Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home taps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭Soups123

Invincible wrote: »
    9 White Deer Brewery have some interesting videos posted on YouTube:
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCC1e6JFuGZhyrD1RW3oL-JQ

Great videos didn’t know you could pour in one!

jt69er wrote: »
    When it is pouring it should be between 2 & 4 degrees. when it has settled it will be about 6.

That’s kind of not far off what I running. It works perfect until a get a bit of the way in.

Was thinking it might be my flow, i can’t adjust it, however if I pull tap towards me it comes out quiet quick and for topping I push it back it comes out slow... I was thinking maybe try pull it in one with the top back...

I’m a complete newbie to this so apologies for the stupidity!!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭jt69er

If everything is working as it should the last pint pulled should be the same as the first. The only thing that can then cause stout to go high/ have a bigger head mid keg is the gas, eg wrong gas/mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭shmeee

Soups123 wrote: »
    Great videos didn’t know you could pour in one!

You can pour Guinness in one also.

Is it a really just a marketing Gimmick?

I've had plenty of pints in a pub who pours it in one, and the pints are exceptional.

If everything is working as it should the last pint pulled should be the same as the first. The only thing that can then cause stout to go high/ have a bigger head mid keg is the gas, eg wrong gas/mix.

I suppose that’s the bit I’m trying to solve here! My gas mix is the recommended and the PSI is 3.5 again recommended but as I progress through the keg the head issue returns.... it’s not an issue with the keg so it’s trying to learn how I could adjust or if I’m doing anything obvious that’s wrong

• Advertisement

Soups123 wrote: »
    I suppose that’s the bit I’m trying to solve here! My gas mix is the recommended and the PSI is 3.5 again recommended but as I progress through the keg the head issue returns.... it’s not an issue with the keg so it’s trying to learn how I could adjust or if I’m doing anything obvious that’s wrong

I have come across a situation where a gas company had to withdraw a batch of gas cylinders due to incorrect mix in cylinders. What was happening was exactly the same as you are experiencing, Guinness pouring perfectly for about 30 pints, then head size getting bigger and pouring high.

I have come across a situation where a gas company had to withdraw a batch of gas cylinders due to incorrect mix in cylinders. What was happening was exactly the same as you are experiencing, Guinness pouring perfectly for about 30 pints, then head size getting bigger and pouring high.

Interesting, I’m using the Brew Crew and they seem to have great reputation, my pal is using it for Guinness a long time no issue!

I’ll troubleshoot a few things one being the flow speed, I’ve an in flow control kit ordered!

Don't think that's your problem, if it was you would have head issues from the start. In line flow controls usually cause more problems than they solve.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

shmeee wrote: »
    Is it a really just a marketing Gimmick?

It is entirely a marketing gimmick, yet oft defended by Guinness zealots because they've fallen for it.

How long has it been a marketing gimmick in your opinion?

• Advertisement

How long has it been a marketing gimmick in your opinion?

Since the day it was invented.

It was invented to try deal with the fact that draught Guinness could be delivered in seconds, whereas cask Guinness took minutes for the fresh portion to settle before the stale portion could be pulled - so they invented some nonsense to keep delivery slow.

L1011 wrote: »
    Since the day it was invented.

It was invented to try deal with the fact that draught Guinness could be delivered in seconds, whereas cask Guinness took minutes for the fresh portion to settle before the stale portion could be pulled - so they invented some nonsense to keep delivery slow.

Since Guinness, Beamish, Murphys etc were invented?

Since Guinness, Beamish, Murphys etc were invented?

Draught delivery of those products is a 1960s development. Not one of them has needed or benefited from a two part pour since.

Well they have managed to fool a lot of people so. I have encountered a hell of a lot of publicans and punters in the last 20 years of my working life and I have yet to meet anyone who will accept a one pour pint of stout.

And fool is the important word

You wouldn't tell the difference. You couldn't tell the difference

People have been sucked in by very effective marketing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

People have indeed been sucked in by marketing. But to suggest that people couldn't tell the difference between a single and a two part pour is nonsense.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

to suggest that people couldn't tell the difference between a single and a two part pour is nonsense.
    Why so?

BeerNut wrote: »
    Why so?

If I put two pints of stout up on the counter, one a single and the other a two part pour are you saying you couldn't tell the difference?
    They would look completely different.
    It's like food presentation in a restaurant. If its lashed onto a plate without any thought you wont go back there. How something is presented adds to the experience and things "taste" better as a result. It's how we are wired. It's probably physiological and Diageo play to that in their campaigns, but it doesn't make it untrue.

The only way I would drink a "one pour" pint is if I had a severe dose of constipation, even then the cure would be worse than the disease.

So all stout drinkers are fools?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

If I put two pints of stout up on the counter, one a single and the other a two part pour are you saying you couldn't tell the difference?
    I wouldn't assert whether I could or couldn't without trying it first. I'd be just making things up if I did.
    It's probably physiological and Diageo play to that in their campaigns, but it doesn't make it untrue.
    It makes it marketing rather than reality, which I think is the only point L1011 was trying to make.
    Anyone who thinks a multinational corporation's marketing is telling them the truth is a fool. What they drink is immaterial.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

The proof that it's all marketing is evidenced by the fact that Guinness drinkers regularly talk about "properly poured pints" but you'll rarely hear the same from a Beamish, Murphys or Porterhouse drinker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

They would look completely different.
    It's like food presentation in a restaurant. If its lashed onto a plate without any thought you wont go back there. How something is presented adds to the experience and things "taste" better as a result. It's how we are wired. It's probably physiological and Diageo play to that in their campaigns, but it doesn't make it untrue.

Is this actually true? I've had one pour pints of stout several times (O' Haras, Porterhouse most often but also plenty of craft stouts) and have never noticed a difference in presentation standards to a pint of Guinness. What impact does the 2 part pour have on appearance? Genuine question.

Only those who feel they have to defend a pseudoscientific marketing technique.

As goes your dramatic protestation about not drinking a one pour pint - you almost inevitably have, somewhere busy, and didn't notice. Because you can't.

Only those who feel they have to defend a pseudoscientific marketing technique.

As goes your dramatic protestation about not drinking a one pour pint - you almost inevitably have, somewhere busy, and didn't notice. Because you can't.

Just because you say so doesn’t make it true.
    Your tone leaves a lot to be desired.
    I’m sure if you were on the receiving end of said to cards would be dished out.

Is this actually true? I've had one pour pints of stout several times (O' Haras, Porterhouse most often but also plenty of craft stouts) and have never noticed a difference in presentation standards to a pint of Guinness. What impact does the 2 part pour have on appearance? Genuine question.

You can’t get that head proud of the glass look with a single pour. Also with a single pour a “pint” looks less full. It just doesn’t look right and as a result affects a persons perception of the “taste”
    Have a look here for something similar

https://flavourjournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/2044-7248-3-7

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

You can create the dome on the top of the pint by waiting about 10 seconds before a quick top up, not the 93.5 seconds Diageo have come up. Once you've taken the 1st sip surely it's all redundant anyway though?

You can’t get that head proud of the glass look with a single pour. Also with a single pour a “pint” looks less full. It just doesn’t look right and as a result affects a persons perception of the “taste”
    Have a look here for something similar

https://flavourjournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/2044-7248-3-7

I agree presentation plays a part in food but to be honest when it comes to pints of beer its pushing it. How many times have you drank a pint that had some spilled over the side? Doubt it affected taste so much you couldn't drink it? Are you really saying that unless a pint is picture perfect it doesn't taste as good?

I agree presentation plays a part in food but to be honest when it comes to pints of beer its pushing it. How many times have you drank a pint that had some spilled over the side? Doubt it affected taste so much you couldn't drink it? Are you really saying that unless a pint is picture perfect it doesn't taste as good?

Yes, I am.

• Advertisement

Yes, I am.

Fair enough. Would you return a pint that wasn't up to scratch so? Say I bought you a pint and some eejit knocked into me as I was bringing it over to you, would you say no to that? Just wondering where the line is.

Advertisement