Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurants and Pubs That Can Implement Social Distancing

• 24-04-2020 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

I’m looking at planning a few family get togethers for later in the year and while no one knows when pubs and restaurants will open, when they do it will have to be under Social Distancing guidelines.

BUT, who in Limerick can do this properly? Certainly restaurant wise, I’m thinking the Jasmine but pub wise, no way for The White House

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

MrLaurel wrote: »
    I’m looking at planning a few family get togethers for later in the year and while no one knows when pubs and restaurants will open, when they do it will have to be under Social Distancing guidelines.

BUT, who in Limerick can do this properly? Certainly restaurant wise, I’m thinking the Jasmine but pub wise, no way for The White House

so you're all going to go to a restaurant and sit 2m apart?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭MrLaurel

lawred2 wrote: »
    so you're all going to go to a restaurant and sit 2m apart?

Sister and her husband on one table. Us in the next one and 2m away, my brother and his partner. Not ideal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,272 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The way they are talking pubs might be one of the last businesses to reopen and maybe not until the end of the year or when a vaccine is found. I wouldn't be planning anything around the pub for the moment. And for what's it's worth I cannot see how social distancing could work in a pub, it defeats the purpose of them imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Gallee

bazz26 wrote: »
    The way they are talking pubs might be one of the last businesses to reopen and maybe not until the end of the year or when a vaccine is found. I wouldn't be planning anything around the pub for the moment. And for what's it's worth I cannot see how social distancing could work in a pub, it defeats the purpose of them imo.

Agreed. 101, Amber, 1314 will not reopen until a vaccine is found. IF and that’s a big IF you had to pick a place that could implement SD then you only have a handful that could open. Forget the place - just think of the size. Smyths Bar, 1314, The Strand Hotel Bar and House? 4 huge places doing table service only? But who is going to go out? I go to Mickeys, Nancies, mother Macs etc. there is no way I am going to any of those places as long as that virus is around. After been so careful for so long the last thing I want is to be giving it to family member at home with underlying medical conditions . Am I really going to go to 1314 with 35-40 other customers and that’s the capacity and sitting down at a table? No. Would it be accurate to say that pubs can’t and won’t open for the foreseeable future?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

But if a vaccine is found, you can't force people to take it. So will it be a case that people will need to show a vaccine card before being allowed into a pub?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Cherrycoke wrote: »
    But if a vaccine is found, you can't force people to take it. So will it be a case that people will need to show a vaccine card before being allowed into a pub?

Who cares if anti vaxers get sick... Won't matter to those that have the vaccine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

MrLaurel wrote: »

While they might be big enough property wise to open with social distancing very few restaurants will open as they won't be able to cover costs and implement social distancing. There's a reason why tables are jammed into place
    lawred2 wrote: »
    Who cares if anti vaxers get sick... Won't matter to those that have the vaccine

Measles and several other disease where nearly wiped out with vaccines, they have come back with a vengeance since anti-vax became widespread. You need >90% population coverage with a vaccine for it to be effective. You can catch a virus even if you've been vaccinated, measles is a prime example.

Gallee wrote: »
    Agreed. 101, Amber, 1314 will not reopen until a vaccine is found. IF and that’s a big IF you had to pick a place that could implement SD then you only have a handful that could open. Forget the place - just think of the size. Smyths Bar, 1314, The Strand Hotel Bar and House? 4 huge places doing table service only? But who is going to go out? I go to Mickeys, Nancies, mother Macs etc. there is no way I am going to any of those places as long as that virus is around. After been so careful for so long the last thing I want is to be giving it to family member at home with underlying medical conditions . Am I really going to go to 1314 with 35-40 other customers and that’s the capacity and sitting down at a table? No. Would it be accurate to say that pubs can’t and won’t open for the foreseeable future?

Nancy’s will find it very hard to open with social distancing and as for Mickeys, I won’t be going inside there until there is a vaccine. The outside will be fine until you need to use a toilet. House could be one of those places that could open with limited seating but the club will be a non runner. 101 is big but too many small sections. I love a pint in Tom Collins but again too small to risk it.
    What happens when you have to get a cab home? You’ll have no idea who was in the cab before you!
    I don’t know, maybe it’ll be easier to just stay at home

No pub or restaurant can implement social distancing. Some of the comments here are ridiculous. Forget about your family get togethers for now.

No pub or restaurant can implement social distancing. Some of the comments here are ridiculous. Forget about your family get togethers for now.

If you had read my post correctly, you will see that our family get togethers are later in the year. November to be precise. Not all Pubs and restaurants will be closed in November. Some will have to open with Social Distancing in place, so that was why I posted in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Some pubs are working at measures for social distancing but it wont be the same as before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

After the scenes from Temple Bar in the very early days of restrictions I think the government will be slow to allow pubs open and trust publicans to manage the physical distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Gallee

Mc Love wrote: »
    Some pubs are working at measures for social distancing but it wont be the same as before.

That’s interesting. Do you know what pubs as a matter of interest? I would think that unless you have a huge bar it’s going to be impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

phog wrote: »
    After the scenes from Temple Bar in the very early days of restrictions I think the government will be slow to allow pubs open and trust publicans to manage the physical distancing.
    The actions of a few irresponsible idiots shouldn't dictate the entire industry. I see that Italy are planning to open pubs and restaurants on June 1st, although I'm not sure in what capacity. Maybe it will be outdoor seating only - given their climate, that would make sense. It will certainly be interesting to see how they manage it in Italy, and maybe we can learn from their lead

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

I honest dont think I'd feel comfortable going into a pub for a long time. In my local, as in everyone I'd say, there are a group of men who are there 7 days a week sitting in the same spot at the counter 364 days a year. I like to see someone try to put them at a table and make them use table service, won't happen!
    One of them when he gets the few pint on does his tour of the pub meeting and greeting everyone. Same fella can get a bit confrontational if your not interested in listening to him, which no one generally wants to. Who will tell him to sit down? Will the pubs actually police this? Every pub will have these guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭BobMc

also it may not be worthwhile for them to open, social distancing reducing numbers so much with costs and overheads
    it may not be economically viable to be open with restrictions, would a cover charge be needed? addtional cost per drink?
    a time limit (to allow everyone a chance) ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Gallee wrote: »
    That’s interesting. Do you know what pubs as a matter of interest? I would think that unless you have a huge bar it’s going to be impossible.

One that was in the press at the weekend:

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/plastic-snugs-and-seats-for-all-the-pub-after-the-pandemic-1.4236127

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Mc Love wrote: »

They need the numbers to cover costs, same overheads a third of the trade, won't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I can't see how any bar can social distance, standing or sitting or using the toilets.

When you add alcohol to anything in society then inhibitions go out the window. I feel really sorry for the trade. Off Licenses are allowed open because they cannot be told to close when the Supermarket is allowed to open. If a a hotel can open up again and open their own bar then every bar in Ireland will demand to be open as well.

Unless you own the building your pubs in then I cannot see how the landlord or tenant is going to handle the financial future of it as there is always somebody looking to get paid for rent/mortgage but on the front end nobody spending money to pay for any of it. It's not just the pubs either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

The actions of a few irresponsible idiots shouldn't dictate the entire industry. I see that Italy are planning to open pubs and restaurants on June 1st, although I'm not sure in what capacity. Maybe it will be outdoor seating only - given their climate, that would make sense. It will certainly be interesting to see how they manage it in Italy, and maybe we can learn from their lead

The vintners association didn't cover themselves in glory after the incident either, they never laid any portion of blame on the management just said the government need to give some advice, this was after the government requested social distancing and restaurants/shops had started to provide social distancing within their premises.

I know it was early days and people were still learning but there's zero excuse for what we saw in Temple Bar and the vintners reps should have called them out on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

in all probability a vaccine could be 18-24 months away, and that could be optimistic. i certainly don't know what the solution might look like, i know pubs innovated when the smoking ban came in, despite protests against it from publicans, but this is unlike anything anybody has experienced in their lifetime.

it may be a max head count will only be allowed per premises with no seats at the bar. costs of drinks could be prohibitively expensive. But Sweden did not close it's pubs, cafes or restaurants, and insisted on social distancing in each premises which i think worked.

That most Irish of institutions, the pub, might have to innovate once more to stay in business. would anybody bet against them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭James McNulty

So to answer the OPs original question
    Smaller pubs like Curragower, Toms, Mickey's, Commercial - No way can they open and inmpose social distancing
    Larger Pubs - 101, House, Jerry's - yes
    Nancys - maybe 30 or 40 people in the yard?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

restaurants and pubs are reopening in Italy the start of June. other countries are also including pubs reopening in their pathways. the gov have said that pubs and restaurants will have to be creative when thinking about reopening again

Advertisement