84 pints from a keg of Guinness, give or take. There isn't much wastage in a home set up to be fair, a party setting might be a different story though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

You won't get chiller, tap etc for €200

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭endainoz

Hi folks, I have an old cooler in my shed for the past 20 years or so and fired it up for the craic today. To my amazement it turned on no problem. I was just wondering if it would still work properly?

I could probably source taps easily enough, I know of a few pubs in the area that have some old ones lying around. Also included is the gas regulator, not sure what kind of condition it's in.

Attached are a few photos, I know keg's can be got from our local cash and carry. Would like Guinness ideally but I'm not sure how easily the gas mix can be sourced. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It came from my grandfather's pub which was closed after he became ill in the early 2000s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

How important is the cooler? if the keg is going to be kept in a cool place, do you need it? a friend has a setup with a cooler and when its on I find the Guinness is too cold, and creamier when its off.

found a place in galway that advertises the whole set for €840 including the gas, and the cooler is ~450 of that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Boscoirl wrote: »
    How important is the cooler? if the keg is going to be kept in a cool place, do you need it? a friend has a setup with a cooler and when its on I find the Guinness is too cold, and creamier when its off.

Homebrewers tend not to use chillers, generally they'll keep the kegs in a fridge or freezer attached to an externally controlled thermostat. Homebrew kegs are smaller though (usually 19L), I don't know if you'd fit a commercial keg in a domestic fridge.

endainoz wrote: »
    Hi folks, I have an old cooler in my shed for the past 20 years or so and fired it up for the craic today. To my amazement it turned on no problem. I was just wondering if it would still work properly?

I could probably source taps easily enough, I know of a few pubs in the area that have some old ones lying around. Also included is the gas regulator, not sure what kind of condition it's in.

Attached are a few photos, I know keg's can be got from our local cash and carry. Would like Guinness ideally but I'm not sure how easily the gas mix can be sourced. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It came from my grandfather's pub which was closed after he became ill in the early 2000s.
    At a minimum you'll need to get a keg coupler for Guinness keg, a stout tap, in and out beer lines, and an air/gas line from regulator to keg. I also have a hose going from the gas cylinder to the regulator, sometimes you can connect the regulator directly to the cylinder without a hose but it depends on the fittings.

You'll need to give that cooler a good clean and disinfect everything. I'd also recommend running line cleaning solution through the system once you've everything set up and before you start pulling any pints.

Similar set up as below except ignore the 'cellar buoy' gadget, the beer line would be going directly between the cooler and the keg. If you know a few of the local pubs they should be able to lend you a cylinder of gas.

HOW-TO-INSTALL-KEG-BEER.jpg

How important is the cooler? if the keg is going to be kept in a cool place, do you need it? a friend has a setup with a cooler and when its on I find the Guinness is too cold, and creamier when its off
    I'd agree about the Guinness being too cold, a kegerator set up would probably be better for Guinness. It definitely affects the creaminess of the pint.

Townie_P wrote: »
    At a minimum you'll need to get a keg coupler for Guinness keg, a stout tap, in and out beer lines, and an air/gas line from regulator to keg. I also have a hose going from the gas cylinder to the regulator, sometimes you can connect the regulator directly to the cylinder without a hose but it depends on the fittings.

You'll need to give that cooler a good clean and disinfect everything. I'd also recommend running line cleaning solution through the system once you've everything set up and before you start pulling any pints.

Similar set up as below except ignore the 'cellar buoy' gadget, the beer line would be going directly between the cooler and the keg. If you know a few of the local pubs they should be able to lend you a cylinder of gas.

Great thanks for info!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Been looking into this aswell the last few weeks.

The problem with the companies online is not the initial price but the rental for the 5/6 weeks you would have it to get through an 50l keg.

Otherwise I'd have gotten one in a shot.

Just a quick question re the secondary gas regulator, is that essential of will the primary one be enough for one keg?

I'd agree about the Guinness being too cold, a kegerator set up would probably be better for Guinness. It definitely affects the creaminess of the pint.

Think, i'll go the DIY Kegerator route, should be able to pick up a second hand fridge somewhere for very little/free, will start hunting down the rest of the bits and pieces

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I'd be happy enough to buy the tap, regulator, chiller and beer line if could be got for €200-€300 and then gas and kegs as required. From that point onwards it seems to work out at very roughly the same cost as half decent cans from an off licence.
    what beer are you talking about. The ones mentioned so far "Guinness, Coors, Heineken, Budweiser, Bulmers " are all cheap, I would not pay much more than a euro a can for them.

I never really go the fascination with kegs, are people going more for the gimmick or do they really think it is that substantially better?

I would happily drink 1euro cans of heineken at home, but I would rather fork out for bottles of spaten or budvar than have kegged heineken which costs more per 500ml.

I know of a guy big into his wine & beer and is worth millions and has no problem spending it, but heard he no longer bothers getting kegs even though he has his own bar, and by own bar I mean a small pub! as he reckons they go bad too quickly, but would get them if a party was on. He could be overly fussy though.

Just a quick question re the secondary gas regulator, is that essential of will the primary one be enough for one keg?

You only need one reg

No need for that. I have a valve switch between the regulator and keg which is basically an on/off switch for the gas.

• Advertisement

slowly getting this together

have the tap, coupler, and assorted lines and fittings ordered, next to source a regulator and gas(for guinness, just need to find somewhere reasonably local,) and an old fridge, have a keg lined up

have also ordered a few non essential items like drip tray etc, that are on the slow boat from china, but dont mind when they turn up

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

slowly getting this together

have the tap, coupler, and assorted lines and fittings ordered, next to source a regulator and gas(for guinness, just need to find somewhere reasonably local,) and an old fridge, have a keg lined up

have also ordered a few non essential items like drip tray etc, that are on the slow boat from china, but dont mind when they turn up

Similar boat here, I've been ordering / asking people to hold a few bits for me so once I'm allowed to collect things I should be able to get sorted more or less. Where are you thinking of setting it up? I haven't got much space for it.
    Are you going to drill an old fridge and keep the keg in it or just cool it beforehand?
    Where'd you get the keg? I've a few possible places but they've only got kegs that have been lying around since early march already

Similar boat here, I've been ordering / asking people to hold a few bits for me so once I'm allowed to collect things I should be able to get sorted more or less. Where are you thinking of setting it up? I haven't got much space for it.
    Are you going to drill an old fridge and keep the keg in it or just cool it beforehand?
    Where'd you get the keg? I've a few possible places but they've only got kegs that have been lying around since early march already

It all depends on what kind of fridge I can find, I think most under the counter fridges are not going to be big enough to hold a keg with the coupler attached, the ones I have seen on adverts/DoneDeal all seem to have the Inner workings inside the fridge at the bottom. I don’t want a fridge freezer, herself, wouldn’t like that.

I have a covered area out the back between house and garage, long term I’d like to build it into some kind of bar counter top area and have it there, but for the moment it’ll probably be set up in the basement as it’s the coolest and most consistent temp in the house.

The owner of my local says he’ll give me one, it’ll be of a similar age as the ones you are seeing, and my Brother in law is getting his from a local off license, so I have that as a back up, hopefully supply doesn’t dry up :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Link

I contacted these guys but they are only delivering on a Friday and collecting the following Monday. Now I’m mad for a few pints but I’d need a month to finish a keg! Anywhere else?

• Advertisement

Advertisement