Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAT A Licence Bikes Tall Rider

Options
  • 25-04-2020 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭

Looking like I will need to sell car and thinking converting to bike in coming months.

Will need to get me CAT A licence sorted and have started looking at bikes.

I’m struggling to verify if some bikes meet the requirement for CAT A Licence test. The RSA list of suitable bikes is not exhaustive or where they appear it may not match correct description of bike.

Also I’m a tall rider 6’ 3” and would be receive recommendations for 650cc starter bike.

Currently on 650cc short list:

Honda CBF 600 - CAT A RSA
    Honda CB600F Hornet - CAT A RSA
    Kawasaki ER 6N - CAT A ?????
    Yamaha MT07 - CAT A ?????
    Suzuki V Strom 650 - CAT A RSA. ????
    Kawasaki Versys 650 - CAT A RSA ???

So how do I definitively confirm suitability of bikes for CAT A licence test requirements?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭dubal2008

MT07 is both just a matter of electronically restricting it, maybe look at a BMW for taller rider

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Looking to get my full CAT A licence as I am over 24.

Don’t need to restrict bike but aiming for around 650cc for insurance purposes.

Thanks for your suggestion on BMW. Will look at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

If you're looking for a bike with which to earn the cat A on, I will suggest to you what I suggest to everyone starting out - buy whatever bike you need or want and take the training and test on [the same] cat A school bike. It's what I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

I’ve a 2011 DL650.

Definitely suitable for the taller rider, only problem is they are 49kw so only suitable for an A2 test being 1kw short.

Did my test on an MT-07 which was 55kw and perfect for the full A.

cantdecide wrote: »
    If you're looking for a bike with which to earn the cat A on, I will suggest to you what I suggest to everyone starting out - buy whatever bike you need or want and take the training and test on [the same] cat A school bike. It's what I did.

That’s a good suggestion. The bike I would prefer to start out on is actually an A2 bike.

I had thought about buying the bike I want and using a CAT A school bike to do the actually test on. Was a bit concerned that I would not be as famililar with the school bike for test. I guess a couple of lessons before hand would sort that.

Good to hear others have taken this approach.

I think it makes sense to go for CAT A licence if I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    I think it makes sense to go for CAT A licence if I can.

I always tell people the same thing - even if all you want to ride is a scooter, it's nearly the same hassle and expense to ride a cat A bike as a scooter.

Also look here. This tool allows you to enter your height and inner seam measurement to see a representation of yourself on pretty much every major make and model. It's handy when you're long or short of leg as a check.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

PCeeeee wrote: »

Thanks PC. Was looking at that but appears not to cover all models.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Thanks PC. Was looking at that but appears not to cover all models.

Oh, on second look it appears you're quite right. I'm almost certain I seen the Versys on that list before. In any case I have an 09 Versys and it won't do for CAT A (44kW). I think some of the newer ones were up a touch on power so I'm not sure about them.

Kawasaki ER 6N is on it and is CAT A. MT-07 is on it and is CAT A.

The CAT list is so limiting. I will have to hire a bike for the test.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭schaffer

The RSA list is so out of date, I'd suggest using the UK one as a reference.
    The test requirements are pretty much the same.

Cat A Ireland requirements
    Cat A UK requirements

I did my test a number of years back on an MT-07, when it was fairly new, and there was confusion if it met the required weight. It does wet but not dry, and the meaning of "wet and dry" differs depending on the manufacturer.
    I emailed the RSA asking if it met the requirements and sent a link to the UK list. I got confirmation a few days later saying it did, so I took this email to test centre in case I got queried. Would be worth while doing this if in doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Id play around with this for a while and see what suits your frame....just select the bike and input your details and it will show you how it will be on said bike. No point finding a bike to suit the test and then find you look like an elephant on a honda 50!!!!

http://cycle-ergo.com/

Advertisement