Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home taps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭shmeee

Anyone tapping / has previously ran Smithwicks?

How did she fair out? And what Gas did you run?

For the summer it could be a grand change from the Guinness.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭jem

Hi a few questions from the experts here
    1. If I could get my hands on a beer cooler that hasn’t been used for 2 years what would it be worth?
    2. What else do I need to set up for Guinness and ball park figures
    3. What is the minimum size length and depth would I need for cooler and keg under counter.
    4. And the argument one if only using on occasions kegerator or cooler and taps ?

Sorry for all the questions
    J

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Invincible

jem wrote: »
    Hi a few questions from the experts here
    1. If I could get my hands on a beer cooler that hasn’t been used for 2 years what would it be worth?
    2. What else do I need to set up for Guinness and ball park figures
    3. What is the minimum size length and depth would I need for cooler and keg under counter.
    4. And the argument one if only using on occasions kegerator or cooler and taps ?

Sorry for all the questions
    J

I saw a Guinness tap, cooler and regulator advertised for €650 second hand last week, sold when I looked again.
    Platinum beverages deliver here and are keenly priced.
    Some measurements on this site, but they are expensive for equipment.
    https://thebarcompany.ie/pages/expert-advice

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MunsterBigBear

OK everyone got going.... with some valuable lessons learned...

1) and by far the most important, make sure you do not have a gas leak....

I started off with a 2lt 60/40 mix gas bottle, home delivery from iedepot.. as I understand it should have done just under 2 50lt kegs...

I have a fridge freezer converted with keg in the lower fridge section and freezer section up top being used for ice cold glasses....

Once the gas bottle arrived I connected fittings and was straight into my ice cold keg of Fischers..... while we did indulge over that first weekend, my gas bottle was almost empty after 4 days...

Started then with the soap water spray to check and found bubbles, which after much looking at my jubilee vlips, turned out to be a cracked brass fitting of all things.

Now that I have the repaired, I have set up an BOC account and have set up with Suremix 25, as thats the only gas BOC provide for home bars.

Will this cause me trouble on lager or will it be ok?

I started off with a 2lt 60/40 mix gas bottle, home delivery from iedepot.. as I understand it should have done just under 2 50lt kegs...

I have a fridge freezer converted with keg in the lower fridge section and freezer section up top being used for ice cold glasses....

Once the gas bottle arrived I connected fittings and was straight into my ice cold keg of Fischers..... while we did indulge over that first weekend, my gas bottle was almost empty after 4 days...

Started then with the soap water spray to check and found bubbles, which after much looking at my jubilee vlips, turned out to be a cracked brass fitting of all things.

Now that I have the repaired, I have set up an BOC account and have set up with Suremix 25, as thats the only gas BOC provide for home bars.

It'll get you by on lager, but pints won't be as lively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭jt69er

For a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MunsterBigBear

jt69er wrote: »
    For a reason.

Why is that do you know?

Two reasons probably, 50;50 would be a health risk and 75;25 will do both stout, ale and lager.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dvfyuVcwBZh7T8zX9

Hey folks. First time poster. I have recently acquired a bit of gear second hand and this is the regulator that came with it. I'm going to be running a guinness set up and as far as I know, need 35-40 psi. Has anyone used one of these regulators before, how do I know the psi? Is it worth just trying to get a new one? I'm looking at building a kegerator from a fridge. Thanks

Regulator pressure is already set and is probably good to go.

• Advertisement

thehamo wrote: »
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/dvfyuVcwBZh7T8zX9

Hey folks. First time poster. I have recently acquired a bit of gear second hand and this is the regulator that came with it. I'm going to be running a guinness set up and as far as I know, need 35-40 psi. Has anyone used one of these regulators before, how do I know the psi? Is it worth just trying to get a new one? I'm looking at building a kegerator from a fridge. Thanks

Similar to one I had for the mixed gas for Guinness. Regulator is already set and just pull away.

You'll find our fairly quickly if it's not working. Pints will be going dead very easy and will just be "off".

