Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home taps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Fair enough. Would you return a pint that wasn't up to scratch so? Say I bought you a pint and some eejit knocked into me as I was bringing it over to you, would you say no to that? Just wondering where the line is.

Yes, I would return a pint.
    I never said a pint wasn’t drinkable if not presented correctly. Of course I would drink it if someone knocked into you. It just wouldn’t taste as good. That is the crux of my point.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭shmeee

I'm sorry I mentioned anything about one pour Guinness...... That escalated!

Anyway..

I think the lack of Guinness is getting to us all!

Is there Guinness available up North?

A friend is getting a keg. I had a keg from the north over the summer (€50 less) and it was pure dirt, head nearly non existent and watery Guinness. Swapped it out straight away and the next keg was perfect. I know some say it was maybe a dodgy keg, but I know someone else who drank pints from a keg from same supplier (and I have also over the years) and they were never good. I took a chance at the time as nothing else to be got hold of.

shmeee wrote: »
    I'm sorry I mentioned anything about one pour Guinness...... That escalated!

Anyway..

I think the lack of Guinness is getting to us all!

Is there Guinness available up North?

A friend is getting a keg. I had a keg from the north over the summer (€50 less) and it was pure dirt, head nearly non existent and watery Guinness. Swapped it out straight away and the next keg was perfect. I know some say it was maybe a dodgy keg, but I know someone else who drank pints from a keg from same supplier (and I have also over the years) and they were never good. I took a chance at the time as nothing else to be got hold of.

You can get them but they are GB kegs. Different coupler required.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭Invincible

You can get them but they are GB kegs. Different coupler required.

This fella reckons, only different coupler if mported from UK.

Invincible wrote: »
    This fella reckons, only different coupler if mported from UK.

Yes correct.
    The last batch made for the Irish market are all out of date now.

• Advertisement

Yes correct.
    The last batch made for the Irish market are all out of date now.

The date wouldn't bother me. At worst they are dated February. I had Guinness out of date last year and didn't notice any difference, was the finest. Didn't last pissing time once tapped.

So Heineken are back brewing I'm told. So that's Coors, Heineken, Beamish and Murphy's kegs then.

So Beamish or Murphy's as a stout drinker? Beamish?

Definitely Beamish for me anyway.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Got word Friday gone that Guinness are back too. You've to order through your rep, but collect yourself in Ballyfermot. Publican in Clondalkin told me, so it was relative to him. Could be something else the other side of Dublin.

beertons wrote: »
    Got word Friday gone that Guinness are back too. You've to order through your rep, but collect yourself in Ballyfermot. Publican in Clondalkin told me, so it was relative to him. Could be something else the other side of Dublin.

So I take it only essential hotels etc. can order Guinness?

I was told from a wholesaler he will have Heineken products this week and can order directly from him.

Wonder will it be the same with Guinness so?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

So I take it only essential hotels etc. can order Guinness?

I was told from a wholesaler he will have Heineken products this week and can order directly from him.

Wonder will it be the same with Guinness so?

Dunno. It has to go through the rep. That's not to say, you can't ask your publican friend to order one for you. Any lads I know that still have kegs from before Christmas, they aren't in a hurry to move them on. They've all began a soft reopening, with take away food. Another week, they'll add the drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MunsterBigBear

I am in the process of setting up a home Kegorator, got the conversion kit from Kegworks, 30lt keg from a friend in the trade, but I am struggling to get a CO2 gas bottle.

Any suggestions?

Apologies if it has already been covered in the thread

I was quoted €80 deposit, +€5.90 monthly rental and €39.75 + Vat refil rate from BOC. Surely I can get my hands on an old bottle somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I get my gas from Stargas. Based in Kilmallock but top part are stockists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MunsterBigBear

Boscoirl,
    I am setting mine up for Lager and got a CGA 320 gas regulator with the kit. Do you use CO2 or a beer mix?

What regulator is needed, or will my one do the trick?

Not too sure on Lager, I am set up for Guinness, so currently have a 75/25 mix and I am using a Mixed Gas Regulator from Micromatic. might be best to ring first before you order to confirm itll work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭jt69er

50/50 mix, not CO2.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pale rider

I am in the process of setting up a home Kegorator, got the conversion kit from Kegworks, 30lt keg from a friend in the trade, but I am struggling to get a CO2 gas bottle.

Any suggestions?

Apologies if it has already been covered in the thread

I was quoted €80 deposit, +€5.90 monthly rental and €39.75 + Vat refil rate from BOC. Surely I can get my hands on an old bottle somewhere

I wanted mine set up for Christmas and had to go the BOC route with monthly dd that frankly annoys me each month, reposting this with the same question about getting gas in the greater Dublin area if possible, I want out of the BOC costs.

pale rider wrote: »
    I wanted mine set up for Christmas and had to go the BOC route with monthly dd that frankly annoys me each month, reposting this with the same question about getting gas in the greater Dublin area if possible, I want out of the BOC costs.

I got mine from Stargas based in Limerick. Delivered to Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Nermal

I seem to have acquired a beer gas cylinder that has a different fitting to my regulator.

The regulator is definitely mixed-gas capable, but has a fitting that I've seen described as 'Co2'

https://www.geterbrewed.ie/regulator-type-30-with-dual-gauge/

Where's the best place to pick up an adapter? Or should I get a different regulator/cylinder?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭jt69er

Have you a pic of gas cylinder?

• Advertisement

Yep - here's the problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭Invincible

Nermal wrote: »
    I seem to have acquired a beer gas cylinder that has a different fitting to my regulator.

The regulator is definitely mixed-gas capable, but has a fitting that I've seen described as 'Co2'

https://www.geterbrewed.ie/regulator-type-30-with-dual-gauge/

Where's the best place to pick up an adapter? Or should I get a different regulator/cylinder?

This is what you need, stargas might have it.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07W5F9M36/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_YBE7BATFF6MPFQD3PCGZ

Cheers - Stargas are indeed very helpful, and they're sending out the adapter.

How come on the US sites, everyone's using smaller CO2 cylinders, but here we all use larger cylinders of 50/50 beer gas?

How do I safely hook up the gas - I assume hook up everything with the cylinder and reg fully closed - then open the cylinder, then the reg, is that right? Do I open the cylinder all the way or partially?

Note to self, and everyone else: plumbing tape required on the adapter!

Tapped a fresh Keg of Irish Guinness at the weekend, Best Before May 2021. She was smashing!

Source, if I had to tell, I could be shot.

But fresh kegs are out there and I'm based down South of the Country so not just Dublin.

Nice one, I managed to get one with a BB for the end of Nov last week, its decent enough, better than the cider i was drinking for the few weeks before

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Nice one, I managed to get one with a BB for the end of Nov last week, its decent enough, better than the cider i was drinking for the few weeks before

Hey, that would be the finest. And better than some of the dirt from the North. That would blow the head clean off you.

Tapped a fresh Keg of Irish Guinness at the weekend, Best Before May 2021. She was smashing!

Source, if I had to tell, I could be shot.

But fresh kegs are out there and I'm based down South of the Country so not just Dublin.

I hate you:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭jem

Have a fridge freezer in the cave . Fridge on top freezer below . Thinking of putting keg into the fridge part with tap in the door.
    Question is would the “floor”of the fridge part be strong enough to hold the keg ? Also will the fridge part still be still cold enough for bottles etc

• Advertisement

jem wrote: »
    Have a fridge freezer in the cave . Fridge on top freezer below . Thinking of putting keg into the fridge part with tap in the door.
    Question is would the “floor”of the fridge part be strong enough to hold the keg ? Also will the fridge part still be still cold enough for bottles etc

Would imagine so on the weight issue. Yes it would would still be cold enough for other cans/bottles. .

Advertisement