Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

two way switching

Options
  • 24-04-2020 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

A number of links were placed in switches by previous occupant as he had fitted sensor lights to the landing & hall lights.
    Trying to undo them , but having couple issues.

pic 1/2/3. is the landing 2 gang switch. the left hand switch is bathroom and switches light on and off thats fine. the right switch , turns on the landing on and off , thats fine.

in the hall there is a 3 gang switch (pic 4/5).
    the left switch is the outside light. That turns on and off fine.

NOW! The middle switch is for the hall (also a two way from other end of hall) and the right hand side switch ,is the two way to the landing. Neither of these work.

Its the switched live needs to be identified i think between the landing and hall switch (pic 4/5)
    i notice to grey single core cables in the landing two gang. I would have thought that one of them must be in the Hall switch and should be connected to the right hand switch(landing on/off) to be able to switch landing light on from hall.

I do know that prior to the previous owner fitting the lights and the links all worked ok.

ps i notice a link brown cable on the 3 gang hall switch , not sure if that should be there or not.
    the other links that were put in were all blue whicvh i removed ..any ideas or thoughts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

A number of links were placed in switches by previous occupant as he had fitted sensor lights to the landing & hall lights.
    Trying to undo them , but having couple issues.

pic 1/2/3. is the landing 2 gang switch. the left hand switch is bathroom and switches light on and off thats fine. the right switch , turns on the landing on and off , thats fine.

in the hall there is a 3 gang switch (pic 4/5).
    the left switch is the outside light. That turns on and off fine.

NOW! The middle switch is for the hall (also a two way from other end of hall) and the right hand side switch ,is the two way to the landing. Neither of these work.

Its the switched live needs to be identified i think between the landing and hall switch (pic 4/5)
    i notice to grey single core cables in the landing two gang. I would have thought that one of them must be in the Hall switch and should be connected to the right hand switch(landing on/off) to be able to switch landing light on from hall.

I do know that prior to the previous owner fitting the lights and the links all worked ok.

ps i notice a link brown cable on the 3 gang hall switch , not sure if that should be there or not.
    the other links that were put in were all blue whicvh i removed ..any ideas or thoughts

Can you identify the strappers.
    There should be 2 sets at the 3 gang switch
    They are a twin brown cable

Each strapper should be terminated into L1 and L2(off the same switch)
    All com connections should be Linked with the live wire
    The single grey cable should be connected into the last L1

This is my opinion from here without being able to check on site

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

meercat wrote: »
    Can you identify the strappers.
    There should be 2 sets at the 3 gang switch
    They are a twin brown cable

Each strapper should be terminated into L1 and L2(off the same switch)
    All com connections should be Linked with the live wire
    The single grey cable should be connected into the last L1

This is my opinion from here without being able to check on site

There is indeed thanks very much for all the info I’ll look at it again tomorrow thanks

Advertisement