Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home taps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭paddyirish23

shmeee wrote: »
    Glass is key for a lager. The sandblasted bottoms on the glass keeps them bubbles flowing. The Coors glasses are excellent for it. Pour it into a Guinness glass and you'll see the difference. The old style Carlsberg glasses with the round top are some glass for it too!!!

What kinda tap you pulling it through btw?

The lagers are tricky to get the balance right, too much head, too little head..... Guinness just pours perfect everytime.

The same line? Pulling both through it? If you are not cleaning lines in-between then it will hugely effect the taste for sure.

Ps. Can you see the actual gas bouncing around ten pint of Coors?

Using a box mounted tap I bought off the same lad I got the guinness off, when I say same line now I meant same gas line, have a different beer line for each. Just found when I pulled the guinness and coors after each other they both tasted off was v strange.
    Ya the glass with the nucleated thing was lovely and lively, then the next pint in same glass was dead. Was probably still wet from being washed. I'll give it another go the weekend. Guinness keg nearly gone too well that affect the taste too?

Just to update the guinness has a v small head but taste fine but am guessing 10 to 15 pints left, that normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pale rider

Just to update the guinness has a v small head but taste fine but am guessing 10 to 15 pints left, that normal?

Yeah that’s been my experience, on BOC 75/25 mix, would like a pub head but can’t get it or the lines running down the glass but tastes good.

I’m about to run a Coors alongside Guinness same as you, will be cleaning lines on both before making the connections so can report back, it will be next week before I have both fresh kegs.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭hbab2009

Trying to get a guinness gas regulator for the last number of months, anytime I go to buy on done deal they are gone. Any idea where I can buy one? There is a special gas regulator for guinness i've been told.

Any help greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭joeyoey

Try brewcrew.ie for mixed gas regulator and 75/25 gas. Or savagebrew.ie for reg.

pale rider wrote: »
    Yeah that’s been my experience, on BOC 75/25 mix, would like a pub head but can’t get it or the lines running down the glass but tastes good.

I’m about to run a Coors alongside Guinness same as you, will be cleaning lines on both before making the connections so can report back, it will be next week before I have both fresh kegs.
    Enjoy that! The beer takes a bit of getting right. Funny one about the pints with small heads for guinness, what I found with them were the rings were sticking to the glass no matter how glasses were washed or wet even. I did have an issue with the gas cylinder leaking so maybe it's a pressure thing

• Registered Users Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm trying to spitball a set up that will run a lager tap via a soda stream type Co2 bottle?
    Has anyone done similar, before I start sketching out what I need regarding spear, regulator and gas adapter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

banie01 wrote: »
    I'm trying to spitball a set up that will run a lager tap via a soda stream type Co2 bottle?
    Has anyone done similar, before I start sketching out what I need regarding spear, regulator and gas adapter?

Look at I kegger. They have the regulators soda stream adapters and bottles.

I did it with a keg of Ale, worked well but I had issues. Not sure if it was to do with the gas set up or the coupler/keg its self though

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

what was your experience with the ikegger? i've one on order now, hoping to use it with 9whitedeer for a bit then see what other options are out there.
    i hear of people pouring cans into them and represusing to get a nicer pint?

• Advertisement

I’ve plumbed in Coors and Guinness using this old gas line splitter, which is the correct setting for gas to flow to both kegs using this type of splitter, the first. Picture or the second ?

pale rider wrote: »
    I’ve plumbed in Coors and Guinness using this old gas line splitter, which is the correct setting for gas to flow to both kegs using this type of splitter, the first. Picture or the second ?

I disconnected some fittings and to me the correct way is the first picture

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭jt69er

First pic

Enjoy that! The beer takes a bit of getting right. Funny one about the pints with small heads for guinness, what I found with them were the rings were sticking to the glass no matter how glasses were washed or wet even. I did have an issue with the gas cylinder leaking so maybe it's a pressure thing

Said in a previous post that I would update, I now have Coors and Guinness on a 75:25 BOC sure gas, The Guinness is fine with some bubbles in the head, the Coors is ok just not very lively.

Overall satisfactory.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Could anyone recommend a company to build a home bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭kingaaa

Lads, I seem to have developed a problem pulling pints of guinness, cant get the head above the harp on the tulip glass. I've tried different gas settings (from 40psi to 30psi) and temperatures between 1 - 5 degrees. The were pulling fine at the start of the keg, I've even tried chilling the glasses. tastes fine and I'm pouring it correctly.....any ideas??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

as in the head is too big or the head is too small?

thehamo wrote: »
    as in the head is too big or the head is too small?

Way too big, double what it should be

• Registered Users Posts: 9,098 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Does anyone here have any experience with dry coolers and if so can you comment on how effective they are?

I'm looking at getting a keg of Guinness and system delivered from https://scoopsbar.ie/, I'm told this system uses some kind of powered cooler that the keg sits in (not 100% on this but it sounds like some kind of dry cooler anyway). The keg comes delivered cold and the cooler is used to keep it that way. My problem is that they want to deliver the keg on Friday but I won't be using it til over 24 hours later on the Saturday late afternoon/evening. Do people think it would still be properly cold the next day? There are kegerator systems you can rent from other suppliers that I would be more confident of doing the job but they're considerably more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Sounds and looks like a kegerator?

• Advertisement

kingaaa wrote: »
    Lads, I seem to have developed a problem pulling pints of guinness, cant get the head above the harp on the tulip glass. I've tried different gas settings (from 40psi to 30psi) and temperatures between 1 - 5 degrees. The were pulling fine at the start of the keg, I've even tried chilling the glasses. tastes fine and I'm pouring it correctly.....any ideas??

Sounds to me like the wrong gas.

jt69er wrote: »
    Sounds to me like the wrong gas.

75/25 Stargas Stout gas I'm using?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Since it doesn’t seem to be too warm. Has it become over carbonated? You could try turn off the gas and pour the next few without it

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Since it doesn’t seem to be too warm. Has it become over carbonated? You could try turn off the gas and pour the next few without it

would there be a reason for this to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Not sure. Don’t fully understand the science of it. Someone suggested it to me before and it helped.

This is exactly what happens when a wrong mix is used to pour stout, grand for 1/2 the keg and then large head after that. Remainder of keg will be like that. It can happen that wrong mix is in gas bottle or bottled labeled wrong.

And I don't suppose there is any way to tell if its the wrong gas? it's labelled 25/75, what would I even say to them if I rang them up?

I rang Stargas and they swapped the bottle out no problem......now I think there's only around 10 pints left in this 30l keg - should I just work on what's in the keg before hooking up the new bottle?

You can connect new gas straight away, but from my experience what's left in the keg will pour with a large head but will be drinkable, would not work in a pub setting.

• Advertisement

Perfect pints with the new gas, definitely a bad mix!!!

Advertisement