Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 6s battery- what’s a good phone

Options
  • 24-04-2020 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

I recently purchased a second hand iPhone 6s for €175. While I love the phone, I find the battery goes extremely quickly. Is this normal for iPhone 6s? How much screen time should an iPhone 6s battery Provide from 100% charged to turning off? The battery goes down from 70% to 40% in a matter of minutes...
    can anyone recommend what phone I should get? Should I replace it for another 6s and hope it’s just a faulty one I got? Or is there any Brand new iphone or never been used before iPhone I could buy up to about €300??

Comments

I recently purchased a second hand iPhone 6s for €175. While I love the phone, I find the battery goes extremely quickly. Is this normal for iPhone 6s? How much screen time should an iPhone 6s battery Provide from 100% charged to turning off? The battery goes down from 70% to 40% in a matter of minutes...
    can anyone recommend what phone I should get? Should I replace it for another 6s and hope it’s just a faulty one I got? Or is there any Brand new iphone or never been used before iPhone I could buy up to about €300??

The phone you bought needs a new battery. Cheapest option too.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Myself and a few friends recently bought Xiaomi phones. We're all mad surprised by the specs and the quality. Firstly I got mine because I value battery life. If you want a phone with a good battery just check the "Battery mAh." My Xiaomi has a 4000 mAh battery. I get about 2 days out of it. I never worry about it going out of battery for the day.

For context, an iPhone 6S battery has 1,715mAh. That's less than half of my €200 phoe which I bought brand new. Because your phone is used, the battery is going to be much weaker. That and Apple is known for updating their phones then the updated operating system is more battery intensive, eventually making your phone obsolete. But I also have 4gbs RAM compared to iPhone 6s' 2Gbs of RAM, meaning I can have many applications open at once and my phone is still fast.

If you want my advice, (from an ex-Apple advocate and user) I would go for Xiaomi. I would never buy Apple, personally ever again. You can buy a new Xiaomi phone for the same price as old iPhone at the a twice as powerful phone. Your just paying for the Apple logo.

I bought mine online, completely unlocked and it has a finger print reader and dual sim-card slots.

I'm just using my Redmi Note 5 as a comparison because price-wise it's similar to what you paid.

In fact, you can get the Redmi Note 8, with 4Gb RAM (twice that of your current phone) and 64gb storage for €120. That's crazy! Apple are ripping people off.
    Redmi Note 8

I get that some people want to own an Apple and that's fine but going on specs + value/features, the Redmi Notes will win over any most iPhones and certainly any used iPhone for the same price.

You have €300?

You can buy a Redmi Note 9 which batter is over 5020mAh!! That's one of the best batteries you'll get in a phone. It's got 6gb RAM (three times that of a iPhone 6s. There is a 17% off sale on eGlobal Central and the phone is €220 brand new. Why get a second hand phone? Because you want an Apple? :D

OK, lets see what you can get for 300 used iPhone. You can get an iPhone 7. OK, it's 2gb RAM, really awful RAM if you want to do multiple tasks and have more than Facebook open at once.
    the battery is a measly 1960mAh. It's not even a 3rd of the power of the batter on the Redmi Note 9 and not even half the battery of the Redmi Note 5 (an old phone).

But hey, it has an Apple logo on it! :D

I would never buy Apple again for this reason. It's overpriced garbage.

If you buy a phone based on the specifications that you desire, and not blind brand loyalty, then it's going to be hard for a phone or any other product to disappoint you. If you buying because "Apple" and choosing to ignore the fact that the batteries are sub-standard and RAM is sub-standard then you'll increase the probability of you being disappointed with the phone.

Yawn.

Stick a new battery in the iPhone and enjoy not using an android device.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Batteries aren’t that dear for these.

JayZeus wrote: »
    Yawn.

Nicely refuted. Very logical choice at getting to the root cause of the issue. This is the Apple brain-rot mentality. Instead of having high-quality hardware. "just replace it"

Or you, know you could buy good hardware for cheaper and not have to replace your stuff all the time, lol.

