Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vodafone BB with VoIP Showing Wrong Number

• 25-04-2020 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

My parents have Vodafone Gigabit BB for about the last two years with the landline coming over the same SIRO line in the form of VoIP.

My father was telling me that the landline had stopped working but the internet in the house was still working fine. I did a video call with him to see that the cable had come lose from the phone and I got him to plug it back in. However after this I still wasn't able to call the landline but he was able to ring me but for some reason the number came up with a completely different number and it was an Arklow number (0402 area code) which is two hours away from my parents house (042 area code).

I looked up their bill and I can see from Jan of this year they haven't been charged for any calls. They have an add on for 6€ 'Unlimited Local & National Mins' and then strangely they always have a credit on their account of 6€ which is deducted from their bill so I'm not sure does that have anything to do with it or is that just the fact they haven't been using it.

I rang up Vodafone 4 weeks ago and a week ago but while they said they would be in contact with me about it me nor my father (who is the account holder) haven't heard anything from them.

The last guy I talked to suggested that it might be a crossed line at the exchange but wasn't sure. But he did test the line by ring both numbers to confirm my issue.

My question is (I think it's highly unlikely but wanted to confirm) could this have been anything to do with how my father reconnected the phone cable into the phone? Or is this definitely something on their end?

Also with the landline coming in over the SIRO fibre cable and this is a crossed line issue to fix this would a require an engineer to fix it at the exchange box or is it just a flick of a button on a computer screen?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

There’s no such thing as a “crossed line at the exchange.” They’re hardly running on 1970s crossbar exchanges, nor is your VoIP service even provided by an exchange. It’s carried back to a “softswitch” over your broadband connection. It’s just a service provided by software running on servers.

They’ve assigned you the wrong number or, if you’re moving your existing landline, they haven’t ported it.

There’s no physical wiring involved in any of this. It’s just configuring something with an entry on a system that updates a database.

You need to call their technical support and them to port your phone number. If there was a traditional landline and it was with another company, you just need to provide them with the UAN number printed on your bill and they may request a copy of the bill in some cases for security.

The porting usually is very quick on landlines these days. It’s just a matter of updating a database.

If the phone number has been abandoned for a long time, they may have difficulty at this stage recovering it as they go back into the pool after a fixed time.

They should be able to assign you a number in 0402 though regardless.

If your broadband is working, your Siro wiring is entirely fine. This is a Vodafone clerical error.

Advertisement