Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home taps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

I was having the same issue. Single line cooler with no temp gauge. Someone recommended an inkbird temp controller to me. Ive not tried it, but looks pretty much like a plug and play kinda situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭paddyirish23

Ok I've left it on for now, pints seem ok just can't seem to get the head to stick to the glass for the 'rings'. I've tried clean glasses with only hot water am I missing something?!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pale rider

Ok I've left it on for now, pints seem ok just can't seem to get the head to stick to the glass for the 'rings'. I've tried clean glasses with only hot water am I missing something?!

I can’t either, was suggested I wash glasses in salt water but it’s too much like grief, they taste fine so have gotten over myself.

Rennovate. You can get it through emerald hygiene website.

Put your glasses in the dishwasher on their own, no other dishes with it. Fill the powder well with rennovate powder and turn on . Let them drip dry.

see how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭kingaaa

speaking of cleaning, what are you all using for cleaning Guinness beer lines? want to have the right stuff for doing my first clean-out

• Advertisement

kingaaa wrote: »
    speaking of cleaning, what are you all using for cleaning Guinness beer lines? want to have the right stuff for doing my first clean-out

Beer line cleaner and a garden spray bottle hooked up to some JG fittings

thehamo wrote: »

any particular cleaner?

i got mine from the brew crew, its called pipeline. Emerald Hygiene may do it also

Do explain... sorry a newbie here for the home tap you just get the fitting and put it on top of bottle and pump through? For how long? And how do you clear the line again then for the beer how much water you pump through?

Got the kegorator set up last night, works well and the pints taste great....but as much as I try cleaning the glasses I still get like a "curtain" of tiny bubbles on the inside of the glass. I only use water to clean them and dry them well with a clean tea-towel. Running the 75/25 at 36PSI, and the temp was around 4 degrees, any ideas?

[IMG][/img]IMG-20210514-WA0015.jpg

• Advertisement

Got the kegorator set up last night, works well and the pints taste great....but as much as I try cleaning the glasses I still get like a "curtain" of tiny bubbles on the inside of the glass. I only use water to clean them and dry them well with a clean tea-towel. Running the 75/25 at 36PSI, and the temp was around 4 degrees, any ideas?

[IMG][/img]IMG-20210514-WA0015.jpg

Get some Rennovate and clean them on their own in a diswasher. Let them drip dry, dont dry them with a towel.

Emerald hygiene have rennovate available. They suggest running an empty cycle through the dishwasher with a tablespoon of rennovate first to rid the diswasher of any residual grease or fat, and then run another cycle with the glasses and rennovate. Don;t put them in with other food dishes.

See how that goes for you

Do explain... sorry a newbie here for the home tap you just get the fitting and put it on top of bottle and pump through? For how long? And how do you clear the line again then for the beer how much water you pump through?

Very much a newbie my self! So don't blame me if it doesnt work :pac:

I got a garden spray bottle from screw fix for 11 euro. I took off the spray nozzle at the end of the black hose and connected it on to a JG changer fitting one side 5/16" and the other 3/8" (the 3/8 is the size of my beer line) connected the beer line then put 100ml of pipeline into the 5 litres of the bottle. Just pump and leave the tap open and the water will come pissing through (stick a bucket underneat)

I then ran clean hot water through the lines using the same method. ( you might need to do that twice. The pipeline has quite a chlorine-ey smell off it)

Thats pretty much what I did anyway. Not rocket science by any means.

Get some Rennovate and clean them on their own in a diswasher. Let them drip dry, dont dry them with a towel.

Emerald hygiene have rennovate available. They suggest running an empty cycle through the dishwasher with a tablespoon of rennovate first to rid the diswasher of any residual grease or fat, and then run another cycle with the glasses and rennovate. Don;t put them in with other food dishes.

See how that goes for you

just got some off emerald...can it also be used to sanitize beer lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭Invincible

just got some off emerald...can it also be used to sanitize beer lines?

No, it's for cleaning glasses.
    You need beerline cleaner for line cleaning.

Very much a newbie my self! So don't blame me if it doesnt work :pac:

I got a garden spray bottle from screw fix for 11 euro. I took off the spray nozzle at the end of the black hose and connected it on to a JG changer fitting one side 5/16" and the other 3/8" (the 3/8 is the size of my beer line) connected the beer line then put 100ml of pipeline into the 5 litres of the bottle. Just pump and leave the tap open and the water will come pissing through (stick a bucket underneat)

I then ran clean hot water through the lines using the same method. ( you might need to do that twice. The pipeline has quite a chlorine-ey smell off it)

Thats pretty much what I did anyway. Not rocket science by any means.