I offered information, on how to choose a battery so the OP is empowered not to make the same mistake again. I provided links to deals that save the OP money and having to replace batteries in the future. Anyone rocking a battery under 2000mAh in 2020 are those types you see always looking for a charger to place to charge their phone haha :D And all you can contribute is "change the battery." lol

Your idea is great though. Spend 175 on second hand phone. Then replace the battery for another €25-€50 (or do it yourself for 10). So probably end up paying 190 quid for used phone with a terrible battery 1,715mAh.

Yawn...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

To be fair, when battery is new, the battery life in a 6 is more than enough.

Yawn.

How childish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,632 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Still have my 6s. Great phone don't need a new one. But its on its 3rd battery by now. Easy enough DIY job, 20 to 25 quid for the battery.

How childish.

Really? The childish thing is people who decided to go buy an android device coming in and trolling in the Apple Devices forum. But it's entirely to be expected. The only thing worse than an Apple fanboi is the former fanboi who's convinced they're a genius because they've bought into another brand/ecosystem.

A replacement battery is a good option for a 6s. It's cost effective and allow for a once flagship device to continue to be used by its owner. There's nothing wrong with the phone apart from the fact it has an old battery now. Stick in a new battery for small money and get on with using an iPhone, rather than going to use the mess that is an android device.

It's silly nonsense being spouted by THS anyway. Trying to compare completely different devices and ignoring the fact that everything from memory management to CPU core utilisation by the OS and apps varies between iOS and android based phones, then sticking in the mAh capacities of various devices. It's a simplistic argument, technically misleading and entirely pointless for someone who wants an iPhone.

Tiresome stuff. Silly stuff.

Nicely refuted. Very logical choice at getting to the root cause of the issue. This is the Apple brain-rot mentality. Instead of having high-quality hardware. "just replace it"

Or you, know you could buy good hardware for cheaper and not have to replace your stuff all the time, lol.

I offered information, on how to choose a battery so the OP is empowered not to make the same mistake again. I provided links to deals that save the OP money and having to replace batteries in the future. Anyone rocking a battery under 2000mAh in 2020 are those types you see always looking for a charger to place to charge their phone haha :D And all you can contribute is "change the battery." lol

Your idea is great though. Spend 175 on second hand phone. Then replace the battery for another €25-€50 (or do it yourself for 10). So probably end up paying 190 quid for used phone with a terrible battery 1,715mAh.

Yawn...

Incidentally, the battery capacity on the just released iPhone SE 2020 is only about 1800mAh and apart from the spec-whores, most folks aren't going to have much to complain about there.

A new battery is all that's needed. You're the one pushing someone to buy a new device when it's an absolute waste of resources to do so. I suspect it's actually much more common for those who buy cheaper android phones in the first place. Those buying iPhones generally know what they're getting into. The android fans seems to be forever changing brands and models, always looking for something to justify their moves and always ready to criticise the iPhone users choices.

Question "What's the weather like this weekend"

Answer "It's 8 o'clock now"

Doesn't make a lot of sense, does it? Same as what you're writing there. OP, a new battery is the cheapest and easiest option if you like the phone. If you want a newer iPhone, look for a deal on an iPhone 8 for your budget. No need to go android if that's not your preference, despite what the fanboi's say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Definitely recommend getting a new battery installed in your 6s. I did it with my iPhone 6 a few years back and it was like night and day.

Also - I'm running a Google Pixel now - and although I love it I also loved the iOS ecosystem and would thoroughly recommend getting the 6s fixed !

Incidentally, the battery capacity on the just released iPhone SE 2020 is only about 1800mAh and apart from the spec-whores, most folks aren't going to have much to complain about there.

A new battery is all that's needed. You're the one pushing someone to buy a new device when it's an absolute waste of resources to do so. I suspect it's actually much more common for those who buy cheaper android phones in the first place. Those buying iPhones generally know what they're getting into. The android fans seems to be forever changing brands and models, always looking for something to justify their moves and always ready to criticise the iPhone users choices.

Question "What's the weather like this weekend"

Answer "It's 8 o'clock now"

Doesn't make a lot of sense, does it? Same as what you're writing there. OP, a new battery is the cheapest and easiest option if you like the phone. If you want a newer iPhone, look for a deal on an iPhone 8 for your budget. No need to go android if that's not your preference, despite what the fanboi's say.

Wow, that's the life of battery on a €500 phone? :eek:

"Spec whores?" Amazing. Checkinng the specs of something you pay good money for makes you a "spec whore."

Again, this Apple brain-rot. Go with your feelings over logic and reason, right?

Nobody is telling anyone to do anything. It's perfectly acceptable to change the battery on the iPhone 6s. But if paid good money, I wouldn't just buy a phone with a good battery. Changing operating system isn't like moving house. It might take you a day or two to adjust to some setting being named slightly different. It's not a big deal. I don't care either way.

I was just trying to educate the OP on his/her options. Imagine that. Money saving options for better hardware. But I guess I'm just a "spec whore."

I mean why look whats under the hood? Just go with your feelings and see where it takes you. Probably down to the shop for another replacement battery or proprietary cable or adapter or whatever you need to with Apple Phones these days.

Anyway, I wont bother this thread any more. I was just trying to offer some help other than "just replace the battery." That doesn't solve this issue. It's a temporary solution of a fundamentally long term problem. Apple makes phones with an insulting lack of battery power, yet they charge a premium for their phones. If I was a premium paying customer, I would expect a premium battery. Premium specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,211 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

One Plus 7T pro comes with included warp charger. Don't worry about battery life again. Apple aren't at the races specification wise for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

One Plus 7T pro comes with included warp charger. Don't worry about battery life again. Apple aren't at the races specification wise for a long time.

Interesting comment. Their A13 is a year old and its the best SOC out there. The 11pro max consistently comes out best or near best on performance benchmarks, battery drain tests and overall camera performance.

So I guess if you exclude: processor, camera and battery maybe you have a point in saying Apple aren’t at the races.

Where are apple winning battery tests? There middling at best the se2020 battery is pathetic, charging apple devices is painfully slow, have you used a warp charger? There's no going back. 60hz screen in a 1k+ plus phone is laughable in this day and age. Marques Brownlee who would be a bit of an apple fan boy didn't give the iPhone phone of the year. Should be enough to tell you there's more to a phone than a benchmark.
    I've plenty of apple products, I'm not a hater I just think their phones are out of date.
    I realise this is the apple form so I'm going to stop there.

Where are apple winning battery tests? There middling at best the se2020 battery is pathetic, charging apple devices is painfully slow, have you used a warp charger? There's no going back. 60hz screen in a 1k+ plus phone is laughable in this day and age. Marques Brownlee who would be a bit of an apple fan boy didn't give the iPhone phone of the year. Should be enough to tell you there's more to a phone than a benchmark.
    I've plenty of apple products, I'm not a hater I just think their phones are out of date.
    I realise this is the apple form so I'm going to stop there.

The vast majority of folks who will buy an iPhone, especially the SE, really don't care about those specs. That's the long and short of it. I have an iPhone 8 as a work phone and it does everything I need it to do as a business user, easily. The SE will be no less suitable.

The vast majority of folks who will buy an iPhone, especially the SE, really don't care about those specs. That's the long and short of it. I have an iPhone 8 as a work phone and it does everything I need it to do as a business user, easily. The SE will be no less suitable.

It must not be a very busy business, I can't get half a day out of one. Have an xs max sitting in a drawer, charging time is crazy nearly as bad as my iPad pro.
    As for recommending the SE2020 in a thread for someone wondering about battery life, the 6s was bad but the SE looks worse https://www.tomsguide.com/news/iphone-se-2020-battery-life-is-a-major-letdown

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Not sure I'd regard Marques Brownlee as an Apple fanboy. Think he's more pro-Android, tbh.

I've a 6s as a work phone. Battery does take a beating if I'm on data - tweeting from a conference, etc. Little of that now as I'm working from home. Weekly conference calls are an 60-75 minutes and it's good there. Had a 5s before and it lasted 2 years before it started acting up.

