Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Drone Suggestion

• 25-04-2020 10:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭

Any help be appreciated please, im looking to buy a Drone to be able to look in on livestock on the farm in the maternity field I have them contained in.
    I need live view, reasonable fly time. Budget is 500, I know that may be tight could be ok second hand. Been doing alot of reading in this forum and cant seem to pick one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Been doing a lot of Research myself and it looks like dji Mavic mini would be perfect for your needs, flight time of about 25-27mins, 2km range but u may not get that deoeinv on other interference in the area. The fly more combo comes in at €499 and has spare batteries, case ,charging dock etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Podge201

Thanks for reply, I see that model one being mentioned too in a Facebook Drone page. Where is that one for sale with that package?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,889 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Theres a drone reseller in Co Clare who sells dji.
    They'd be a good contact to ask some brand specific questions of I'd say. Cant remember their name but they should be easy enough find.

I'd be concerned that an advertised range of 2km is in optimum line of sight conditions without interference and the real world reality may be much less.

Also, bear in mind that they can be quite noisy and so could bother the animals, particularly if you need to get down quite close to view them.

I have an anafi, so not familiar with specifics of dji.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭banie01

FIMI X8 SE 2020 model maybe?

3 axis gimbal, 4k HDR camera, 8km range and 32min flight time all look excellent and price is very competitive too IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭mulbot

Been doing a lot of Research myself and it looks like dji Mavic mini would be perfect for your needs, flight time of about 25-27mins, 2km range but u may not get that deoeinv on other interference in the area. The fly more combo comes in at €499 and has spare batteries, case ,charging dock etc.

My brother just bought one lately and its a really brilliant liitle thing. Best by far I've seen of the mini drones. Bit pricey but well worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Podge201 wrote: »
    Thanks for reply, I see that model one being mentioned too in a Facebook Drone page. Where is that one for sale with that package?

Harvey Norman. Next day delivery.

https://www.harveynorman.ie/cameras-drones/drones-ireland/all-drones/dji-mavic-mini-with-fly-more-combo.html

On the specs of the mavic mini is says maximum altitude 10m. What does it mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭mulbot

On the specs of the mavic mini is says maximum altitude 10m. What does it mean?

I'll ask in a bit to see does he know, it definitely goes higher, maybe its something to do with restricted heights? I'm not familiar with the laws regarding heights, he did say something about it being under a certain weight for some reason or other, maybe someone else here can explain properly

banie01 wrote: »
    FIMI X8 SE 2020 model maybe?

3 axis gimbal, 4k HDR camera, 8km range and 32min flight time all look excellent and price is very competitive too IMO.

Only available via banggood and warranty only 30days. I was tempted by the fimi buy no refresh type insurance and lack of warranty a deal breaker

Drone works ireland have them, Irish seller based in Galway and official dji reseller, would deliver in a day or 2 Id say too, also supporting small business in these times fiver cheaper to https://www.droneworksireland.ie/product/dji-mavic-mini-fly-more-combo/

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for information and advice. It seems the mavic mini is best option. With three batteries it's 1.5 hours fly time so that's loads.
    Just one more query has it fly home when battery is getting low?

Thanks everyone for information and advice. It seems the mavic mini is best option. With three batteries it's 1.5 hours fly time so that's loads.

Yes it has return to home feature but just ensure u return to home height is set to higher then tress etc around u. You tube has loads of good vids and tutorials on the mini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Just do decent research on 'actual' range, I've seen some bad reports but that could be built up areas which I take it your farm isn't.

But what distance is your field away? Are there masts? Is it line of sight (ie will you get a good live feed or be restricted to recording and watching back)

I have the Fimi x8 Se and the range is decent although I'm fairly chicken to push it beyond 2.5km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,889 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

If you are getting close to nailing down your choice. Try to talk to recommended resellers in order to do a trial fly before you buy.

That will give you a much better feel for something before you pull the trigger to buy.

Advertisement