100ml to 5L ?
    Cleaner I have recommends 16ml per L of water.

Invincible wrote: »
    No, it's for cleaning glasses.
    You need beerline cleaner for line cleaning.

Yeah, I got some Pipeline too...but are you not supposed to sanitize the lines after using the line-cleaner?

Yeah, I got some Pipeline too...but are you not supposed to sanitize the lines after using the line-cleaner?

Flush 5L water through to remove any residue, then you're good to go.
    Good instructional video below:
    https://youtu.be/bG5wEeUMxWA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Hoping for help. Was given an untapped Guinness keg that’s over a year or so out of date. I know you always get a bit longer than the date stamped on the keg but presume it’s no good now is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hoping for help. Was given an untapped Guinness keg that’s over a year or so out of date. I know you always get a bit longer than the date stamped on the keg but presume it’s no good now is it?

Taste it ....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's hard to imagine what could go wrong with a pasteurised liquid that's 4.2% alcohol, has no fresh hop character, and is in a sealed pressurised container. Anyone? What would "gone off" Guinness taste like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

BeerNut wrote: »
    It's hard to imagine what could go wrong with a pasteursied liquid that's 4.2% alcohol, has no fresh hop character, and is in a sealed pressurised container. Anyone? What would "gone off" Guinness taste like?
    Beamish.....

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭shmeee

Same as above, taste it and see.

I tapped a keg last year which was about 4 months or so out of date and had an in date keg right before it and couldn't tell much difference TBH.

You'll know fairly quickly if she tastes like dirt!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

i know someone who when getting taps etc from a pub that was closed for a long time, found an untapped keg, no idea how it tasted but he drank it, and is still alive an kicking, the keg could have been 3 years out of date

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

By and large, dark beers improve with age, unless you're a shareholder of a company that makes them in bulk, in which case you need them turning over quickly. Nobody likes a sour taste in their quarterly financial reports.

Anyone use jantex for cleaning the lines? Got some recently was wondering if it's ok to use without affecting the taste afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I think that’s what inhave. Don’t mix too much in with the water for the initial clean and if you push plenty clean water through afterwards you should be fine.

Will try that, 6 weeks is enough for cleaning yes? Christ the pressurised bottles are fairly dear!!
    I'm running guinness off 75/25 pressure of 35-40. Now I've a tap for coors light that I've not used yet but been told it'll run fine without changing anything. Is this true or do I need less pressure for the coors?

Will try that, 6 weeks is enough for cleaning yes? Christ the pressurised bottles are fairly dear!!
    I'm running guinness off 75/25 pressure of 35-40. Now I've a tap for coors light that I've not used yet but been told it'll run fine without changing anything. Is this true or do I need less pressure for the coors?

I ran Coors through a preset Boc regulator that was set for Guinness PSI and had no problems, had the line spilt into 2 then for the Coors and Guinness. Coors was full of life and a lovely head on it also.

Different Co2 levels like also you are working with, 25% on the Suremix 25 and 50% in the Suremix 50.

shmeee wrote: »
    I ran Coors through a preset Boc regulator that was set for Guinness PSI and had no problems, had the line spilt into 2 then for the Coors and Guinness. Coors was full of life and a lovely head on it also.

Different Co2 levels like also you are working with, 25% on the Suremix 25 and 50% in the Suremix 50.

Ya I went ahead and got the coors, was a tricky bugger to get right, still not sure on the set up just turned tap down to a min. When using pint glasses drinks tasted nice but looked dead, I used a carlsberg pilsner glass with the nucleated thing and by god the pint was lively right to the end. Refilled the glass after washing and was dead then🀔
    Also is there anyway pulled guinness and coors off the same gas will affect taste?

• Advertisement

Ya I went ahead and got the coors, was a tricky bugger to get right, still not sure on the set up just turned tap down to a min. When using pint glasses drinks tasted nice but looked dead, I used a carlsberg pilsner glass with the nucleated thing and by god the pint was lively right to the end. Refilled the glass after washing and was dead then🀔
    Also is there anyway pulled guinness and coors off the same gas will affect taste?

Glass is key for a lager. The sandblasted bottoms on the glass keeps them bubbles flowing. The Coors glasses are excellent for it. Pour it into a Guinness glass and you'll see the difference. The old style Carlsberg glasses with the round top are some glass for it too!!!

What kinda tap you pulling it through btw?

The lagers are tricky to get the balance right, too much head, too little head..... Guinness just pours perfect everytime.

The same line? Pulling both through it? If you are not cleaning lines in-between then it will hugely effect the taste for sure.

Ps. Can you see the actual gas bouncing around ten pint of Coors?

Advertisement