It must not be a very busy business, I can't get half a day out of one. Have an xs max sitting in a drawer, charging time is crazy nearly as bad as my iPad pro.
    As for recommending the SE2020 in a thread for someone wondering about battery life, the 6s was bad but the SE looks worse https://www.tomsguide.com/news/iphone-se-2020-battery-life-is-a-major-letdown

I recommended a replacement battery. Repeatedly.

As for a busy business, I can't speak for your work rate or how productive you are in any meaningful sense, so maybe rein yourself in there too.

My personal Xs Max is used for many hours each day and rarely if ever does it actually need to be charged during a day. If I use it as a mobile hotspot or stream video non-stop, sure, but that's not really all that typical. Charge it with a 12W charger and it's full again in fairly short order. It's just bizarre to suggest that there's something inadequate about a phone that actually has high capacity and very good power management, from a user perspective. I simply don't believe people when they say they've a €1000 phone sitting in the drawer because they think the battery takes too long to charge. Who actually does that? Not a typical iPhone user anyway, that's for sure.

The 8 will easily see me through a 10-12 hour working day with calls, gmeets, hubspot, occasional email and slack usage with a good bit remaining. For both purposes and on both phones, battery life is absolutely fine. Just more of the same random criticisms from someone who wants to slate an Apple phone because it's an Apple phone. Can't see the point in it really.

The simple fact your counting in hours rather than days with slack usage just proves my point. There not at the races when it comes to the competition.
    They need to up their game.

• Advertisement

The simple fact your counting in hours rather than days with slack usage just proves my point. There not at the races when it comes to the competition.
    They need to up their game.

The simple fact you think the time spent in a particular app equals work proves my own point. I have better things to do with my time each day than to be 'busy' using a mobile phone. I use a MacBook. They're much more appropriate for the work I do and the battery life of an iPhone has no bearing on the profitable activity conducted via same. I suspect that most folk who aren't so pointlessly busy on social media, boards and the like would have similar experience with their phones battery life. The world goes on and plenty get a hell of a lot of focused work done without needing to hammer their iPhone all day, despite your own preferences for spending time during a 'work' day.

The really silly thing about this is that most iPhone users just use their phones and never really find much to complain about. The experience is positive. It's always the former iPhone users who seem to think their experience is the norm and that their criticisms have broad value, when they're the outliers. I firmly believe you're one of the latter. 3000 posts in the Mobile forum, lots more in mobile phone service provider discussions and so on suggest you're not the typical phone user. Would you really disagree?

Your wearing blinkers, I've no brand loyalty like you. Your right though I wouldn't be a typical user and it's my business to know phones inside out. Chances are if I slate a phone it's not without reason, based on my own experience and customer feedback, poo poo the advice if you like. It's a bit petty to suggest you make more with your iPhone than I do with my Android, that's real fanboy snobbery. Another one of my gripes with some iPhones users they really think their gods gift and anyone without an iphone is a peasant.
    Seen as your thrawling through my old posts go back 5 yrs and see what I thought of the 6s after a few weeks usage. It wasn't a good phone when it was new and it's utterly out of date in 2020 considering what else OP could get for her €300 I'd just get rid of it and stop messing with refurbished, never used phones.
    That's my educated advice.

Your wearing blinkers, I've no brand loyalty like you. Your right though I wouldn't be a typical user and it's my business to know phones inside out. Chances are if I slate a phone it's not without reason, based on my own experience and customer feedback, poo poo the advice if you like. It's a bit petty to suggest you make more with your iPhone than I do with my Android, that's real fanboy snobbery. Another one of my gripes with some iPhones users they really think their gods gift and anyone without an iphone is a peasant.
    Seen as your thrawling through my old posts go back 5 yrs and see what I thought of the 6s after a few weeks usage. It wasn't a good phone when it was new and it's utterly out of date in 2020 considering what else OP could get for her €300 I'd just get rid of it and stop messing with refurbished, never used phones.
    That's my educated advice.

Educated advice? You're no more educated in this regard than the next person who considers themselves to be an expert, simply because they sell or use a product or aftermarket products/services to cater to those who do. I mean no disrespect in writing that, but that's the truth. You're a guy who thinks a personal opinion, be it informed or only considered to be so, carries substantial weight simply because it's expressed. You're not a typical user, as you said, before you fall back to what your customers opined. Just take a step back from that for a moment and consider why anyone should accept what you say to be true, just because it is you who says it. Nobody should. Your opinion is biased and for the majority of iPhone users really quite irrelevant.

Apple make nice products which work well, generally speaking, and satisfy the needs of the majority of their customers. Put it this way; we can't all be wrong, over and over again. Along with a great many others, I'll keep buying iPhones because they do what I want for as long as I expect they should. As objectionable as that may be to some quarters, you know very well that when it comes to this customer behaviour, the numbers simply don't lie.

The OP has a phone for which they've paid €150. They should have a new battery fitted and enjoy using it for the very basic purposes they specified in the original post. It's worthwhile doing. It's certainly better than spending another €300 on a replacement phone. Would you not agree? Or is it a case that it's all money down the toilet one way of the other and that they should cut their losses?

Anyone who says a cosmetically flawless iPhone should be discarded just for want of a new battery, especially with all that educated opinion they profess to hold, really needs to stop giving bad advice to people who don't need to know about fast charging solutions for Android devices. Respectfully, if you read the OP you might be able to focus on giving advice that's relevant instead of just your opinion.

I'm done now. Nothing to be gained from going in circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Can I suggest you check if Bluetooth is on? That kills your battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I had a 6S for 4 years and it’s battery was done so I bought one and planned on replacing it myself. I’d changed iPhone screens before several times so changing the battery was no biggy but I messed up and while trying to remove the original battery I must have bent it and it ruptured and it fried itself and the charging module so was beyond repair.

I bought an 11 to replace it and while it’s a great phone I would have been more than happy to continue using the 6S had the battery replacement gone well. I prefer the size of the 6 and should have just gone with an 8 or XR but got a good deal on the 11 and took it.

If you like the 6S then just get a new battery. My 11 doesn’t do anything that the 6S couldn’t have done.

daheff wrote: »
    Can I suggest you check if Bluetooth is on? That kills your battery.

Add to that check email is set to pull not push. Helps a lot. Check charging port isn't dirty as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Add to that check email is set to pull not push. Helps a lot. Check charging port isn't dirty as well.

Actually now you mentioned it, yeah, I may have to turn that off because I had been noticing my battery drain faster than usual lately. I put it down to the latest iOS software update or maybe some apps doing background refresh, but now I think of it the tons of emails that have been coming in lately and the increase in screen on-time while reading them will have had an effect.

As regards the OP, well they were robbed paying €175 for an iPhone 6s, I don’t care if it’s spotless on the outside. A phone that old with the original battery in it is going to drain incredibly fast. That being said, if you like the phone, then there’s no point in talking about android. Most economical solution would be to get a new battery installed for about €50 in any repairs shop and get another maybe two years out of the phone before all the current apps stop being supported (I still miss my Lumia 950 :( ).

I don’t understand why you would have spent €175 on a phone, and then be talking about spending another €300 on another phone, but since you ask, you’d probably get an iPhone 7 Plus, maybe an iPhone 8 at a push for that kind of money. There’s no point in talking about the new iPhone SE if your budget is stretched at €300.

To be honest if the budget is €300 a decent iPhone is out of budget, the only reason someone can't jump between Os's is if there is a specific app that won't work across different phones and there are very few of them. At €200 it's very hard to look past the Xiaomi Redmi Note 9. Whopper of a battery. It's definitely worth considering. It's comparable to an iPhone 11 and better in some respects most notably battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Can we please move on from the name-calling. If you have a phone / fix recommendation for OP, then great. If not, please keep your comments to yourself.

OP, you might be best served by a replacement battery. The 6s is a pretty old phone, so chances are a new battery will fix your issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement