Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home taps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If u want a **** pint yeah ill do it that way. But anyway found the recommended way from FB page.great group for advice. Full sink boiling with hot water. Put 2-3 scoops of any washing powder in and mix around. I use oxy clean BTW as it's recommended.only few euro in lidl.put glasses in and wash with clean sponge or brush and rinse well and leave to air dry. Glasses are now grease and beer clean. U will see the difference in pint when u do that.

So how does this differ from a clean, dry glass free of residue that I recommended?
    Perhaps mumble a spell over them, too!

The nonsense that revolves around Gunness is really pretty funny.
    Many French people have similar nonsense around pastis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

There's no real trick to washing off stout. You've got to rinse them out straight away when they're empty so the head doesn't form encrusted rings. Then steep them in hot water until you're finished drinking. Piping hot water and a scrubber like a dishmatic will get off any remaining residue and then use a scouring pad with no detergent on the inside as you rinse off with hot water. I let them air dry because a damp towel will leave streaks, but if you display your glasses and want to shine them, when they've air dried you can use a clean dust rag to polish them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Hope it wasn't one of you lot raided in Athy last night. https://www.facebook.com/167613868000/posts/10158663991728001/

Does there be Garda auctions for seized goods?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

So how does this differ from a clean, dry glass free of residue that I recommended?
    Perhaps mumble a spell over them, too!

The nonsense that revolves around Gunness is really pretty funny.
    Many French people have similar nonsense around pastis.

ahahahahah I think u have been watching too much Harry Potter on repeat. 😂😂. wtf u on about in fairness with spells and other ****e. its about the correct glass washing procedure which has been mentioned again there which proves me right. have a nice day Harry potter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I see this lad got my preferred setup. You can pour Guinness with a few mods on this as well. I love the size of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

RasTa wrote: »
    I see this lad got my preferred setup. You can pour Guinness with a few mods on this as well. I love the size of them

Didn't watch the whole video but if you are want to use gas it ends up taking up a load of room anyway ?

Alkers wrote: »
    Didn't watch the whole video but if you are want to use gas it ends up taking up a load of room anyway ?

How so?

How so?

Because you need the gas tank and the lines between? If it uses compressed air, a keg will go off in a day or two.
    I haven't watched the entire video so maybe I'm missing something?

Because you need the gas tank and the lines between? If it uses compressed air, a keg will go off in a day or two.
    I haven't watched the entire video so maybe I'm missing something?

Gas tank doesn't take up that much space, most of the craft stuff uses air these days and lasts more than a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭shmeee

Wouldn't serve Guinness to my worse enemy through that dirt of a set up.

I had a loan of something similar for a few weeks to pull Coors through and it was awful.

Still need to buy extra stuff to make it work with gas etc so what's the point?

• Advertisement

shmeee wrote: »
    Wouldn't serve Guinness to my worse enemy through that dirt of a set up.

I had a loan of something similar for a few weeks to pull Coors through and it was awful.

Still need to buy extra stuff to make it work with gas etc so what's the point?

lol. Not everyone drinks Guinness let alone the filth that is Coors. I've worked loads of beer festivals using only those machines and they are grand.

lol. Not everyone drinks Guinness let alone the filth that is Coors. I've worked loads of beer festivals using only those machines and they are grand.

Is that using the key kegs? I think in that case, these units are fine. I did a small bit of research and couldn't find many suppliers or products in those key kegs

Is that using the key kegs? I think in that case, these units are fine. I did a small bit of research and couldn't find many suppliers or products in those key kegs

Yeah, all sorts of kegs including key, poly and steel. Gas setups on some of them.

You'll need to contact the brewery directly. Easy in the UK, probably harder back home.

Be nice if you could get these filled from them but you can't even buy beer direct in Ireland for whatever reason.

a079c02cb575ff4fe83a561b6e520415.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭dendof

Looking at buying the bits myself as packages still seem a little expensive.
    One thing I'm not so sure on is the gas part of things.
    For a Guinness and lager set up, can I use the same gas with a mixed gas regulator?
    Or do I need two barrels of gas, then 2 regulators?
    Using something then like the Maxi 310 for cooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Invincible

dendof wrote: »
    Looking at buying the bits myself as packages still seem a little expensive.
    One thing I'm not so sure on is the gas part of things.
    For a Guinness and lager set up, can I use the same gas with a mixed gas regulator?
    Or do I need two barrels of gas, then 2 regulators?
    Using something then like the Maxi 310 for cooling.

Some will do with 70/30 or 75/25 for stout and lager, but claim it leaves the lager a bit flat, if you want it right, you need 50/50 gas for the lager and second regulator.
    Factory refurbished coolers available from platinum beverages, also does taps,couplers & regulators, packages at keen prices delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

Invincible wrote: »
    Some will do with 70/30 or 75/25 for stout and lager, but claim it leaves the lager a bit flat, if you want it right, you need 50/50 gas for the lager and second regulator.
    Factory refurbished coolers available from platinum beverages, also does taps,couplers & regulators, packages at keen prices delivered.

I use Guinness and coors on 70/30 stargas and its perfect. Too good I think. Running off about 2 metres from cooler to tap and no waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Merry_Hell

Any help from more experienced people here be appreciated. Have set up a home system recently that I store in the garden shed (low ambient temp). I'm using a shelf cooler that I bought brand new.

The cooler was working fine until the refrigeration and fan turned off last week after about 3 hours of use. I assumed it was because the ice bank had reached optimum temperature. However the fan did not come back on this week. Only a small sound of circulating water.

I'm unsure if the unit is broken or if the ice bank stayed at a low enough temperature for the 5 days it wasn't in use, given the shed is so cool all the time at this time of year. Anybody having similar experiences or any suggestions? The beer feels 2 or 3 degrees warmer than when the cooler refrigeration was working normally but nothing major.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭joeyoey

Merry_Hell wrote: »
    Any help from more experienced people here be appreciated. Have set up a home system recently that I store in the garden shed (low ambient temp). I'm using a shelf cooler that I bought brand new.

The cooler was working fine until the refrigeration and fan turned off last week after about 3 hours of use. I assumed it was because the ice bank had reached optimum temperature. However the fan did not come back on this week. Only a small sound of circulating water.

I'm unsure if the unit is broken or if the ice bank stayed at a low enough temperature for the 5 days it wasn't in use, given the shed is so cool all the time at this time of year. Anybody having similar experiences or any suggestions? The beer feels 2 or 3 degrees warmer than when the cooler refrigeration was working normally but nothing major.

Go on to Facebook join home bars Ireland page.
    Plenty of helpful people on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭jt69er

Merry_Hell wrote:

Merry_Hell wrote:

Merry_Hell wrote:

Can you post a pic of cooler, fan would not be running all the time, neither would the compressor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭Nermal

Does a kegerator kit sold from the US work in Ireland? There's no difference in connection to the keg/gas?

• Advertisement

Nermal wrote: »
    Does a kegerator kit sold from the US work in Ireland? There's no difference in connection to the keg/gas?

What keg coupler is included?
    Normally 3/8" line to mixed gas regulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭Nermal

Invincible wrote: »
    What keg coupler is included?
    Normally 3/8" line to mixed gas regulator.

I've just seen it's System D, and presumably you'd need S/U here going by a bit of searching. Think it would be better to buy local...

Nermal wrote: »
    I've just seen it's System D, and presumably you'd need S/U here going by a bit of searching. Think it would be better to buy local...

Depends on price I suppose, seen them here for 6-800.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Soups123

Hi Guys

Hope you guys can help. Setting up a ‘home bar’ purchased a blade machine which is a fine piece of equipment and allows me mix the largers up every 14 pints!

I’m looking at kegerator for Guinness and have one lined up. Would anyone in here have one and have an opinion

Looking to run half kegs off it although it can fit a full, just thought I’d struggle to get through a full keg within the time before it would start to off what with no visitors allowed

After years of wanting the man cave I’ve finally been allocated a spare room in the house lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I have a self built Kegerator, that I was using Full kegs in, have gone back to the 30L kegs and think its the way to go as long as we can get them, hard to drink a full keg yourself(although was giving it a good go)

Boscoirl wrote: »
    I have a self built Kegerator, that I was using Full kegs in, have gone back to the 30L kegs and think its the way to go as long as we can get them, hard to drink a full keg yourself(although was giving it a good go)

I was thinking a full keg would be a challenge. Would you recommend a Kegerator for a novice? It’s being order so will arrive made no DIY....

How long would a key or a half keg stay good seems to be mixed answers all over google

Is the getting 30L kegs just a Covid demand thing, so longer term it’s easier?

you seem to get longer out of a keg using a kegerator over a cooler reportedly, the keg is kept cool and the same temp. the longest i have had a keg is 7 weeks and was fine, some people say up to 3 months from tapping.

I believe guinness are stopping deliveries due to covid, so that might dry up the 30L kegs, the 50L should still be available, my local office license was able to source them back in April/May when it was the same.

So all in all you’d recommend the Kegerator for Guinness, it’s not a stupid set up destined to land me poor pints? That was my main concern

My main research on it seems to suggest if done right it can be as good as pub standard and the chilling of the keg as a whole and the closeness of the taps to the keg is a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭joeyoey

Hi if you're on Facebook there are several pages you can join e.g. home bars Ireland. Lots of people on there with experience of kegerator. Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

It took me a while to get the pints spot on. But got there eventually IMO.

Pints from the pub are a little creamier but I am putting that down to a better draw. Or maybe a cooler is better. But for me it’s an acceptable trade off.

Advertisement