Keep us posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭paddyirish23

Hi all,
    Complete newbie here for the home beer/stout looking for some advice. Looking to set up a tap for just guinness as I rarely went out before lockdown and now, well we all in the same boat! Seen this tap set for 1040 euro and was wondering if it's worth a try?
    The cylinders and keg not included
    PRICE INCLUDES :
    1 x Micromatic - U Type Beer Keg Coupler €52

1 x Pack - Coupler to Cooler + Gas Regulator (Brass) €23

1 x TOF - Mixed Gas Reg - Wall Mounted - €115

1 x Single Coil Shelf Cooler - BAR1H €495

1 x Pack - Cooler to Tap €14.50

1 x 3/8" Beer Line Insulation - 2m €5

1 x Font Clamp + Bracket & Drip Tray €90

1 x Metal Tower chrome plated - 1 way (body) €110

1 x Chrome Medallion - Short - 83mm Fish Eye Badge Holder €15.50

2 x Guinness Branded Fish Eye Badge - Single €23

1 x Celli Celtic Tap with Compensator €110

1 x Plastic Stout Nozzle €12

You are being absolutely ripped off!

Feck ok, time to do some research! Thanks a mill!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

You are being absolutely ripped off!

Seems the norm to me for new equipment.
    Where would you get cheaper?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

For anyone interested in setting up a home bar for their own use long term, now is not the time to be buying equipment. They should wait for about 6 months after the pubs open and I guarantee a lot of this equipment will become available and will be much cheaper. Some of the prices I see quoted for equipment is outrageous.

For anyone interested in setting up a home bar for their own use long term, now is not the time to be buying equipment. They should wait for about 6 months after the pubs open and I guarantee a lot of this equipment will become available and will be much cheaper. Some of the prices I see quoted for equipment is outrageous.

Ok cheers for the advice, as I say I'm not in a mad hurry. What's the story with buying kegs and gas are they all online or do local places sell too? From Limerick area

Ok cheers for the advice, as I say I'm not in a mad hurry. What's the story with buying kegs and gas are they all online or do local places sell too? From Limerick area

Same as said above, if not in a hurry hold out. Stuff will start coming available on donedeal etc once pubs reopen.

And check out UK suppliers, I've come across coolers for 200-300 online, they were out of stock recently but they will be back in again. Shop around. Spend a good long evening on google.

Do you know any publican? Even ask for a few spare fittings, taps etc. Save a few pound.

I'm relation to kegs, I was paying €215 from the Cash and Carry (near enough cost with VAT) and €250 from the local off licence for Guinness if none available at time from c&c. Them sources have since dried up so it's a treasure hunt to be honest from pubs and hotels who collect kegs directly from the distribution depot (there's actually one in Limerick there out the Dublin road). But they make it very difficult to collect them at present with so many hoops to jump through.

Best place to purchase beer line cleaning kits at a reasonable price?
    Thanks

€450 for a new cooler. Yay or Nay?

• Advertisement

Just if anyone is interested in a 30L Kegerator, friend is selling one next week, bought new in January.
    He's moving on to a twin tap system.

thehamo wrote: »
    €450 for a new cooler. Yay or Nay?

Is it new or refurbished?

What does it come with?

If just a cooler and no fittings or anything even it would be a no from me. But it's your money!

You got to think the price of this stuff has already peaked and coming down in value if anything. A few more months and "pubs" will be back open.

Again I may be talking **** like normal, but just my opinion.

it was brand new but with no fittings. I got a refurb one from Brew Crew for €350 which im happy enough with. Comes with warranty etc. It'll do for what I need it for

Best place to purchase beer line cleaning kits at a reasonable price?
    Thanks

Anyone?

Ive seen a lot of posts about adapting a Garden pump sprayer which works quite well, not sure if its a route you'd go down. People swear by them

Anyone?

Also on the hunt for one. Save me getting a lend of one when needed.

https://www.abcdirect2u.co.uk/acatalog/line-cleaning-bottles.html

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/124420829002?hash=item1cf80f2f4a:g:kTcAAOSwW~hfktiB

Might just get one of the above from ABC, looked up modifying a garden pump but still need fittings and bits anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

If buying a cleaning bottle, ensure it is the right cap for the coupler you have.

U Type: Guinness, Smithwicks, Carlsberg, basically Diageo products.
    S Type: Coors, Heineken and other Heineken products.

• Advertisement

Anyone help with what PSI to set Smithwicks at? As a starting point.

Running it with BOC Suremix 25% CO2 75% N2.

Various different PSI levels quoted online.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement